deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: TCP  (Read 330 times)

Bflip26

• Decks
TCP
« on: March 24, 2021, 05:35:09 am »
TCP

Hey there I am kind of new to commander and was trying to make this deck into a Trample/Counters/Populate deck. Let me know if there are things you would take out/put in, if I am trying to do too many different thing in the deck. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: TCP
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 12:14:21 pm »
Welcome to the Commander format.  Aggro decks often need multiple avenues of getting over the finish line.  So this is a decent type of strategy.

This is a really good first build.  You've got a lot of ramp.  A lot of removal.  You've got some protection spells.  You've got some card draw.  You've got a decent land count.  You could find that 37 is actually too many lands.  But I wouldn't actually advocate removing any until you play it a couple times.  I would suggest swapping out the bounce lands (Boros Garrison, Gruul Turf, Selesnya Sanctuary).  I might have missed it, but I didn't see anything with landfall triggers.  The only reason to run all 3 of these is to maximize landfall triggers.  I wouldn't run all 3.  I did notice that your duals lean toward red/green.  This is ok.  If Selesnya Sanctuary is your only dual for white/green, go ahead and run that one.  Since your early plays (ramp) are green, you don't really need any white/red duals.

Beyond that, my advise would be to separate your decklist into sections.  Each section should be a reason why that card is in the deck - ramp, card draw, trample, counters, proliferate, removal, land, etc.  You can  ake the categories whatever your deck needs.  This will help you determine where to make changes as you get experience playing the deck.

Also, your latest version only has 99 cards.  A commander deck is to be EXACTLY 100 cards, including the commander(s).  So you need to add one more.  Rampaging Baloths would fit into your theme, as well as provide you some landfall triggers.  A card that I like to add, especially in decks with lots of permanents, is Pyxis of Pandemonium.

Happy Brewing!
:)

Judaspriester

• Decks
Re: TCP
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 02:08:39 pm »
On the first look, it seems fine. In addition to what ApothecaryGeist already said, I have just 2 nutpicks:
Circuitous Route - in a low budget deck that makes use of guildgates this card may be fine, otherwise I personally prefere cheaper ramp spells here. the jumps from 2 to 3 and from 3 to 4 are more important than from 4 to 6. Nature's Lore or Kodama's Reach would be interesting alternatives
Paradise Druid - solid dork by itself, I just think there are 2 alternatives that are a little better: Ilysian Caryatid (additional mana once you got the first rhino) and Sylvan Caryatid (more expensive budgetwise but always hexproof and doesn't die to anything in case you need an emergency blocker).

Hmm.. thinking about this, you could(!) replace one land with Darksteel Ingot or Skyclave Relic.

@ApothecaryGeist Pyxis of Pandemonium seems really interesting for my 100 permanents muldrotha deck, thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 11:46:35 pm by Judaspriester »
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.