deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What's your "Pet Deck" in EDH?  (Read 6351 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: What's your "Pet Deck" in EDH?
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2019, 08:39:39 pm »
ABURs are bad because their price constantly increases and will never go down

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2019, 08:41:13 pm »
Good investment, plus u don't have to worry about "oh is it a bad time to buy them?" Because they're always as low as they'll ever be again.
Nils is the God I worship

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2019, 09:02:20 pm »
ABURs are good because their price constantly increases and will never go down :)

There are plenty of things that are a good investment, but you need the upfront capital to buy them.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:33:04 pm by Red_Wyrm »
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Bizarro Soapy

• Squirrel Dealer
  • Decks
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2019, 09:28:36 pm »
I'll probably swap out lands as I go, I have a Godless Shrine in my Orzhov deck that I can replace the B/W Bounce Land with when I need to, and a spare Sunpetal Grove that will replace the W/G one. But adding them one-by-one as I get lucky with boosters or occasionally include them in a standard deck that I buy. 10 Shock lands at £10-15 each is a high barrier to entry for what is supposed to be a more casual format (and one that I'll be playing less often). Either way, I did discover Pillar of the Paruns today, which is a perfect fit for the deck, and only £1.50! So that's going to slide right in  :)
Don't feed the Hungering Hydra

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2019, 11:25:10 pm »
The checklands from the cycle that includes Sunpetal Grove would be a reasonably priced alternative while you're in the process of switching over.

The only problem with Pillar of the Paruns is you won't be able to tap it to pay for the Guildmage's abilities. Nice find though.
This space for rent.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2019, 11:54:31 pm »
Just copy and paste the URL from the deckstats deck link.  It will automatically populate.  Out of curiousity, why GrimGrin as the Commander and not Phenax, God of Deception with GrimGrin as one of the 99?

https://deckstats.net/decks/127587/1238135-grimgrin-millstone-born/en

I went with Grimgrin because I wasn't looking for a straight up mill strategy but a zombie tribal one and just use mill as an alternative win con.  The deck still usually wins by overrunning with buffed zombies, sac'ing Gravecrawler to Phyrexian Altar with Vengeful Dead in play or recurring Gray Merchant of Asphodel to drain the table.

editcruz16

• Decks
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2019, 11:56:41 pm »
I started playing in Jr. High when Torment (The set, not the card) first came out. Back then I came across an old version of Clone and I loved copying my opponent's most interesting creatures. Fast forward to 2 years ago when my younger cousins got me back into Magic and introduced me to EDH.
The first deck I built was a deck whose sole purpose is to take away my opponent's creatures or make copies of them. I chose Kess, Dissident Mage as my commander because of her colors, and the ability to replay sorceries and instants from my graveyard.
There's 5 of us that play, so we do a lot of free-for-all, and I end up winning a good chunk of the games because I usually end up stealing all of their commanders. My deck isn't unbeatable though, and it's mostly just annoying, but I still love using it whether I win or lose (But I prefer to win so I added Blasting Station, Iridescent Drake, and False Demise infinite combo, or the Deceiver Exarch, Splinter Twin infinite combo).
I also like it because, while the main strategy is to take control or copy other creatures or spells, those cards have their own unique abilities that allow me to try someone new every game, and get to play with cards that aren't part of my collection.

https://deckstats.net/decks/93341/812928-kess-control/en

Bizarro Soapy

• Squirrel Dealer
  • Decks
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2019, 12:28:05 am »
Editcruz Spark Double from WotS would fit nicely, as well as Switcheroo Connive // Concoct In Bolas's Clutches Metamorphic Alteration Narset's Reversal (if you want to copy their spells as well, or target your own spell to use a second time!) Doublecast (to get more mileage out of a good steal card) Entrancing Melody and Mass Manipulation All of those are current, so should mostly be very affordable.

I made a similar Standard format deck on Arena, but focused a little more on sacrifice plays. It's a fun deck, but not crazy powerful.
Don't feed the Hungering Hydra

editcruz16

• Decks
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2019, 07:38:10 pm »
Thank you Dieselite,
I have Spark Double in a pre-release deck I built but will be transferring it over soon. I've also added a card or two and haven't updated my decklist, but you bring up some good choices. I might add some copy spells cards so it's not just creatures I'm taking. 

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2019, 09:12:08 pm »
Apologies if I'm a little late to the party, but this was a really interesting thread and I felt compelled to share.

For me, it's all about Yahenni. Man, do I love this deck.

It's not the best deck in the world, but it's got everything I love. Being able to sacrifice my own creatures for profit at instant speed is just the best. And an indestructible commander as a result. I love it.

When I'm sat playing this deck, I'm excited to play the cards when it's my turn, and when it's not, I'm happy just looking at all the sweet, macarbe, creepy art that black magic cards are known for.

It's missing some of the pricier mono black staples because I'm a super casual player, but big black magic is what I love.

https://deckstats.net/decks/132604/1331854-yahenni-all-my-friends-are-dea/en

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2019, 09:52:50 am »
Is it okay to have more than one pet deck?  Cause I have a few I prefer over the others.

First: Ramos Cascade.  Always super fun to play, and with the randomness of cascade and Possibility Storm (my favorite card) it's a different game every time.  Unfortunately sometimes it runs out of gas before I can get my wincons out and I lose to an agro deck.

Second: Breya Eggs.  I love combos and artifacts have some great ones.  Pia's revolution is one of my moneymakers, plus Mishra/Possiblity storm (I'm seeing a pattern here).  There's so much recursion in the deck too in case people opt to take the damage from Rev, my graveyard rarely has any artifacts in it.  So much good stuff I rarely cast Breya.  But like with Ramos, unless I have a draw engine I run out of gas and start topdecking.

Third: Shadow.  An obscure mechanic that shouldn't work, since while I can attack freely, I'm completely defenseless.  This is the deck that's gone through the most changes.  it started out as Mardu Alesha, then I added blue with Tymna/Ludevic, and now it's Oloro.  I've been toying with adding green (Tymna/Kydele).  It's like a weenie equipment deck with lots of combat damage triggers.

Those are my top three.  An argument could be made for more.
A single victory is all I need.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2019, 12:24:11 pm »
Apologies if I'm a little late to the party, but this was a really interesting thread and I felt compelled to share.

I use to have a Yahenni deck that I loved. Had the whole thing foiled out, then out of the blue one day my love for another took deck over.
This space for rent.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2019, 02:06:59 pm »

I use to have a Yahenni deck that I loved. Had the whole thing foiled out, then out of the blue one day my love for another took deck over.

Yea it happens. There's always a flavour of the month deck that I like playing, but somehow I always come back to this one. What deck took over for you out of interest?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2019, 02:55:39 pm »
Sidisi, Brood Tyrant. Not sure why, I'd had the deck for a while (it had even been retired and brought back) but one day I just found myself spending all the time and $$$ on it that I use to spend on Yahenni. I've switched it around a few times. Started out as a zombie build, then went to a much more competitive build, and is now back to zombie tribal (that's the way it's the most fun to play IMO).
This space for rent.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2019, 03:32:15 pm »
Well Sidisi is great. Who doesn't love graveyard value and making a load of 2/2 zombies?