deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: When you're torn on which direction to take a deck?  (Read 621 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
When you're torn on which direction to take a deck?
« on: May 02, 2019, 02:20:38 pm »
So when you're torn on which direction to take a deck, how do you decide?

I ask because at the moment I'm very torn on my Sidisi, Brood Tyrant deck. It started out as zombie tribal and I loved the way it played. Now it's a more stiff build and has a higher win percentage (even before the switch the deck won around 45% of the time), but I'm not sure that I feel the same level of enjoyment in the general game play.

Thoughts or ideas?
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: When you're torn on which direction to take a deck?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 02:42:01 pm »
Yeah, I have the same problem sometimes, and I haven't found a good solution. Most recently is with Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire. I have come up with so many different ways of playing this commander.
  • Pure Aggro
  • Voltron
  • Midrange combo
  • Stax/tappout control
  • Superfriends
  • Chaos

My solution was to put a little bit of everything into one deck, and see what aspects of each that I like. So far, Voltron and chaos are out. The other thing I could do is to try each strategy (using proxies first) and see which one makes the deck that I like the most.

But with a question like this, it's case-by-case; every deck and player will be different. So, which direction were you thinking about taking Sidisi, Brood Tyrant?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 02:50:10 pm »
I've been debating taking it back towards zombie tribal but not pure tribal. I've been debating adding some of the old alternate win-cons back to the deck (Gravecrawler ping, Undead Alchemist-Altar of Dementia mill, etc.).

I think the problem I'm having is the deck as it currently is basically only wins through token swarm, which I enjoying winning, but maybe it's because it's only one very streamlined win-con. Don't get me wrong, there's multiple paths to make the swarm, but winning every game the exact same way is getting a little boring.
This space for rent.

vali0021

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 02:56:30 pm »
i thought of these ideas inside the 60 card deck format just so u know

i would make a reanimator deck with big creatures to reanimate, and another key card to this deck other than Sidisi, Brood Tyrant could be muldrotha, the gravetide. and then you could put Connive//concoct and some surveil like Discovery//dispersal. and maybe with some sacrifice stuff like Ghoulcaller Gisa and Scourge of Nel Toth would fit in perfectly with what we have so far. and for draw Chemister's insight is alwsays good end especialy because it has jump start if you would discard a big creature to reanimate it. maybe put in some eldest reborn because it serve as both removal and reanimation. liliana, dreadhorde general would just be an auto include to it. maybe
672 × 936Billederne kan være underlagt ophavsret. Få flere oplysninger
Reassembling Skeleton just to sacrifice it. these are just ideas im not sure if all of these cards will work in your deck but i hope i inspired you a bit ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 03:17:45 pm by vali0021 »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 03:28:40 pm »
Muldrotha is in the deck and I love how it plays in it. I tried some of the Surveil stuff when it first came out but only Doom Whisperer really worked out well as keeping the creature count up around 38 is key in the deck and the other stuff like Discovery//Dispersal lowered it and took up spots for some of the removal effects that are key in my meta due to all the GY hate.

The 5, 6, and 7 drops you mentioned are things I've tried at different points and didn't really have decent linear lines of play except with each other to a degree. The new Liliana may be worth play-testing but would raise the curve to a point I may not like.
This space for rent.

vali0021

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 04:38:29 pm »
yea i see maybe put som aetherling they are alway fun to play with and it might inspire you to new strat's

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 08:58:22 pm »
This could actually be a two-fold problem. The first is that games have become to easy. With your high win rate and consistent game plan, things aren't a challenge anymore. I'm going through the same thing right now. As bad as this sounds; it's lonely at the top.

But that's not something that can be fixed through deck-building, so let's focus on what we can do. You said you usually win with a token swarm, but you want something new. How about this weird build.

Use Persistent Petitioners, lots of them. They count as creatures going into your graveyard, so the token swarm is still there. Bloodbond March will get back any petitioners you mill away. You can keep a lot of the same self-mill cards, but the game gets riskier the more you mill yourself. This leads to your alternate win; Laboratory Maniac. Slot in Dread Return so you can sacrifice three zombies to bring Lab-man back just in time for you to draw that last card.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 09:22:36 pm »
I say when in doubt just make another deck and use a different commander :)
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 10:12:50 pm »
This could actually be a two-fold problem. The first is that games have become to easy. With your high win rate and consistent game plan, things aren't a challenge anymore. I'm going through the same thing right now. As bad as this sounds; it's lonely at the top.

But that's not something that can be fixed through deck-building, so let's focus on what we can do. You said you usually win with a token swarm, but you want something new. How about this weird build.

Use Persistent Petitioners, lots of them. They count as creatures going into your graveyard, so the token swarm is still there. Bloodbond March will get back any petitioners you mill away. You can keep a lot of the same self-mill cards, but the game gets riskier the more you mill yourself. This leads to your alternate win; Laboratory Maniac. Slot in Dread Return so you can sacrifice three zombies to bring Lab-man back just in time for you to draw that last card.

Hmm, I like this idea. I run Bloodbond March in my Karador Shadowborn Apostle deck and it's an absolute house.
This space for rent.