deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Custom Card Challenge: Commanders  (Read 13993 times)

Soren841

• Decks
Re: Custom Card Challenge: Commanders
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2019, 04:57:41 pm »
2 hours :)
Nils is the God I worship

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2019, 06:20:00 pm »
And the countdown is on...
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2019, 06:21:08 pm »
Yup I'm pasting and reformatting my notes on each card now :P results after lunch because I'm starving

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2019, 06:27:46 pm »
ApothecaryGeist

An'Zelya, Sword of the King

This card is a super strange design space.. a commander that can basically change it's p/t at will and isn't a creature? I kinda like it, definitely bonus points for creativity and a very good way to make a colorless commander :P

Martyr of the War

This card felt pretty lackluster. All the abilities feel mostly the same. It needs some kind of variation, and maybe a way to make yourself get more commander damage so it can actually function.

The Unknown

I thought this card was a pretty interesting way of making a Sultai Shapeshifter/Clone.. I just wish it was a 0/1 instead, because otherwise it just instantly dies if you don't hit a creature with its ability.

Thunder Crawler

This card seems really solid for a more "fair" type build, maybe hatebears? Definitely fits the color scheme very well. I think it's kinda weird because he doesn't have a name like most legends. Not a big deal, though.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:04:18 pm by Soren841 »

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2019, 06:40:15 pm »
calebbw

Lei, Mender of Armies

I think she's a very balanced card, that definitely fits in GW very well. Personally I find her 2nd ability kinda boring because it's just basic and I don't like combat but sometimes I guess simpler is better, and not everything can be combo :c I wish

Mavis, Ingenious Sorceress

Mavis seems pretty solid, I feel like the damaging ability should be either when ANY player discards or only when YOU discard, because you'll be looting a lot more than your opponents. It's also strange that the activated ability is mono blue. I'd expect it to be something like 2R or something with red at least, since that's the main color with looting.

Orkrosh, Necro-Alchemist

No complaints here. Blood Artist effect with a creative way of drawing cards while triggering himself and filling your grave to do Sultai things.

Seivah, Sculptor of Realities

I really don't get the point of her abilities. You exile an artifact to make a copy of that same artifact, and then sacrifice that copy to get the original back? Nothing about her makes any sense to me, it just seems like a really weird way to break Ichor Wellspring but that's about it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:03:36 pm by Soren841 »

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2019, 06:54:25 pm »
deflux

Conrad, Aspiring Gambler

I love that there's card draw in red! It's a pretty powerful card but in an interesting way, not super boring, plus the randomness thrown in on the front. I like it

Emilie, the Listener

I'm not really sure what the flip side is supposed to do but I really like the ability on the front. It seems really strong but fair because investigate isn't what I would call OP.

High Preserver Misato

It seems really hard to flip him. Maybe change up the first ability so it's repeatable? I like the flip side's ability, though.

Joachim, First Lycanthope

I really like the mechanics on this. Transforms himself, transforms other werewolves, but nicely integrates how Lycantropy spreads in books. The theft is nice too, like recruiting them into a pack. Very flavorful.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:03:03 pm by Soren841 »

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2019, 06:57:36 pm »
Firegriff

Atlas, the Released

He easily seems like the weakest of the 4 commanders. His eminence definitely could be stronger and he's basically just a 6/6 for 3 which is ehh...

Clarion, the Hidden Star

This basically seems like Edgar but in 5c which is easily breakable for sure. I don't know if the 5c ability puts the thing into your hand or into play because it's covered up but I'm thinking it should be into play and cmc equal or less than the amount of Angels you control.

Elspeth, Spirit of Hope

Elspeth seems really strong, especially with her indestructible and low cost. I would make her ability a normal one and not an eminence ability because of this.

Howler, Deadly Fang
Doggo!
I really have no clue what the X in his cost is for, otherwise his ability seems really strong but not crazy.. definitely fits the color pie. Sadly minus points for seemingly incomplete :(
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:02:37 pm by Soren841 »

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2019, 07:01:46 pm »
MasterD

Goorg the Furious
Planeswalker - Goblin Shaman
{2}{r}{r}

+1: Create a token 1/1 Goblin Warrior with haste.
-3: Destroy target creature, create a number of 1/1 Goblin Warrior tokens equal to destroyed creature's toughness.
-9: You get an emblem stating, "When a token creature you control dies, create two tokens that are a copy of that creature."

He seems pretty weak for a commander. He's in mono red and has to survive a very long time to ult, and has a pretty bad +1 in EDH.

Maralen of the Evensong
{3}{w}{g}{b}
Legendary Creature - Elf Avatar
5/5

When you draw a card, you may discard it. If you do, you gain life equal to its converted mana cost.

When your opponent draws a card they may discard it. If they do not, they lose life equal to its converted mana cost.

This seems decent, but again lackluster because the 40 starting life in EDH.

Masukai, Lord of Spells
{4}{u}{u}{u}
Legendary Creature - Dragon Wizard
4/6

Flying
{u}{t} Counter target instant or sorcery spell.
{u}{u}{t} Return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
{u}{u}{u}{t} You may play any number of spells returned by Masukai, Lord of Spells without paying their associated mana cost.

For the 3rd ability to work, the 2nd one would have to exile them from your library with some special counter on them. Otherwise this seems pretty solid.

Mishraele, General of Justice
Legendary Creature - Angel
{x}{w}{u}{r}
4/4

Flying, Hexproof

Enchanted creatures you control gain Hexproof.

Sacrifice Mishraele, General of Justice: you may search your library for any number of enchantment cards and put them in your hand.

I'm glad this is only enchantments and not artifacts or that would be even more busted than this already is. I'm not sure red color identity works here, though. I also don't understand why she has X in her cost.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:06:15 pm by Soren841 »

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2019, 07:05:39 pm »
MisterDalek

Gascoigne, the Ruthless

1WBR
Legendary Creature - Human Knight
First Strike, Vigilance, Menace
Whenever another knight enters the battlefield under your control, creatures you control gain +1/+1 and haste until end of turn.
Sacrifice an untapped creature you control: Attacking creatures you control gain +1/+0 until end of turn.

Seems a little underpowered because of the life totals in EDH, but I can see potentially flooding the battlefield with tokens and winning that way.

Korlax, the Poisoned One
4BRG
Legendary Creature - Elemental Beast
7/7
Trample
Whenever CARDNAME enters the battlefield or attacks, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
Whenever a creature with a -1/-1 counter on it dies, return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step if CARDNAME is still on the battlefield

This seems quite strong, but fairly costed. I'm not sure red entirely works here but there have been -1/-1 cards with red so I'll give you that lol.

Merlus, Imperial Lawman
2WUB
Legendary Creature - Human Advisor
2/4
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, you become the monarch.
If you are the monarch, creatures can't attack you unless their controller pays 1 for each of those creatures.
Whenever and opponent becomes the monarch, CARDNAME deals 1 damage to that player for each tapped creature he or she controls.

I love cards that have to do with Monarch. I would make the 2nd ability something stronger, like at eot if you aren't the monarch you make a 1/1 flying human ally or something.

Roximus, Woodland Guardian
WRG
Legendary Creature - Wolf Spirit
2/2
Flash, Vigilance, First Strike
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, other wolf creatures you control gain indestructible until end of turn.
1R, T, Sacrifice CARDNAME: Creatures you control gain +1/+1, haste, vigilance, and menace until end of turn.

This seems like a pretty ok body, but the abilities are one time uses and wolves aren't exactly an amazing tribe and they don't swarm.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2019, 07:08:52 pm »
moehike

Belbe, Phyrexian Cyborg

This is a pretty interesting mechanic that I think is strong but not the easiest to break, especially in colorless. I actually think that it would be hard to make this work without some way to draw cards.

Chainer, Nightmare Incarnate

I don't think that red really fits here, and I don't like how overdone UB mill is. -1 for creativity imo :(

Friggera, Avacyn's Scourge

This seems like an interesting mechanic, but possibly a little difficult to pull off. Great for a graveyard meta though ;) Rest in Peace for days.

Zaliki, Naya's Regent

This is a very strange mix of group hug and slug and I love it. The colors are spot on too. One of my favorite cards from this challenge if I'm being honest.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2019, 07:10:44 pm »
MonteTribal

Altum, the LightBringer {2WW}
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Knight
If ~ is in your Command Zone, you gain 1 life at the end of each player's turn.
When ~ enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 Spirit Token with Flying for each card you discarded this turn.
Partner
2/4

These abilities both seem pretty weak and don't really make sense together at all.. especially for mono white. I really don't know what to think.

Glorfindel, the Alchemist {1BG}
Legendary Creature - Elf Druid
If ~ is in your Command Zone, whenever you discard a card, you may pay 3 life: if you do, draw a card.
When ~ enters the battlefield or dies, you may draw 2 cards, then discard a card.
Partner
1/3

This helps make the white commander make more sense. Individually they're weird so idk this has a lot more synergy with itself.

Tessalia, the High Mage {1UR}
Legendary Creature - Vedalken Wizard
If ~ is in your Command Zone, whenever you draw one or more cards, you may discard a card. If you do, you may and deal 3 damage to any target.
1UR: Return Tessalia from the field to your command zone.
Partner
3/3

She seems really similar to Glorfindel and I don't really understand why you would ever even cast her.

Tofilium, the Marquess {2WG}
Legendary Creature - Gnome Cleric
When ~ enters the battlefield, you become the Monarch.
When ever you gain life, you gain that much plus 2 life.
Partner
2/2

I love Monarch and lifegain is always good, kinda basic but it does have partner so no complaints here. She'd be broken with Tymna.

You were the only one who did Partner so I like the creativity and I can appreciate how hard it is to balance Partner commanders.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2019, 07:13:09 pm »
Shredwick

Drimarch the Crazed
2UB
Legendary Creature - Zombie Horror
T, Pay 2 life, sacrifice a creature and discard a card: Exile the top 3 cards of target player's library.  Until end of turn, you mast cast a non-creature card exiled with Drimarch, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast it.
Whenever a creature deals combat damage to you, gain control of it until end of your next turn.

This seems pretty balanced but strong, and very Dimir. Not much I would change, maybe make the cost for his ability a little less steep.

Matsuri, the Shifting Skies
2WUR
Legendary Creature - Spirit Monk
Flying
Whenever Matsuri, the Shifting Skies attacks, shuffle your library, then exile the top card.  Until end of turn, you may cast that card without paying its mana cost.
2/1

This card seems kind of insane. 5 mana to get a free copy of Mind's Desire every turn? Yes please.. the only downside is the 2/1 BUT it's evasive.

Tulsava, the Living Roil
2WBG
Legendary Creature - Elf Shaman
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life for each creature card in your graveyard.
Whenever an opponent casts a spell that targets you or a creature you control, they lose 2 life.
T(Tap), Pay 3 life, exile a creature card from your graveyard: Return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control.  Exile it at the beginning of the next end step
4/5

The 2nd ability doesn't make sense to me, and the cost for the temporary reanimation seems really high. Maybe permanent reanimation but it gets exiled when it dies?

Zarkhan, Eyes Aflame
1RRGG
Legendary Creature - Minotaur Warrior
Whenever a creature you control enters the battlefield, if it has the least power or is tied for the least, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
T, remove any number of +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control: Zarkhan deals that much damage to any target.
3/4

Interesting mechanic, I kinda like it but it seems a little weak because burn in EDH is just not that good.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2019, 07:15:26 pm »
Tyto Gamer

Anoic the cunning guide {2}{r}{r}{g}
legendary hound warrior
3/3

Creatures with morph cost {1} less to cast and to morph.

If a creature was morphed this turn Anoic gets +1/+1 andfights target opponent creature

Kind of really weird.. also definitely awful in terms of the color pie. It should at the very least have blue, which is the color of Morphs.

Civili Gerd the sly hand {2}{w}{b}{b}
Legendary human advisor
1/4

Whenever an opponent casts a noncreature spell you may, create a treasure token unless they pay {2}

Simple but fair. I think he's overcosted, though. 3 or 4 mana would be fine.

Niru Sizis the pondering wanderer {3}{u}{g}
Legendary Elf druid

{u}{g}{tap} Target creature gains +2/+2 and flying until end of turn

You definitely have simple tastes. The ability seems extremely weak for a format like EDH, and she's really overcosted. Throwback to most of the older legends, actually.

Vostud the mystical duplicator {3}{r}{u}
Legendary Minotaur wizard
3/4

Instants and sorceries cost {u}{r} less to cast
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell Vostud deals 2 damage to any target.

Now this is an interesting card and a great design space, and there are only I believe 2 cards that do this. Izzet Storm is where it's at with this guy.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2019, 09:04:08 pm »
@MonteTribal if you had precons, what which of your partners would be paired together? I'm having a hard time with yours.

;D ;D I was hoping someone would ask. Didn't think to add it until after the submission and thread lock

But to answer:
Altum + Tofilium => WG Monarch Soul Sisters
Glorfindel + Tessalia => BGUR Handsize Control

I think it would be fun to get a randomized pairing, where each commander had a set 49 cards and you can mix and match (like the free starter decks they give out at shops)

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2019, 10:26:53 pm »
The x on Howler, Deadly Fang was supposed to be 3.  Clarion's ability was to hand, but I see why going to battlefield would be preferable to the player.  Atlas has Vigilance and Reach to mitigate his ability being weaker than the others.  Elspeth's ability letting them attack and block means, when blocked, they take damage removing loyalty counters (other than Gideon...).