deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: a new format  (Read 9536 times)

GamerAwsome101

• Decks
Re: a new format
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 03:44:32 pm »
He means full set of each of the land cycles.
thank you

so i have decided that i shall have this format on untap.in
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 05:32:09 pm by Morganator 2.0 »
i like platypuses

dexflux

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 01:05:23 am »
Could you provide some sample decklists? I'd really like to see what is possible with some quick takes. What kind experience do you think the format would provide? What is your motivation for the format?

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 06:33:21 am »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 06:37:03 am by Red_Wyrm »
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 06:31:32 pm »
Decklists!

So none of these are probably that great, but it shows there are a variety of potential archetypes.
I may have gone a little overboard.

https://deckstats.net/decks/99624/f60341/?lng=en

GamerAwsome101

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2019, 01:44:32 am »
i have a soliders deck in my coremat folder
https://deckstats.net/decks/119662/f60120/?lng=en
i like platypuses

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 05:17:12 am »
How many games have you got in with this format?
This space for rent.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 01:39:56 pm »
I have exactly 0. But it seems fun

GamerAwsome101

• Decks
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 10:23:47 pm »
I have exactly 0. But it seems fun
i also have 0
if we can have like a torney that would be fun
i cant do friday night because fnm
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 10:26:30 pm by GamerAwsome101 »
i like platypuses

GamerAwsome101

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2019, 02:07:17 am »
so an interesting comment came up today
the idea was brilliant put 4th through 10th in and ban some cards
current banlist
ensnaring bridge
balance
channel
ashnod's altar
any suggestions are appreciated
i like platypuses

MisterDalek

• Waiting for gary in standard
  • Decks
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2019, 05:21:47 am »
A few cards I feel should be banned:
- Island Sanctuary (Shuts down any deck relying on combat to win)
- Stasis (A stasis lock is too easy to assemble in this format)
- Dark Ritual (Too fast for the format)
- Mystical Tutor (Makes decks too consistent)
- Necropotence (Absolutely ridiculous; CANNOT be legal)
- Vampiric Tutor (Makes decks too consistent)
- Worldly Tutor (Makes decks too consistent)
- Mana Vault (Wow, that's a lotta mana)
- Winter Orb (Goes along with Stasis)

A few cards that are worth considering:
- Worship (Don't know if there is enough quality removal to stop it from taking over games)
- Counterspell (Might make control too good)
- Animate Dead (I honestly don't think this is very good, due to it being the only quality reanimator card in the format, but it still is worth considering)
- Grim Lavamancer OR Lightning Bolt (Is burn too good here? I don't think so, but maybe)
- Goblin Grenade (I think goblins are actually very strong in this format, being very fast and with almost all the cards in the best versions of the deck legal here)
- Birds of Paradise (Might make multi-coloured manabases too consistent)
- Sylvan Library (Possibly too good of card draw/selection for green, but I'm not sure)
- Mishra's Factory (Might be too good of a finisher for control decks)

That's all for 4th-through 10th, tomorrow I'll post my thoughts on core 10 onward.
I play black decks.

That's about it.

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2019, 02:55:30 pm »
A few cards I feel should be banned:
- Island Sanctuary (Shuts down any deck relying on combat to win)
- Stasis (A stasis lock is too easy to assemble in this format)
- Dark Ritual (Too fast for the format)
- Mystical Tutor (Makes decks too consistent)
- Necropotence (Absolutely ridiculous; CANNOT be legal)
- Vampiric Tutor (Makes decks too consistent)
- Worldly Tutor (Makes decks too consistent)
- Mana Vault (Wow, that's a lotta mana)
- Winter Orb (Goes along with Stasis)

A few cards that are worth considering:
- Worship (Don't know if there is enough quality removal to stop it from taking over games)
- Counterspell (Might make control too good)
- Animate Dead (I honestly don't think this is very good, due to it being the only quality reanimator card in the format, but it still is worth considering)
- Grim Lavamancer OR Lightning Bolt (Is burn too good here? I don't think so, but maybe)
- Goblin Grenade (I think goblins are actually very strong in this format, being very fast and with almost all the cards in the best versions of the deck legal here)
- Birds of Paradise (Might make multi-coloured manabases too consistent)
- Sylvan Library (Possibly too good of card draw/selection for green, but I'm not sure)
- Mishra's Factory (Might be too good of a finisher for control decks)

That's all for 4th-through 10th, tomorrow I'll post my thoughts on core 10 onward.

Is your name a Doctor Who reference? I just recently started watching it. I am on David Tennant. Great show!

For most of those cards, especially in the first category of what should be banned, I agree understand your reasoning, but I don't see a card such as mana vault being ridiculous if every deck has access to it. Necropotence could be a little too much card advantge, so I agree there, but I think the tutors are worth at least trying out, minus maybe vampiric tutor because it is SO versatile, and I am opposed to cost being a barrier to entry way. Mana vault is the most expensive I am willing to get before I make mention of cost.

Island sanctuary seems fine, but I will admit I am not 100% sure what enchantment removal cards would exist in this format outside of naturalize. If you have to play green to beat a specific card, that is a problem. I share the same sentiment about winter orb and Stasis in that regard.
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

MisterDalek

• Waiting for gary in standard
  • Decks
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2019, 04:32:46 pm »
A few things:
1) Yes my name is a reference to Doctor who, I haven't watched much since the very start of the Capaldi era though. I don't know if you've watched old who, or if you're just watching new who, but you definitely should if you haven't. Many of my favourite episodes have come from old who, due to the laughable effects and higher-quality writing.
2) I agree that Island Sanctuary is fine. While I do think that Island Sanctuary as a card does shut down aggro pretty hard, I realise that's not necessarily a bad thing in a format which would undoubtedly be dominated by aggressive decks. Forcing these decks to start running green and/or white to deal with the sanctuary would likely be healthy for the format as a whole.
3) I totally disagree with the assertion that Mana Vault is okay because any deck could run it. Starting the game with 3 extra mana means you're almost guaranteed to win. I built a goblin deck for coremat which would essentially win the game without contest if it was able to start of the game playing Goblins like Goblin Rabblemaster, Krenko, Mob Boss, and Siege-Gang commander and the opponent was unable to make similar plays. And that's not exactly a deck designed with mana vault in mind. Mana vault for this format could be equated to Black Lotus in vintage or Sol Ring in commander, where every deck is forced to play it and each player hopes they draw theirs and their opponent does not for an easy win.
4) Totally unrelated to Red_Wyrm's post, but looking at the format top down, I think lightning bolt might just be too powerful and would allow aggressive decks to dominate the format. Control in the format isn't quite good enough to compete with the ridiculous potential of burn and aggro decks, mainly because of lightning bolt. The power provided by this one card would likely shape the entire format around aggro, with every strategy (e.g. midrange, combo) being unplayable unless relegated to either aggro or anti-aggro because of the damage this one card provides.

Obviously, the best course of action would be to have most cards unbanned and see how the format would settle before making any bans beyond the first few, but a few bans have to be in place from the start due to their clear and undeniable power. (e.g. Dark Ritual, Necropotence, Mana Vault, Vampiric Tutor, Stasis)

EDIT: I AM AN IDIOT. I made most of these judgements prior to looking through M10-M20. Now that I have, I realise that WotC has done a good job in recent years of making control viable in core sets. Lightning bolt and aggro in general are not as powerful as I considered them to be earlier. Ignore my comment regarding the bolt.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 04:54:38 pm by MisterDalek »
I play black decks.

That's about it.

GamerAwsome101

• Decks
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2019, 11:05:18 pm »
i like platypuses

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2019, 12:04:31 am »
Mister Doctor! I have not seen old Doctor Who. Only the new, and not too much of that.

I have never played vintage, so I won't speak to that.

A sol ring in commander is great, but it isn't the deciding factor in a game. And if you're comparing that to a Mana Vault, then I think it'll be fine in this format.

With this said, I will acknowledge that cards that net you mana such as sol ring, mana vault, mana crypt and grim monolith are very powerful if they don't contain the downside of entering tapped. But come on, how is white supposed to compete with green's ramp any way else?
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2019, 12:33:54 am »
A sol ring in commander is great, but it isn't the deciding factor in a game. And if you're comparing that to a Mana Vault, then I think it'll be fine in this format.

With this said, I will acknowledge that cards that net you mana such as sol ring, mana vault, mana crypt and grim monolith are very powerful if they don't contain the downside of entering tapped. But come on, how is white supposed to compete with green's ramp any way else?

The reason why Sol Ring and other fast mana work in commander is because it's a multiplayer format. The multiplayer aspect balances things out. In 1 vs 1, whoever gets the fast mana first easily dominates the game.

As for white versus green, that doesn't matter as much in 1 vs 1. Although white doesn't have anywhere near as much ramp, that's not a deciding factor. White has other things that keep it ahead.