deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Where do we go from here?  (Read 3844 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Where do we go from here?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 04:16:46 pm »
I think if you don't want to see Planeswalkers you're in for a let down. Maybe we'll get a break from the Gatewatch and some of the ones that constantly have cards though.
This space for rent.

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 07:13:33 pm »
i know it would be a stretch to wish for a set without planeswalkers.  planeswalkers have always been the focal point of any magic story, even before they started making pw cards.  Urza, teferi, jeska, serra, freyalise, windgrace, jaya.  they didn't get cards in standard/type 1 (except jaya in dominaria) but all of the books at least had them near to the center, if not the central focus. 

but we did just get a bunch of new ones.  Davriel, the wanderer, teyo, etc.  I'd like to see them be the center of attention for a while, with the gatewatch taking a backseat for a few sets while they recovered.  Perhaps in some self contained stories that aren't part of some grand overarching scheme.  wizards started to do that after apocalypse, but that lasted up until alara. 

just my two cents
A single victory is all I need.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 12:20:05 am »
I'm not too sure about the lore for the older sets. I think phyrexia was destroyed and then new phyrexia was created because karn accidentally brought some of the phyrexians to mirridon with him and they turned mirridon into new phyrexia. Please correct me if that isnt right.

Anywho I'd love to go somewhere dealing with the phyrexians. Praetors are fun. And I wanna know atraxa's relation to the praetors as her name is Atraxa, PRAETOR'S voice. Do you think they're avoiding going back there because they'd have to implement phyrexian mana again which is definitely broken. Do they not want to do that? Or would they go back there and simply not use it?
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 12:58:38 am »
There's nothing saying they'd have to do Phyrexian mana again so I can see them going back there and just not using it.
This space for rent.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 03:57:26 am »
I am thinking, with Karn's direct statement of wanting to destroy Phyrexia during Dominaria block, he is definitely going back to Mirrodin.  Meaning New Phyrexia is probably the new big bad.  What worlds are on the path there is hard to determine, but my suspicion is -slivers-.

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 07:39:07 am »
yeah from what I understand phyrexian mana kindof broke the game a bit.

also I doubt we'll see slivers again, since we've been to dominaria recently and we didn't see a single sliver card.  there wasn't anything referencing them in the lore either.  they wouldn't have added much to that set's story, but a small snippet explaining where they were or what happened to them (a mention that there's still a hive presence on otaria, or saying that they were somehow eradicated), would have done a lot for that small group of people who want to see them return, or hope they never do.  but you can count on them being nerfed if they do.  I wanna say it was what, m13, where we last saw them, and they were evolving to become a bit more humanoid.  it would be interesting to see sentient, maybe even intelligent, slivers.

side question: Slivers were on rath, which was an artificial plane controlled by old phyrexia.  I wonder why yawgy never incorporated sliver biology into his army.  perhaps even he couldn't control their evolution?  imagine if someone could?

side question two: who wins, slivers, phyrexians, or eldrazi?

FrozenCakeMix

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 08:01:03 am »
Slivers would win hands down.

Phyrexians are always too busy doing... Phyrexian things with the exception of Urabrask, he doesnt even exist to the other Preators. The reason Atraxa lacks Red is because Urabrask is always avoiding the others and hiding his Gundam fetish.

Eldrazi are creepy tentacle monsters and would lose because they are apprantly easily imprisoned into the moon, Slivers would've turned the moon into another Sliver with "Each Sliver gains 'T:Exile Target Permanent until there are no Slivers in Play.' "

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2019, 10:19:11 am »
I'm not too sure about the lore for the older sets. I think phyrexia was destroyed and then new phyrexia was created because karn accidentally brought some of the phyrexians to mirridon with him and they turned mirridon into new phyrexia. Please correct me if that isnt right.

I've read the 3 Mirrodin books some time ago, at least for this block I can help a little with the lore:
Karn build Mirrodin and by accident left some Glisterning Oil there. It has first reproduced silent and then startet corrupting Memnarch (Karn left him to watch over Mirrodin) and the rest of the World. This also caused metal turning into flesh. Memnarch got defeated by Glissa after a hard fight, but afaik this hasn't removed the corruption.
Since this is the end of the Mirrodin books, I can't tell how it exactly turned into new Phyrexia, or what happened to it.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 12:06:09 am »
Haven't they confirmed that the next set would take place on a new plane?

The rumor going around is that we'll finally see Kaldheim, the viking-inspired plane.
I believe Mark Rosewater once posted the sequence they were going to follow so that there would never be 2 old worlds or 2 new worlds in a row.
Looking at the previous two worlds, they were Dominaria and Ravnica, so there must be a new world coming.
Personally, I'd like to see Ulgrotha again with the same old-style flavor but more playable cards, but that's just a wish...

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 09:48:14 am »
Ulgrotha?  Rings a bell, but I'm not placing it.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2019, 10:50:13 am »
Ulgrotha?  Rings a bell, but I'm not placing it.

The plane where Homelands took place.
This space for rent.

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2019, 12:04:20 pm »
Ah, I didn't know that took place outside of Dominaria.

What about Mercadia?

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2019, 02:42:22 pm »

I've read the 3 Mirrodin books some time ago, at least for this block I can help a little with the lore:
Karn build Mirrodin and by accident left some Glisterning Oil there. It has first reproduced silent and then startet corrupting Memnarch (Karn left him to watch over Mirrodin) and the rest of the World. This also caused metal turning into flesh. Memnarch got defeated by Glissa after a hard fight, but afaik this hasn't removed the corruption.
Since this is the end of the Mirrodin books, I can't tell how it exactly turned into new Phyrexia, or what happened to it.

I forgot I posted in this thread, so i haven't been keeping up. Oops.

So is this why Memnarch is able to turn anything into an artifact? Because he was corrupted by the glistening oil. And the glistening oil is the same thing that fuels, or created, not sure the terminology here, SKithiryx, the Blight Dragon?
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2019, 03:10:12 pm »

I forgot I posted in this thread, so i haven't been keeping up. Oops.

So is this why Memnarch is able to turn anything into an artifact? Because he was corrupted by the glistening oil. And the glistening oil is the same thing that fuels, or created, not sure the terminology here, SKithiryx, the Blight Dragon?

Okay, I'll try to remember some details:
Mirrodin was, after Karn created it, a full metal world. Qucksilver seas, Copper Mountains, etc. And everything living on it was also mechanic. After some time, memnarch used soultraps(?) to capture living beings from other planes, and brought them to mirrodin, in order to bring some life on this dead world. But with the ages, and the corruption spreading, mirrodin changed. First, the living started slowly transforming into metal. As you can see on the artwork for Glissa Sunseeker, her arms and legs are covered by metal, other parts of her body are flesh. This is no armor or something like that, thats her skin. A result of the corruption spreading on mirrodin.
But the corruption also worked in the opposite direction. Later on, close to the birth of the fift sun, something changed, and pure metal beings, like Memnarch or Bosh, Iron Golem started turning into flesh.
about SKithiryx, the Blight Dragon: It might be a pure Metal dragon that turned into flesh, or maybe a dragon (or more likely descendant of a dragon), Memnarch brought to Mirrodin.

If you want to read about all the details, there are 3 Books that cover the Mirrodin story. They are no masterpieces, but still worth reading, especially if you want to get a little deeper into the magic lore.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2019, 11:07:11 pm »
It would be nice for a return to Kamigawa, with Tamiyo returning to share the tales she has found with her people.  There are so many possibilities that could occur, from Dynastic changes to invaders to Planeswalkers seeking revenge for some perceived slight.  Bring back the ninjas, samurai and moonfolk!