deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: First Deck - what to keep and what to trash  (Read 1446 times)

Maurito_Sosa

• Decks
First Deck - what to keep and what to trash
« on: April 29, 2013, 04:55:55 pm »
I built this deck from random cards I have.
This is my first deck, be gentle :D

https://deckstats.net/decks/3418/11989-thats-my-first-one

Maurito_Sosa

• Decks
Re: First Deck - what to keep and what to trash
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 08:49:07 pm »
Same in mind: what should I keep and what should I trash from this deck:

https://deckstats.net/decks/3418/12014-white-green

I heritaged a lot of cards, and am trying to build decks from it.

nwrobinson

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:22:02 pm »
This has to be siad right now, these decks will fail. Nothing to do with card choices, card synergy, or anyother complicated concept but for 2 simple facts... to many cards and not enough mana.
Fact one, if you notice, all conpetitive decks except commander use exactly 60 cards. This is because you only want to use the best cards possible, and using any more, while legal, will dilute your deck
Fact two, you manabase is way to small. Only the fastest aggro decks can use under 40% lands, and your decks are not aggro
So the first thing you need to do is pick the 36 best cards for your decks and match them with the 24 most coplementig lands

Maurito_Sosa

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:37:51 pm »
That makes a lot of sense! I could add more mana, but I think I'll go with your idea.
I'll post the decks with 60 cards afterward.

Thanks!

Maurito_Sosa

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 01:07:22 am »
This has to be siad right now, these decks will fail. Nothing to do with card choices, card synergy, or anyother complicated concept but for 2 simple facts... to many cards and not enough mana.
Fact one, if you notice, all conpetitive decks except commander use exactly 60 cards. This is because you only want to use the best cards possible, and using any more, while legal, will dilute your deck
Fact two, you manabase is way to small. Only the fastest aggro decks can use under 40% lands, and your decks are not aggro
So the first thing you need to do is pick the 36 best cards for your decks and match them with the 24 most coplementig lands

Just rearranged to fit 60 cards. Does it still flunks at first glance?
Thanks again for the help.

nwrobinson

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 04:38:07 am »
Better, i would just pullout one more mountain. As far as card selection, im not that familiar with older cards and i cant look over them as easily on my tablet. Ill get back to you

Castle Siege

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 11:29:04 pm »
I'm guessing these are built from cards you currently own from a few packs you've bought. There's nothing wrong with that, that's how everyone starts out, but let me give you a few tips and advice that hopefully will help you out.

For first timers, it's good idea to have a well rounded deck. By this I mean it's not a bad idea to have approximately 20 lands, 20 creatures, and 20 non-creatures. Of course, you can give or take a few of each type of card according to mana cost and how you want the cards in your deck to combo with each other.

Play several games with your friends. How well do you like Magic: The Gathering? If you like it enough to the point where you feel dedicated to making your deck better, it's cheaper to buy individual cards online. That way, say for example, you really want this $20 card, but it's a mythic. You're more likely to spend more money purchasing packs in an attempt to pull it than if you were to  just buy the card itself for $20 online.

With that said, right now you have way to many individual cards, lots of "ones" and not enough "fours." Get an idea of how you want to build a deck, like maybe find a particular card that you really like the effect of, and build the deck around that card. Pick other cards that combo very well with that card, and try to make it so everything benefits each other. In a sense you want to "tighten" the deck. If you look at your visual spoilers you'll notice that there's a ton of cards and they're all very spread out. You'll want to scrap all the cards that are "kind of just there" and don't really combo with anything. You'll also want to add duplicates of other cards that do combo well. By doing this you'll "tighten" up the deck and make it more likely that you'll draw the combos that you want/need to win the game, while at the same time keeping the amount of cards as close to 60 as possible.

I hope this was of some help to you. If you get an idea of what kind of colors and combos you want your deck to revolve around, I'll be more than happy to help you construct it!

Here are some examples of deck's that I've built to give you an idea of how to tighten up your decks:

https://deckstats.net/decks/2781/12482-double-or-nothing

https://deckstats.net/decks/2781/10895-r-b-aggro-vampires
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:32:43 pm by Castle Siege »