deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: New modern deck need your input please  (Read 902 times)

Lvmagicman

• Decks
New modern deck need your input please
« on: April 24, 2019, 11:51:25 pm »
Returning to Magic after a 12 year break to so many new formats originally looked into legacy but no shops here can keep tournaments firing and thought standard would be too expensive so settled on modern. On a budget so I went with burn. Been through several revisions but looking to take this deck to a tournament next week so let me know what you think my chances are  or what could be improved thanks.

https://deckstats.net/decks/130869/1273202-burn-it-down-

GamerAwsome101

• Decks
Re: New modern deck need your input please
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 12:08:00 am »
well how much are you working with $$$
i like platypuses

GamerAwsome101

• Decks
i like platypuses

Lvmagicman

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 03:01:45 am »
So if I add those what am I pulling exactly?

Lvmagicman

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 03:18:55 am »
And as far budget if the shop near me had it I can trade in my older cards for credit and get new cards I want within reasonable price range

Inphyy77

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 10:10:25 am »
 All of the creatures you have in your list have been eclipsed by faster, more aggressive creatures. Monastery Swiftspear, Eidolon of the Great Revel, (the somewhat pricey) Goblin Guide, and 1-2 copies of Grim Lavamancer are pretty much all you see in modern burn for creatures.

Your tap lands need to go as well. Speed is the name of the game for burn. If you're not gonna grab fetches/shocks due to budget, I would suggest Inspiring Vantage and Clifftop Retreat.

For burn spells, you have some inefficient choices in Incinerate, Lightning Strike, and Searing Spear. Consider Rift Bolt, Skewer the Critics, Searing Blaze, or Light Up the Stage in those slots. You want three damage for one mana if you can get it.

Your sideboard also can free up a few slots by cutting Boil, Cindervines, Jungle Shrine, and Goblin Chainwhirler. With 11 slots open, I would suggest four copies of Skullcrack, and a mix of Searing Blood, Smash to Smithereens, Defecting Palm, Wear/Tear, and Kor Firewalker.

None of the cards I listed will break the bank (excepting Goblin Guide), and will drastically increase the speed of your deck. :)

Lvmagicman

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 03:41:52 pm »
First the point of the deck is the guttersnipe/electrostatic field combo that turns all those bolt spells into 6 damage which is why the rest of the deck is built that way. I'm not dropping $20 on the damage or pain lands just out of principle to be honest. I appreciate the input but don't want to look like a net Decker. Never was my style before to play main stream and not going to start with net decks now. I understand decks are currently extremely fast but I'll take my chances right now and see what happens and if I get my ass handed to me I'll be more than happy to post it next week and take my I told you so's. Thanks still open to any other suggestions but don't have time to order a whole new deck on line and get it here before next Wednesday.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 04:14:13 pm »
If you're looking to go all in to the Guttersnipe/Electrostatic Field route, then I'd lean in harder. Drop the Ball Lightnings add in another 2 mana creature that works on theme: Thermo-Alchemist or Firebrand Archer.

You need some form of card advantage to cast more burn spells faster: Light Up the Stage and Experimental Frenzy are the new hotness, but I am also a fan of Risk Factor.

Speaking of Spectacle spells, they are easy to turn on in your deck. Some number of Skewer the Critics would be nice upgrades to Searing Spear or Lightning Strike.

I agree with ditching the tapped lands. Burn needs to run fast. I'd stick with mono red, or get your hands on some Battlefield Forge or Clifftop Retreat style lands that can come in untapped.

Sideboard Mindsparker as a budget Eidolon. Deafening Clarion also works well in your side, because the Field survives the wipe, and the other mode makes all your pingers heal you as well, and it clears out tokens, mana droks, Soul Sisters, and aggro threats.

Inphyy77

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 07:39:46 pm »
First the point of the deck is the guttersnipe/electrostatic field combo that turns all those bolt spells into 6 damage which is why the rest of the deck is built that way. I'm not dropping $20 on the damage or pain lands just out of principle to be honest. I appreciate the input but don't want to look like a net Decker. Never was my style before to play main stream and not going to start with net decks now. I understand decks are currently extremely fast but I'll take my chances right now and see what happens and if I get my ass handed to me I'll be more than happy to post it next week and take my I told you so's. Thanks still open to any other suggestions but don't have time to order a whole new deck on line and get it here before next Wednesday.

Understood. I just say "returning, burn, budget, help" and made some suggestions based off that. =)

I'd say with a budget unwilling to drop $20 on lands, stick to mono coloured builds. So with mono red in mind, you're likely going to want to lean more into the pinger plan. I'd personally advocate for the following:

Out
4 Ball Lightning
2 Jungle Shrine
4 Wind-scarred Crag
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Helix
4 Searing Spear
4 Lightning Strike
4 Incinerate

In
5 Mountain
4 Skewer the Critics
4 Rift Bolt
4 Thermo-Alchemist
3 Light Up the Stage
4 Skullcrack
4 Needle Drop

For your sideboard, I'd consider something along the lines of:
4 Smash to Smithereens
3 Tormod's Crypt
3 Scab-Clan Berserker
3 Slagstorm
2 Dragon's Claw

None of those suggestions should break the bank, and will make for a more streamlined deck.

Lvmagicman

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 07:44:43 pm »
So what if I dropped the white and just went mono red adding the thermo-alchemist, fire brand archers, skewer the critics, and risk factor and drop the white cards ball lighting and searing spear?

Lvmagicman

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 10:06:20 pm »

Based on stores inventory and a trade in I can do I think this will be the deck I use next week.

Lvmagicman

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 08:29:06 pm »
Final version was only able to get 2 skull crack and 2 risk factor so this is the final version I'll be playing Wednesday

Lvmagicman

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 05:11:01 pm »
Only 6 people but had 2 reshuffle twice first round 1st game so that didn't go well. Went out 0-2 did have him down to 4 life 2nd round.

2nd match up was doing okay but than got blasted for 20 from a Planeswalker Tizzet or how ever you spell it. Got him down to 6 2nd round he pulled out an artifact made him hexproof I drew my smash to smithereens he regenerated his artifact took him down to 4 with creature damage which he than killed and gained life for. Than he played a saga card that on the 3rd phase turned his 6 artifacts all into 5/5 creatures which again at 20 life I got crushed. Thanks for all the help but back to the drawing board.