deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Trying to build a fun pingers/tims deck  (Read 391 times)

iconic

• Decks
[EDH / Commander] Trying to build a fun pingers/tims deck
« on: March 05, 2019, 04:44:15 am »
Deck: Partners in Pinging

I am currently working on a fun deck that utilizes creatures that tap for damage. I'd love it if you could take the time to look it over and give me any tips that you have. Any and all feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Commander Choice
I chose these commanders for specific reasons. Firstly, they are exactly the colors I wanted. Blue and red both have several decent pingers while green has several creatures that benefit from taking damage, such as Fungusaur and Polyraptor. Additionally, Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist allows us to capitalize on pinging our opponents by drawing us a card at the end of our turn.

Strategy
The strategy is fairly simple: pingers will allow us to draw a bunch of cards off of abilities such as Ophidian Eye and Curiosity. They will also allow us to safely damage our own creatures that benefit from getting hurt, such as Fungusaur, Polyraptor, Fungus Sliver, Hornet Nest, etc... Finally, we can suit our pingers up with deathtouch to clear the way for some of these bigger creatures and swing in for the win (bonus points if you give Goblin Sharpshooter deathtouch and clear out all of your opponents creatures in a single turn).

Let me know if you have any suggestions for the deck, I'd be glad to hear any and all feedback!
Happy pinging!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 05:20:09 am by iconic »

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Trying to build a fun pingers/tims deck
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 08:38:29 am »
Here's my quick advice:

This is basically a green Izzet deck.  Izzet decks draw boatloads of cards.  You shouldn't have any trouble hitting land drops.   You also have green, which gives you access to the best ramp.  With your 9 pieces of ramp already in the deck, you shouldn't need to run 40 lands.  I would probably run 34.  Cut everything that enters tapped with no real advantage for you.  (Gain 1 life is NOT an advantage enough.)  Then you could put in your entire 6-card Maybeboard.

Haven't really looked over the deck's contents other than that.  Seems like an interesting concept that could work at a casual table.

Happy Brewing!
:)
Happy Brewing!
:)

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 10:35:29 am »
I mostly agree with ApothecaryGeist. Get rid of some lands (34-35 should be enough) and add a card like Wayward Swordtooth for an additional land drop. You should draw enough lands to make use out of this.

If you got some budget left and want to improve your mana base, I suggest check lands (e.g. Rootbound Crag) and battle lands (in your case just Cinder Glade) for the beginning. Both types are interesting since they help color fixing and have a chance to enter untapped.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

iconic

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 03:54:16 pm »
Thanks for the comments! Mana bases are definitely a weak point of mine, especially when building on a budget, I'll be sure to give the land base some more love.

Thanks!

PurplePlat

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 04:28:00 pm »
because of the draw focus, I would suggest psychic corrosion as an alternate win con or just to get rid their stuff

iconic

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 04:41:42 pm »
Oooh, yeah something like that could be kinda cool, I'll certainly think about it. Thanks!

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 04:43:01 pm »
because of the draw focus, I would suggest psychic corrosion as an alternate win con or just to get rid their stuff

Nice Idea, just keep in mind, that you can do a great favour to some decks that rely on stuff in their graveyard. My Muldrotha deck would thank for some additional mill.  ;)
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

iconic

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 05:01:40 pm »
Haha, good point. There's only one deck in my play group that relies on the graveyard so I think it would be okay. I'm gonna think about it, but it probably won't make it in just because one mill card is not likely to make much of a difference.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 09:00:40 pm »
More ramp would be a good idea  ::) I can help with the mana base if you're going budgetless but otherwise just stick to like 34 lands and like 12 pieces of ramp
Nils is the God I worship