deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Mono White vs Colorless EDH  (Read 607 times)

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
Mono White vs Colorless EDH
« on: March 05, 2019, 06:42:07 pm »
Hello everyone!

We all know mono white is the worst color in commander. Second would be red, and that is why boros is so sucky, although red is a few steps above white from my experience.

What do you think is better? White or Colorless?

I have never actually seen anyone play a colorless edh deck, though I know they're possible. I imagine colorless would be inferior to white in general, but I think the commander choice for the colorless deck would influence the game a lot. If you chose Hope of Ghirapur or Traxos, Scourge of Kroog, especially the latter, you would want an artifact heavy deck whereas if you picked one of the eldrazi titans, you would be playing eldrazi tribal. I think the colorless decks would vary greatly depending on the commander whereas the monowhite decks are all doing the same thing so the commander choice isn't really important. You would just want pure value in the commander like Elesh Norn, Granc Cenbiote or Avacyn, Angel of Hope.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Mono White vs Colorless EDH
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 06:58:14 pm »
I've seen a few colorless decks. One Karn, Silver Golem , a Kozilek, the Great Distortion, and a Hope of Ghirapur. I'm honestly more worried when I see a colorless deck than when I see a mono-white or a Boros deck at the table. They're far from Tier 1 but the ones I've seen are better than the mono-white decks I've seen.
This space for rent.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 01:38:05 pm »
I've seen a few colorless decks. One Karn, Silver Golem , a Kozilek, the Great Distortion, and a Hope of Ghirapur. I'm honestly more worried when I see a colorless deck than when I see a mono-white or a Boros deck at the table. They're far from Tier 1 but the ones I've seen are better than the mono-white decks I've seen.

Why do you think that is? In theory a mono white deck has access to all the cards a colorless deck has access to except for a few of the new eldrazi the require specifically colorless, but colored decks can usually still generate colorless mana.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 02:45:30 pm »
Why do you think that is? In theory a mono white deck has access to all the cards a colorless deck has access to except for a few of the new eldrazi the require specifically colorless, but colored decks can usually still generate colorless mana.

Mhh.. from my experience most players don't think about all the options colorless offers. They usually pick what their colors offer them, add some colorless evergreens or specific stuff like equipments and thats it. sometimes they even spend time to find a solution for a special problem their colorset can't solve but this is already rare.
If you build colorless instead, you make a huge step away from the cards you usually know and use. So you are forced to go different ways. This is also what makes colorless decks somewhat dangerous: you lack information about what its able to do.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 05:41:09 pm »
Colorless has better commanders than white. Boros is also worse than mono red for that same reason.
Nils is the God I worship

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 05:43:56 pm »
Judaspriester and Soren pretty much nailed my thoughts.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 05:56:28 pm »
Commanders like Kozilek, the Great Distortion have an effect that you can build around (in this case, the counterspell effect). Mono white (and Boros) don't have enough legendary creatures with effects you can build around.

And to be fair, colorless is only marginally better than mono-white. Both of these decks have garbage card advantage, so they are very easy to outlast.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 06:10:52 pm »
More importantly, both Kozileks draw..
Nils is the God I worship