deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: A good Boros commander  (Read 1040 times)

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
Re: A good Boros commander
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 07:29:52 pm »
@Red_Wyrm The problem with attacking in multiplayer is, that its usually to slow, compared with other options to win the game. It may work at the kitchen table, or in a small group with a really agressive deck, but if the deck budgets rise higher, the chances drop to win a game this way.
Your example with infinite Aurelia's may seem like a proof that attacking works, but first of all, its not the attacking itself, its the combo that makes this that efficient. and then, its very easy to stop this. Spore Frog, Constant Mists etc. Besides that, you need to play Aurelia first, and than manage to get another 9 mana (or some tricks to play and/or equip the helm) before you can finish off.

I guess I can understand that. And you are right, the combo is what is winning, and combo decks can be easily stopped with a simple, well timed counterspell, or another form of control such as path to exile or Krosan Grip. Better control cards are more expensive usually, so as budgets increase, I can see control becoming better than aggro, especially considering you have to do 120 damage.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

TrueNeutralPaladin

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 08:05:21 pm »
White and Red historically do not draw cards. Red gets wheels but they wont make a boros wheel commander. White basically never gets card draw.

There are at least two precedents: Browbeat and Inheritance. Both would seem to indicate openess (at the time of their design) to card draw in any color if the flavor or theme is appropriate.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 08:30:00 pm »
So paying 3 to draw when a creature dies is not good enough. Browbeat is another common draw effect in red. You get wheels, looting, or "draw or damage." The problem is no one in EDH would choose draw.
Nils is the God I worship

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 08:40:21 pm »
Browbeat and Mentor of the Meek are options for card draw... their just not good. That's what Boros is lacking; good card draw. Good tutor effects. Good win-conditions.

And I hope that with commander 2019, we start to see an improvement in these areas.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 08:43:27 pm »
>all 4 c19 decks are boros

>none of them are any good

>higher MSRP
Nils is the God I worship

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 09:05:33 pm »
>none of them are any good

>higher MSRP

Hey its c18
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red