deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What do you love more? Building decks or playing?  (Read 1376 times)

Federico Rosano

• Decks
What do you love more? Building decks or playing?
« on: June 15, 2019, 03:29:38 pm »
I play MTG since 2003: I bought my very first deck on vacation, it was a mono blue with Phantom Warrior, Wind Drake and Mana Leak, I always loved it. Since then I always loved building my own decks from scratch. I bought a few, expecially in the beginning, but I always realized that build a deck is a big part of the game, if not the biggest, at least for me.
My learning curve had a real blast when I had no-limits internet access. From that point my focus is on super cheap and fun decks to play against friends, Modern and Casual formats. Currently I own 15 complete decks and I'm always working on new unique ideas. I love when cards interacts with opponents and the game is enjoyable for everyone.

Check my decks collection here:
https://deckstats.net/decks/88072/?lng=it

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: What do you love more? Building decks or playing?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 04:16:50 pm »
I love brewing decks probably slightly more than I do playing but not by much.
This space for rent.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 05:17:50 pm »
I enjoy brewing/building decks much more. The whole creativity aspect into a finished project that I did is a great feeling.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 05:29:33 pm »
I enjoy the brewing/building aspect more.  I tend to enjoy the first half-dozen or so games with a deck more than the games that follow as I get to see where the deck is succeeding and where it is falling short and am usually already focused on what changes need to be made to shore up a weakness or improve a strategy while those games are still ongoing.  Once I've piloted most decks a few times, some new idea will hit and I'm spending resources to acquire what I need to build on that idea.   However, I rarely rip down decks that I've built and will tinker with updates as new cards come out but the newer decks tend to get dragged to any game night [with my Grimgrin zombie tribal mill being an exception].

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 04:46:05 am »
I enjoy playing new decks. I get bored of the same deck, so I constantly am building new ones. But I do really enjoy looking at a commander and trying to figure out how to best use it.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Leonixious

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 06:25:42 am »
More times then not I love playing more then Building. But from time to time, just sitting down with just an idea, flipping through my giant collection, and building an EDH deck from scratch is the perfect thing to de-stress. That and modifying decks when a new set hits is always fun.

Unpopular opinion: Mono-White is NOT the weakest color.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 08:43:10 am »
That and modifying decks when a new set hits is always fun.

This is something I always look forward to!
This space for rent.

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 10:17:32 am »

Yeah. It can be hard sometimes. Do I take out Blur Sliver or Galerider Sliver for my Cloudshredder Sliver.

In seriousness, I would probably take out flying since you have the shifting sliver for evasion, as well as ward sliver, if you run that. And probably some others.
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 01:41:43 pm »

Yeah. It can be hard sometimes. Do I take out Blur Sliver or Galerider Sliver for my Cloudshredder Sliver.

In seriousness, I would probably take out flying since you have the shifting sliver for evasion, as well as ward sliver, if you run that. And probably some others.

My cut would be Reflex Sliver, if one were to run it, drops the cmc and gives an extra ability.  8)
This space for rent.

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 09:05:48 pm »

My cut would be Reflex Sliver, if one were to run it, drops the cmc and gives an extra ability.  8)

Don't forget to make room for Plague Sliver;)
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 09:31:26 pm »
I like playing decks more. I've gotten pretty good at deck building that most of it is just routine stuff. I also haven't built a new deck in about 6 months, because nothing has peaked my interest enough.

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 09:35:41 pm »
I like playing decks more. I've gotten pretty good at deck building that most of it is just routine stuff. I also haven't built a new deck in about 6 months, because nothing has peaked my interest enough.

What about my boy, Urza?
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 09:38:08 pm »
I was planning on building Urza, Lord High Artificer, but stopped halfway, for the dumbest reason.

It would absolutely destroy my playgroup. I don't think there are enough people with strong enough decks for it to ever be a challenge for me. I know they wouldn't enjoy it, and I wouldn't enjoy it, so what's the point?

Reyane

• I like weird decks.
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 09:43:43 pm »
Making and modifying decks has always been fun for me. I have 14 - 60 card decks and 4 commander decks. Some of them I have gotten ideas from others, but many of them were me searching for hours through various cards, finding neat combinations, and making a deck. I do have to say though, that recently making decks has been harder since I have found and made a lot of the decks that really stand out and pique my interest. When I hit these little roadblocks then playing Magic becomes more fun to me. Really depends on sets when they are released and what goofy mechanics I can play with.

theClownsChapter

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 10:08:10 pm »
My Answer is definitely Brewing.

I spend so much time thinking about als kinds of decks, combinations and themes. Even those which I never will aquire in any form.

When I play a deck some times I feel like it is "known" and I don't have the patience of mastering a deck (nor does my small playgroup I guess).
My mind jumps straight to the next idea.

In the end all that is limited by the budget i restricted myself (more or less usually more)

My favorite things about Magic:
1. Whenever you cast...
2. Deals damage divided as you coose...