deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Teysa Karlov  (Read 574 times)

Firegriff

• Decks
Teysa Karlov
« on: February 03, 2019, 09:43:09 pm »
Just wondering everyone's thoughts on her.  With Teysa Karlov on the field, how does she interact with the abilities of Priest of Forgotten Gods and Whisper, Blood Liturgist?  I was looking at the rulings, and it seems like sacrificing creatures to activate does not copy the activated ability to happen twice (sadly).  Am I reading it correctly?  Or would Whispet be able to call back two creatures at once by sacrificing two?

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Teysa Karlov
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 10:33:24 pm »
Teysa Karlov's ability only copies death triggers, not sacrifice triggers. So Tithe Taker dying creates two spirit tokens. But sacrificing a creature with Dark-Dweller Oracle doesn't let you exile two cards. Sacrificing the creature is a cost, instead of an effect in itself.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 10:37:41 pm »
It's not that it doesn't copy "sac triggers" (which aren't a thing) it's just that those aren't triggered abilities they're activated and so aren't "triggered" by the death, it's just a cost.
Nils is the God I worship

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 11:45:04 pm »
They are correct.  Teysa Karlov won't copy activated abilities.  To tell the difference between activated and triggered abilities ...

An activated ability is written as "cost:effect".  There is pretty much always a colon in an activated ability.  In the cases of Priest and Whisper, the cost includes the tap symbol and sacrificing creatures.  An activated ability is something that the player chooses when to activate and pay the cost.

A triggered ability typically begins with the words "When" or "Whenever".  Something like "When this creature dies" or "Whenever a creature you control dies".  There typically is no cost associated with a triggered ability.  It is something that will happen whenever the condition is met whether you want it to or not.

Blood Artist and Black Market are examples of triggered abilities that Teysa Karlov will double.

Happy Brewing!
:) 
Happy Brewing!
:)

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 02:39:26 am »
That is what I thought.  But Thraximundar will argue on the sac trigger...

nickelphoenix

• Casual EDH player studying the ways of Witch-Maw.
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 02:45:26 am »
That is what I thought.  But Thraximundar will argue on the sac trigger...

None of that makes reference to “dies” “dying” or being “put into a graveyard”. Teysa will not trigger.