deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Quick Question on Card Static Ability Interplay  (Read 322 times)

ArrrcticWolf

• Decks
Quick Question on Card Static Ability Interplay
« on: June 30, 2019, 08:37:44 pm »
So I've got a question on how the abilities of a couple of my cards would play out During the Combat Phase. I've read through many of the applicable rules as to how actions, abilities, and static abilities resolve and are applied, and the sequence of damage application from various sources so I think my interpretation of how the following card ability interplay would apply is correct, but I would be grateful for more experienced opinions. So, anywho, here goes:

At the beginning of the Combat Phase lets say my side of the board looks like this:
1x Vampire Cutthroat
1x Pulse Tracker
1x Nirkana Assassin
1x Bloodbond Vampire
1x Sanctum Seeker

Next I declare attackers. In this case I declare all but the Sanctum Seeker as attacking. Would the static effect on Sanctum Seeker apply four individual times (A total of four "events" of -1 life for opponent/+1 life for controller, one per each attacking vampire) that would then result in four individual instances of the attacking player gaining one life up to a total of four? I know it is all calculated as one gain of four life for ease of calculation and gameplay simplicity, but I need to know the technical application of this kind of wording to life gain because the next step is where my inquiry is.
The static effect for Bloodbond Vampire puts a +1/+1 counter on it each time the player gains life, so would four attacking vampires  triggering a +1 life gain for each individual attacker cause four +1/+1 counters to be placed on Bloodbond Vampire, or would it all be considered a single event of life gain adding only a single +1/+1 counter?
I know things like Lifelink would only cause Bloodbond Vampire to accrue one +1/+1 counter since it is a single source of life gain coming from a single instance/event even if the gain of life is more than one, but since the wording of the effect on Sanctum Seeker implies that each attacking vampire creates its own instance/event of the controlling player gaining 1 life and has distinctly different wording than a similar effect of say Foul-Tongue Shriek.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Quick Question on Card Static Ability Interplay
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 09:32:30 pm »
Would the static effect on Sanctum Seeker apply four individual times (A total of four "events" of -1 life for opponent/+1 life for controller, one per each attacking vampire) that would then result in four individual instances of the attacking player gaining one life up to a total of four?

Yes. Four vampires are attacking , so you gain four life, and each opponent loses 4 life. These are each four different triggers, which is important for your next question.

The static effect for Bloodbond Vampire puts a +1/+1 counter on it each time the player gains life, so would four attacking vampires  triggering a +1 life gain for each individual attacker cause four +1/+1 counters to be placed on Bloodbond Vampire, or would it all be considered a single event of life gain adding only a single +1/+1 counter?

Four +1/+1 counters would go on Bloodbond Vampire, because you gained life four separate times from Sanctum Seeker.

ArrrcticWolf

• Decks
Re: Quick Question on Card Static Ability Interplay
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 09:42:36 pm »
Would the static effect on Sanctum Seeker apply four individual times (A total of four "events" of -1 life for opponent/+1 life for controller, one per each attacking vampire) that would then result in four individual instances of the attacking player gaining one life up to a total of four?

Yes. Four vampires are attacking , so you gain four life, and each opponent loses 4 life. These are each four different triggers, which is important for your next question.

Four +1/+1 counters would go on Bloodbond Vampire, because you gained life four separate times from Sanctum Seeker.

Thank you! I had figured as much but just needed other eyes on it!