deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Autor Tópico: need help with some rules, a trick i dont know if it works  (Lida 503 vezes)

vali0021

• Decks
need help with some rules, a trick i dont know if it works
« em: Outubro 06, 2019, 11:25:36 am »
growth spiral then you put mystic sanctuary down can you theb get growth spiral up wich you just cast?

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Re: need help with some rules, a trick i dont know if it works
« Responder #1 em: Outubro 06, 2019, 12:39:09 pm »
I would say yes. No. According to 608.2k:

608.2k As the final part of an instant or sorcery spell’s resolution, the spell is put into its owner’s graveyard.

This means that once Growth Spiral has begun resolving no further actions can intervene the resolving of the card according to 608.2j:

608.2j If an instant spell, sorcery spell, or ability that can legally resolve leaves the stack once it starts to resolve, it will continue to resolve fully.

Mystic Sanctuary's ability is placed on the stack. At this point you need to declare the target for its ability like ApothecaryGeist outlines below. So no go since it can't see a target that is still on the stack. Once Mystic Sanctuary begins resolving it can see the Growth Spiral that was just put to the graveyard.

There are exceptions to this: actions that do not use the stack. "When ~ enters the battlefield" is not one of them. Rather, it's a regular triggered ability that is just placed on the stack and can be targeted by cards like Stifle.

EDIT: everything
« Última modificação: Outubro 06, 2019, 04:30:19 pm por MustaKotka »
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

vali0021

• Decks
« Responder #2 em: Outubro 06, 2019, 01:06:31 pm »
thx!  :D thats insane

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Responder #3 em: Outubro 06, 2019, 01:35:14 pm »
thx!  :D thats insane
Well, you do need three islands to begin with :P So you're looking at T3-T4 and I'm not sure how many lands people have in their hands. Unless, of course, you're talking about an EDH lands deck, in which case great value!

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Responder #4 em: Outubro 06, 2019, 03:30:18 pm »
Oooh.  Sorry folks.  This doesn't quite work.  While all the rules that have been stated are true.  There is an additional step to consider.  When Mystic Sanctuary enters the battlefield, its ability goes on the stack.  The ability targets a card in your graveyard.  That target must be selected at this point.  So when the target must be selected, Growth Spiral is still on the stack.
« Última modificação: Outubro 06, 2019, 04:04:13 pm por ApothecaryGeist »
Happy Brewing!
:)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Responder #5 em: Outubro 06, 2019, 04:27:56 pm »
Oooh.  Sorry folks.  This doesn't quite work.  While all the rules that have been stated are true.  There is an additional step to consider.  When Mystic Sanctuary enters the battlefield, its ability goes on the stack.  The ability targets a card in your graveyard.  That target must be selected at this point.  So when the target must be selected, Growth Spiral is still on the stack.
You're right.
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/613489/magic-the-gathering-is-officially-the-worlds-most-complex-game/

Soren841

• Decks
« Responder #6 em: Outubro 06, 2019, 04:45:37 pm »
But it wouldn't trigger until it's in the grave because nothing can happen while a spell is resolving, yes?
Nils is the God I worship

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Responder #7 em: Outubro 06, 2019, 05:15:31 pm »
But it wouldn't trigger until it's in the grave because nothing can happen while a spell is resolving, yes?

Incorrect.  It is true that no players get priority while a spell/ability is resolving.  But that doesn't mean "nothing else can happen".  Anything that would go on the stack during resolution of a spell/ability via game rules - mainly triggered abilities - proceed to go on the stack.  Once the current spell has finished resolving, then the active player receives priority.  And from there we go to the usual procedure of adding to the stack/passing priority around the table/resolve the top object on the stack.

(This kind of thing also come up when you are allowed to cast spells during the resolution of another spell/ability, such as the triggered ability of Etali, Primal Storm.)
Happy Brewing!
:)