deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Graveyards aren't graveyards... They're just another hand!  (Read 887 times)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Graveyards aren't graveyards... They're just another hand!

I would love suggestions on how to make this deck better. I'm trying to keep it budget, so no really expensive cards. It's a somewhat control-ish deck that just wants to wait it out until late-game when it can combo off and win.

I particularly would like some more wallet friendly protection cards (to replace Glen-Elendra Archmage & Sylvan Safekeeper)

To win: Get either of the 2 infinite mana combos going, draw entire deck, play Walking Ballista/Lab Maniac & Gitaxian Probe and win. Not very efficient, but it's a budget deck. Any more efficient win conditions that aren't expensive are more than welcome.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
If the mana ramp package was better you could use Isochron Scepter and Dramatic Reversal as a budget-friendly infinite mana combo. It wouldn't even cost that much to improve the mana ramp; Elves of Deep Shadow, Arbor Elf, Golgari Signet, Simic Signet, Dimir Signet, Talisman of Dominance, Elvish Mystic, and Llanowar Elves.

Also Sol Ring. Always Sol Ring.

Schlodz

• Decks
with her abilty to recur stuff from graveyards and the hate she draws on herself i think command beacon should be a consideration

Judaspriester

• Decks
If you want to reduce the deck price, you could replace Vampiric Tutor with Diabolic Intent. The additional cost of sacrificing a creature doesn't hurt you that much.

Some Suggestions for your removal Section:
Seal of Doom
Agent of Erebos (keep your opponents graveyards clear)
Plaguecrafter
Nevermaker (expensive manawise, but with muldrotha abusable)

For Card Advantage:
Aid from the Cowl
Monastery Siege
Kiora, Master of the Depths (basical do the same as you want to do with the other kiora)

Mana Ramp:
Dreamscape Artist
Fellwar Stone
Millikin (also allows selfmill)
Ashnod's Altar (great sac outlet)

Then some other cards I would reccomend:
Elephant Grass (if the upkeep gets to expensive, just sac and recast it)
Journey to Eternity (recursion)

Then, about your mana base. I think 40 lands is a little much. muldrotha should also work with 36-38 lands. The cycling lands may seem nice because of the card advantage, but I'm not sure I would play them, because they really slow you down. without raising the budget much, i would suggest check lands (like Hinterland Harbor). Myriad Landscape and Blighted Woodland could also be interesting.
If you want something better than the Ghost Quater without investing in a Strip Mine, Tectonic Edge is an interesting option. Its a little more resticted, but doesn't allow your opponent to fetch a basic land.

@schlodz Command Beacon is a nice idea, but have you checked the price? just checked on card market, ~18€, so im kinda sure its out of range for the budget.

/edit: about another wincon: Devoted Druid + Quillspike + Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord.
Use The Devoted Druid to make the Quillspike infinite/infinite and than sacrifice him into Jarad for infinite lifeloss for your opponents.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:57:38 am by Judaspriester »
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Soren841

• Decks
Never replace good tutors. Cut something that ISN'T a tutor for Diabolic Intent.
Nils is the God I worship

Himate123

• Decks
I'm a big fan of The Mending of Dominaria as both 'card draw', ramp and recursion.

Judaspriester

• Decks
Never replace good tutors. Cut something that ISN'T a tutor for Diabolic Intent.

In common I agree with you, but like I already said "If you want to reduce the deck price...". For me it sounds like GolgariFTW wants to keep the deck price low. In this case 4.50€ for Diabolic Intent is a little different to 25€ for Vampiric Tutor (both average prices on card market). Yes, the Intent is worse than Vampiric, but much more afordable.

Soren841

• Decks
I wouldn't compromise on staples for budget.

Judaspriester

• Decks

Well, we could spend another hour or two on this discussion, but to be honest, i'm not sure it would be worth the time.
I've mentioned the intent as another somewhat budget Tutor, that COULD replace Vampiric, if the price really matters (otherwise other cards could be cut for it). The Decision itself is up to GolgariFTW, not to us. ;)

As a personal note: at least until now, im not willing to spend 25€ for a single piece of paper, even if its an interesting one. If someone else thinks different about this, well, im fine with it as long as the budget doesn't decide the match.

Hugin27

• Decks
Really like the list! I´m currently planning a Muldrotha Deck, too. ;) You might consider adding some way to protect your graveyard, like Perpetual Timepiece for example, which can mill you AND shuffle your GY back into your library. In addition you should propably add some graveyard-hate, but of course, this depends on your meta. But at least a Bojuka Bog never hurts. Regarding the tutor discussion: Jarad's Order and/or Final Parting are very budget friendly and work great with Muldrotha. Especially the latter could find you any creature + Animate Dead.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Wow, that's a lot of response overnight. I'll try address them all. Thanks for the input!

Well, we could spend another hour or two on this discussion, but to be honest, i'm not sure it would be worth the time.
I've mentioned the intent as another somewhat budget Tutor, that COULD replace Vampiric, if the price really matters (otherwise other cards could be cut for it). The Decision itself is up to GolgariFTW, not to us. ;)

As a personal note: at least until now, im not willing to spend 25€ for a single piece of paper, even if its an interesting one. If someone else thinks different about this, well, im fine with it as long as the budget doesn't decide the match.

Alright, ladies and gents, I can resolve this debate with a simple 4 word phrase: I own Vampiric Tutor. Easy as that ;D.
Now, I do want more cheaper tutors to help hit my combos (I feel like that's my biggest problem), so I am greatly considering Final Parting and Diabolic Intent. Let me know what you think about those 2 and what cards to cut for them. I am thinking to cut Kodama's Reach & Cultivate because they were leftovers from before I realized that Muldrotha's ability specifies "permanent" cards only.

I'm a big fan of The Mending of Dominaria as both 'card draw', ramp and recursion.

Yeah, I forgot about that card. When I make the decision in terms of what to cut and what to include, I'll include that. Judaspriester, you suggested I cut a couple lands, so I might replace one of them with Mending of Dominaria.

@Judaspriester: Thanks for all the suggestions, I like these the most:
Seal of Doom
Aid from the Cowl
Monastery Siege
Kiora, Master of the Depths
Millikin
Elephant Grass (I'm not so sure about this one, but it looks nice)
What should I cut? I think the current Kiora is worse than the one you suggested, so should I just swap them?
About your win condition: I love it and want to include it very, very bad. I already own a Jarad, and the other 2 are cheap. What do I cut? Should I cut one of the "Draw Your Deck" cards? I honestly don't know.
About the lands, my play group is very casual. I played a game where I played 5 taplands in a row, and I was completely fine. I do think the checklands are a good alternative, and if I ever get around to upgrading this deck, they will be swapped in. It's just that the current cyclelands are really cheap and work well with Muldrotha, so I think they should be in there.

@Morganator 2.0: I chose the ramp I chose because they synergize with Muldrotha. In particular, I chose the Lockets over the Signets because of their repeatable card draw abilities. If you think that the Signets are still better, then I'll swap them in. I know Sol Ring is a format staple, but in a 3 color deck and no value in recurring it, I don't know if it needs to be run. Again, if you think it is still necessary, then I'll include it.

@Hugin27: I really like Perpetual Timepiece, so I might swap out Sylvan Safekeeper for it. I did some research, and I like Feldon's Cane, also. I am considering cutting Swiftfoot Boots/Lightning Greaves. Which would be a better cut, considering budget, etc.?

So, my current considered cuts:
2 lands
Kodama's Reach
Cultivate
Kiora, The Crashing Wave
Sylvan Safekeeper
Lightning Greaves/Swiftfoot Boots

If I could get some more suggestions in terms of good cuts, it would be much appreciated. Here's what I want to add:
Final Parting
Diabolic Intent
The Mending of Dominaria
Seal of Doom
Aid from the Cowl
Monastery Siege
Kiora, Master of the Depths
Millikin
Perpetual Timepiece
Feldon's Cane

Looks like I need 3 more cuts.

Thanks in advance!  :D

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks

@Morganator 2.0: I chose the ramp I chose because they synergize with Muldrotha. In particular, I chose the Lockets over the Signets because of their repeatable card draw abilities. If you think that the Signets are still better, then I'll swap them in. I know Sol Ring is a format staple, but in a 3 color deck and no value in recurring it, I don't know if it needs to be run. Again, if you think it is still necessary, then I'll include it.

Signets are still better than lockets (it's a weak draw effect to begin with), and I have only ever seen one deck that didn't want to use Sol Ring.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
I swapped out the lockets for signets and swapped out Cultivate for Sol Ring.

Revision 2

Added/removed cards:
-1 Cultivate
-1 Dimir Locket
-1 Golgari Locket
-1 Simic Locket
+1 Dimir Signet
+1 Golgari Signet
+1 Simic Signet
+1 Sol Ring

Soren841

• Decks
Morganator what deck wouldn't use Sol Ring?

Judaspriester

• Decks
I strongly recommend NOT to cut Swiftfoot Boots/Lightning Greaves. I don't know about your current playgorup, but at least at mine, muldrotha is a high priority target for spot removal. so it seems to be a bad idea for me to make this easier for your opponents.

About the cuts:
3 Basics
Burnished Hart (there are better options)
Pull from Tomorrow
Sylvan Safekeeper
Nyx Weaver (I prefere Monastery Siege for this slot, because you can control which card goes into graveyard)
Gilt-Leaf Winnower (to conditional)

then, what about replacing an basic land with Myriad Landscape?

Besides that, you should keep in mind that your opponents could exile your graveyard or play stuff like Rest in Peace. Because of this I prefere stuff where I can control when or what goes into graveyard. also keep in mind that your graveyard is public visible, your hand isn't. ;)
At my Muldrohta deck, I usually try to get enough threads in my graveyard so that my opponents want to empty it, but not enough that it would really break my neck if they do. A 30 card "hand" may seem great, but if you're to greedy, you might run into trouble.

About cards that shuffle your graveyard back into your library, my prefered option here is Elixir of Immortality, because its cheap and reusable.

Btw, you should also consider something that brings back your instants/sorceries out of your graveyard, in case you milled them.