deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Card Database Update and Collection Manager Improvements  (Read 2598 times)

Nils

• Decks
Card Database Update and Collection Manager Improvements
« on: November 26, 2019, 10:17:12 pm »
Over the last few months I have been working on a major overhaul of our card database. The aim behind this is to enable me to add some features people have long been asking for, including:
  • High-res card images for all sets
  • Card images for both sides of flip cards
  • Tracking alternate art cards in collections
  • Support for more promos and unusual sets
  • Listing the tokens used by a deck
Most of this will be possible thanks to the data provided by Scryfall, which we are integrating into our own card database. So a big shout out to their team for building this great resource and making it freely available!

Since this is such a large effort I am working on it in phases. To begin with, I will update our card database over the next few days but not add any new features yet. Please note that we may run into some technical problems during this update, such as card images not working right or card data not showing up. If you notice any issues in the next few days, please let me know here or by email/Twitter.

Once this phase is complete and we are sure there are no major issues I will start working on adding new features. I hope that we will have most of these features available over the next few weeks/months.

So please bear with me while we make these changes and let me know if you notice anything wrong.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 09:25:55 pm by Nils »

Nils

• Decks
Re: Announcement: Card Database Update
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 11:24:24 pm »
I have now completed the first step of the card database update.

Starting now, you should be seeing more high-res card images. Over the next few days these should start being shown for almost all cards. You can also clear your browser's cache to see them immediately.

If you notice anything wrong, please let me know!

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 02:54:43 pm »
Related to this, we have now started displaying compressed images for the quick card info that you see when you mouse over a card (eg. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth)

Visually this shouldn't make much of a difference but it will decrease the amount of data your browser needs to download by up to a factor of 20. So this should significantly speed up these images, especially for people on a slower connection.

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 01:31:04 pm »
Good news: After a few weeks of coding and testing I have now finally finished upgrading our card database!

A few changes you might notice:
  • When you view a set, you can see all available printings for all cards, including full-art etc. Each of them should have the correct high-resolution image available.
  • You can now specify the printing for each card in your collection. Just click the set logo and select the entry in the list that has the correct collector number.
  • Tokens are now in our card database and can be added to collections.
  • We have refreshed the collection manager interface and the deck tools menu a bit. The collection import page has been updated and now supports importing CSV files directly from MTGO.
  • We now have a bunch of additional sets for promos, tokens, etc. These all match the sets used on Scryfall.

Some caveats and things I am still working on:
  • Soon you will also be able to choose the printing for cards in decks.
  • I am also working on a feature that will make a list of the tokens used in a given deck.
  • Our pricing data does not take into account which printing you chose, so prices may not be entirely correct.

Please give it a try and let me know how it goes.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 02:15:00 pm by Nils »

Nils

• Decks
Re: Card Database Update and Collection Manager Improvements
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 04:51:22 pm »
So far the only issue I have come across is that cards with multiple faces (such as Chalice of Life and Westvale Abbey) now have both parts in their name (Chalice of Life // Chalice of Death and Westvale Abbey // Ormendahl, Profane Prince).

I have gone and updated all of these card names in all decks and collections. If you're still getting errors about an unknown card name somewhere please let me know.

TastyPastryCupcake

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 03:40:16 am »
I'm not sure where to post for help, sorry if I'm causing a problem.

Today I've ran into an issue with the card database, specifically while in the deckbuilder. No matter what settings I change, I can't get Primeval Titan or Emrakul, the Aeons Torn to show up (don't worry, I'm not trying to run Emrakul). I assume those aren't the only two cards that aren't showing up. Weird thing is that I have Primeval Titan in the Maybeboard of another deck, which I looked at earlier today.

I hope this issue will be fixed soon, and please let me know when it is (or if the problem is a user error  :P)! I discovered Deckstats about month ago and it's been an invaluable resource to me, both for managing my collection and building decks. I'd like to keep binging on deckbuilding!

Spinsane

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 04:20:46 am »
I can't get Primeval Titan or Emrakul, the Aeons Torn to show up
I have to assume you were working on a Commander/EDH deck and left the “Commander legal” filter up? Make sure you go to filters and set the deckbuilder to show all cards if you want to add a card that is not legal in the format you’re building a deck for...

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 11:27:14 am »
Yes - as Spinsane suggests this was probably because you had a filter enabled that filtered out these cards. When you select Casual as the format for your deck they should both show up.

WolfRage

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 02:52:13 am »
I realize this is an older thread, so sorry for necromancing, but it is applicable. I would like to search card text in my collection. I know in the collection we can currently search the type and name, but not the card text. Is this due to the size of such searches, as in such querry could take a long time to complete? Currently as a work around I am using Scryfall, but the limitation there is it does not know about my collection, so instead includes every possible card. Thanks for your awesome resource. Do you have a patreon or means of accepting donations?

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 10:49:33 am »
As you have guessed we don't support this at the moment because of the amount of data that would have to be searched for large collections.

What is it that you're trying to use this for?

If you're looking for cards in your collection to add to a deck, there is a simple a workaround: You can go to the deckbuilder, select "Collection only" on top and then search through there.

And thank you for your interest in support deckstats! At the moment we have nothing set up for donations but we are looking into adding something like Patreon. Until then, please just support us by telling your friends about the site :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 10:51:28 am by Nils »

WolfRage

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 04:04:00 pm »
That is exactly what I am trying to use it for! I just assumed it worked like the collection search it's self did. But it is definitely better!

I was able to search for the text "have first strike", to find cards that give it to others. Thanks!

Make sure you update us once you have a Patreon, this resource is amazing for one of my favorite hobbies.

ALT-F-X

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 06:42:25 pm »
How do I specify a certain land artwork in a set with multiples?

My specific situation is I have "GRN Ravnica Weekend #A05 Swamp" as my lands for a deck but selecting that promo set defaults to "GRN Ravnica Weekend #A02 Swamp" presumably because it's going in order.

This is relevant to all sets though, if I were to be using specific lands out of Eldraine or something I can't figure out how to select certain artworks other than whatever the deckbuilder defaults to.

Thanks in advanced.

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 09:41:45 pm »
When you go to the set picker for Swamp in your collection and search for GRN you should see the attached - including #A02 and #A05. Are these now showing up for you? Please note that we don't have full support for alternative art in decklists yet, so this will only work in the collection manager.

ALT-F-X

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 12:12:54 am »
I do, I also see in the collection manager you can direct entry "Collector Number" as well and that works as well. Is there any plan on integrating that feature into deck lists?

I also wanted to thank you for adding promo sets in the first place. It is an appreciated feature.

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 08:51:59 pm »
Yes, I am hoping to add this to deck lists as well soon!