deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Adaptive Sisay  (Read 505 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Adaptive Sisay
« on: June 02, 2020, 05:16:50 pm »
Adaptive Sisay

Ever since Paradox Engine got banned, I've been wanting to make a good adaptive stax deck. With the release of Jegantha, the Wellspring, I think I finally have a shot.

The goal of this deck is to play stax pieces from the deck at instant-speed using Sisay, Weatherlight Captain. I can play Ashiok, Dream Render in response to a tutor. Narset, Partner of Veils in response to a windfall.

Once there is enough stax on the board, I can go for a combo.

Combos

Tainted/Consultation lines
These ones are relatively easy to pull off. Using either Tainted Pact or Demonic Consultation, I can exile my entire library, then win with Jace, Wielder of Mysteries or Thassa's Oracle.

Najeela combo
On the end step before my turn, I search up Jegantha, the Wellspring. On my turn, I activate Sisay using Jegantha's mana. Search and play Derevi, Empyrial Tactician, and untap Jegantha. Activate Sisay again, this time playing Samut, Voice of Dissent. Pay 1 white and untap Jegantha. Activate Sisay and get Najeela, the Blade-Blossom. Go to combat and attack with Derevi and optionally Najeela and Sisay. Use one of the untaps on Jegantha. Before combat ends, use Jegantha to pay for Najeela and get an extra combat step. Repeat to win.

What I'm having trouble with is figuring out what to swap out for a proper protection and tutor package, and also if I'm missing any good legendary stax pieces.

Any suggestions?

DavidAuer

• Decks
Re: Adaptive Sisay
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 02:01:29 am »

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 09:17:26 am »
Could you explain Gideon of the Trials? I'm missing something.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 12:26:11 pm »
The first two abilities on Gideon are useless. it's only the emblem that matters. It stops Thassa's Oracle and similar combos. Because he's only 3 mana it's pretty easy to get him out turn 2, in time to stop the combo.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 02:46:33 pm »
While it's tutorable it's not instant speed unlike most of your interaction. What happens if you replace Gideon with Stifle, Trickbind or Tale's End? How often do you know exactly a turn ahead that you need to prepare to lose or play Gideon?

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 04:46:30 pm »
How often do you know exactly a turn ahead that you need to prepare to lose or play Gideon?

You make a good point. I'll do some testing but I'm now more inclined to swap him out. Thanks for the help.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 09:16:51 am »
I've also been thinking about the trio Anafenza, the Foremost, Drannith Magistrate & Kunoros, Hound of Athreos. Do you think you'll need all of them? I understand they fill a little different roles but all of them basically prevent GY strategies and you don't have as much redundancy for preventing other (specific) strategies. Personally I would probably pick just Kunoros since it's cheap to play, tutorable and covers most bases. That would free up two slots for protection.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 01:55:14 pm »
Anafenza has the additional benefit of buffing Sisay to grab bigger legends.

Thalia, Heretic Cathar isn't bad. You only have seven artifacts, so Kataki, War's Wage might be worth a look. Also, the Tabernacle is legendary, but you might be too creature reliant to run it. Inventors' Fair would let you use Sisay to tutor for non-legendary artifact stax pieces, but 9 mana for that effect is probably too steep. I don't know, seems like you're running basically all the good legendary stax.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 06:23:05 pm »
Drannith Magistrate stops more than just graveyard strategies. It also stops commanders from being cast, Food Chain combo, cascade, Underworld Breach, and more. It's staying.

Anafenza vs Kunoros is one I've been wrestling with. They both do slightly different things, but I'm not sure if it's worth running both of them. Anafenza does give more colours, but Kunoros is a more useful effect. I'll have to decide on one, and swap the other in from time to time.

Thalia is an alright effect. I used her back when I played Captain Sisay and found that she wasn't that useful. Same with Kataki, believe it or not. Kataki was ultimately too small of an effect to make a difference.

I realize now that I never addressed your comment DavidAuer. First off, Iona, Shield of Emeria is banned. Grand Abolisher and Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir probably aren't needed, because I already have Teferi, Time Raveler. Angelic Arbiter is way too much mana for what it does (most of the decks I'll be up against don't use the combat phase). Which leaves Sanctum Prelate. I've given some thought to this one, along with Containment Priest. With Flash Hulk banned now, I'm not sure if I'll need them. I'll see if I can find a way to swap in Sanctum Prelate for a test run.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 09:00:26 pm »
Drannith Magistrate stops more than just graveyard strategies. It also stops commanders from being cast, Food Chain combo, cascade, Underworld Breach, and more. It's staying.
You're right and I'm not. How can I always forget that it stops commanders from being cast? Food Chain was a new one to me, didn't think of that.