deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Feather the... Boros Spellslinger?  (Read 1554 times)

Judaspriester

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Feather the... Boros Spellslinger?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 09:36:35 am »
Helm of Awakening is dangerous, I'd steer clear of it. But if you can pull it off then why not!

Is there a particular reason you're not running Steelshaper's Gift?

I'm not sure what you mean by Helm of Awakening being dangerous. Do you mean that it's overpowered?

The problem with Helm of Awakening is, that its symetrical. This could allow your opponents to kick off their combos some turns earlier, but the risk depends alot on your playgroup. As long as you think it benefits you more than them, its fine.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 02:24:47 pm »
Helm of Awakening is dangerous, I'd steer clear of it. But if you can pull it off then why not!

I'm not sure what you mean by Helm of Awakening being dangerous. Do you mean that it's overpowered?

The problem with Helm of Awakening is, that its symetrical. This could allow your opponents to kick off their combos some turns earlier, but the risk depends alot on your playgroup. As long as you think it benefits you more than them, its fine.

^This. Helm of Awakening is symmetrically nest used if most of your spells are CMC 2 and at least 1 mana is colourless. Other than that you might need to do something weird to blink it, turn it off or something. Probably too complicated for a spellslinger (as opposed to an artifact / control synergy). You have two similar options: Semblance Anvil or Cloud Key. Yes, they're 1 mana more to cast and the anvil is also card disadvantage but they really do pay off in the long run. I know I would get a lot of value from an opponent's Helm. It's a bit like Howling Mine but for mana and you can't really turn it off effectively.

Other options: Pearl Medallion, Ruby Medallion, Primal Amulet, Seal of the Guildpact
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Slappy T-Rex

• Decks
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 07:00:16 pm »

^This. Helm of Awakening is symmetrically nest used if most of your spells are CMC 2 and at least 1 mana is colourless. Other than that you might need to do something weird to blink it, turn it off or something. Probably too complicated for a spellslinger (as opposed to an artifact / control synergy). You have two similar options: Semblance Anvil or Cloud Key. Yes, they're 1 mana more to cast and the anvil is also card disadvantage but they really do pay off in the long run. I know I would get a lot of value from an opponent's Helm. It's a bit like Howling Mine but for mana and you can't really turn it off effectively.

Other options: Pearl Medallion, Ruby Medallion, Primal Amulet, Seal of the Guildpact

Ahhh... I see. That's a great point, I think I'll be pulling that out. Thanks to both of you for spelling it for me. I already have primal amulet in there but pearl medallion or seal of the guild pack could be interesting options. For now I may just slot in another mana rock or an extra combat trick or another cantrip....argh decisions!

Alassion

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 06:51:51 pm »
consider the new m21 Unleash Fury

Slappy T-Rex

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2020, 12:08:09 am »
consider the new m21 Unleash Fury

It's on my list ;)

Nothing like doubling a creature's power and then giving it double strike.