deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord - plz help  (Read 450 times)

Blazerapter1

• Decks
[EDH / Commander] Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord - plz help
« on: August 30, 2019, 04:42:35 pm »
HI guys and gals, My jarad deck has to many card in it currently and I need some cards to take out, if you wouldn't mind taking a look at it (https://deckstats.net/decks/138819/1382000-jarad-sac) and give me some suggestions, Thanks in Advance!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 04:47:11 pm by Blazerapter1 »

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord - plz help
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 05:25:42 pm »
Hey!

Cool deck. Golgari sacrifice and graveyard stuff is my kind of stuff.

So for me it seems that what we want to do is use Jarad to kill our opponents. What we want is ramp, cards, and powerful creatures (and ways to buff them further still).

I like a lot of cards in this deck, but there a few I don't feel really gain you all that much.

One thing is you probably don't need all that many sac outlets. Now this is tough for me to admit, I love a sac outlet. Ashnod's altar is, to this day, my favourite magic card of all time. However, things like Mind Slash are less impactful. If you have Jarad out, you're not going to want to use it to sac the creatures, and if you don't, it doesn't get you any closer to your goal. Hand disruption is nice, but probably not what we're going for here.

I have a Yahenni, Undying Partisan deck, and I took out every other sac outlet in that deck. When it came down to it, I just didn't want to sac stuff to anything other than Yahenni. I feel like this is probably a similar situation.

Also Golgari Germination is another example of a good card that doesn't really advance your strategy. Saprolings are fine, but you're not going to sac them to Jarad, the 1 power just isn't worth it, so it could probably go.

Dead mans chest feels a little out of place. Again, not a bad card, just doesn't fit to your strat.

I think the key thing is to decide what your deck wants to do and ask yourself if each card is helping you get there.

Also, Bontu's Last Reckoning should go. I've tried to make this card work, but I've never found a time where the trade off was worth it. Going back to my Yahenni deck, I managed to use it to hit my opponent for lethal commander damage on turn 4 (Yahenni out with a Blade of the Bloodchief equipped, wiped the board with Bontu's Last Reckoning and got up to 21 power with the counters). It still wasn't worth it. The downside is just so steep. I'm not even going to put it in K'rrik where I don't need lands to play it. It's just too rough.

Do or Die is a similar thing. It's potentially huge, but the times where it works out aren't going to be enough to justify it.

But essentially, this is a super cool deck but I think it just needs a little more focus. If a card doesn't help you with you ultimate strat, it can probably go, even if it's good.

Whatever you decide to cut, I hope you find a balance that works for you. Good luck!

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 05:41:47 pm »
We did something for this!

If ever you have trouble deciding what cards to cut, this thread will help.

https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,42562.0.html

Blazerapter1

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 06:04:25 pm »
Thanks for the help! (btw the idea in my deck is to steal stuff and sac is so there is more stuff in my graveyard for Jarad) but I agree for Dead Man's Chest. Thanks.