deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Yarok combo deck  (Read 344 times)

TheFappngEmp

• Decks
[EDH / Commander] Yarok combo deck
« on: July 15, 2019, 01:43:09 pm »
Yarok combo deck

Hi everyone! I'm sure this deck appears like a pile of shit and I'm 95% sure it is, but I hope some of you can give me advice to improve it!
This is a combo deck that uses Yarok's passive to get an infinite mana combo with either Palinchron and 7 lands or  Great Whale and 7 lands with retraction helix or banishing knack on a creature we have on the battlefield with intruder alarm to untap the creature that bounces back the untapper (the same combo applies to peregrine drake and cloud of faeries even if with less value).
what to do with the infinite mana? Well there are 5 possible wincons included in the deck.
1) Helix pinnacle + extra turn
2) biovisionary + copy 3 times
3) simic ascendancy + extra turn
4) Dire currents to mill opponents with the infinite mana engine
5) Altar of the brood with the same purpose of dire currents
The common ground of these five wincons is the infinite combo engine provided by the creatures that untap the lands.
The deck has a lot of tutors to provide the pieces and the ramp needed to pull off the combo (transmute cards are very specific but some cards we need have the same CMC)
Also there are cards that provide card draw abusing the combo, so we can draw the other cards we need to win. There is the danger of milling ourselves out because Guardian project draw is mandatory and is doubled by yarok's passive so It might be necessary to bounce it back to hand in some cases.
The wincons 4 and 5 are simple to pull off because with the mana engine and dire currents you automatically mill the opponents, if you want you can also fetch altar of the brood to make the process faster.
wincon 1 in also simple because with the infinite mana we accumulate it is easy to pay 100 to put on the helix 100 counters. The next part is to fetch or draw either savor the moment, walk the aeons or nexus of fate (nexus of fate is useful even to get extra turns to get time if something goes wrong).
the same goes for wincon 3 where we put 20 +1/+1 counters on target creature (usually fathom mage to also draw cards, her draw also is not mandatory so it is safe)
then fetch an extra turn card.
wincon 2 is my favourite, you need to copy the biovisionary 3 times so you have to fetch quasiduplicate and crackling counterpart or rite of replication and the job is done.
these comboes have the problem of being slow and counterable easily with removal or just counters. So to protect the engine you can use veil of summer to avoid getting your spells countered or gaea's herald to protect the creatures you cast. I've added also a counterspell and a negate to avoid boardwipes and other threats.
The ramp is obtained with a lot of fetch spells that work quite nicely.

If you have any advice PLEASE tell me, I'm getting into deckbuilding for the first time after a long pause form MTG.