deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: In need of Birds - EDH  (Read 889 times)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
In need of Birds - EDH
« on: January 04, 2020, 09:38:42 am »
Hey everyone.

So the power creep in my EDH playgroup has been pretty real recently, and I am one of those guilty of it. This isn't necessarily a problem as it's something that most of our playgroup have been doing, but there are a couple who haven't.

As such, I've been working on a lower powered deck for when we want to play that kind of game.

I've settled on Kangee, Aerie Keeper, going deep on the bird tribal.

The deck list as it currently stands can be found here:

https://deckstats.net/decks/132604/1510627-birds-of-war

I want this deck to end up 100% birds. All my creatures will be birds or make birds. All my non creature spells will have birds in the art.

All of my basics already have birds in the art, but the non basics don't. If necessary, I'll run 100% basics to cater for it.

I was hoping for some suggestions please. Creatures are naturally easy enough, but scryfall doesn't have a "does it have a bird in the art" filter criteria so the non creature options are proving trickier to find. For example, ramp options are tricky to come by (shout out to Azorius Keyrune). I'm yet to work my way through every single print of every mana rock allowed to be used in Azorius colours in EDH.

So that's my goal. 100% bird related cards. If you have any recommendations, please share them. In an ideal world they will be functionally similar to an existing card in the deck that is not bird related (for example, River's Rebuke isn't very birdy, but that effect is very valuable in my meta as we have a guy who plays a Phyrexian Unlife / Delaying Shield / Solemnity lock).

Also, with it being a shitty jank deck, I'd prefer budget options, but will gladly hear any and all suggestions.

I'll endeavour to get bird prints of any card that has had multiple prints with multiple arts too. For example, I bought the old art for Rout because it's got those Phyrexian bird-esque robots in the background.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 09:40:14 am by CleanBelwas »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
Re: In need of Birds - EDH
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 01:52:52 pm »
I know it is budget but how about swan song, Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer, Soulcatchers' Aerie, and Glint Hawk Idol?

Those came from a quick search as well
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 02:12:13 pm »
You could have more luck if you extended the restriction to "birds and the sky" because then you could for example play Revised Sol Ring and say it's the Sun. I tried some searches and (for me) it was impossible to find anything you didn't have already.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 06:03:40 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions and ideas guys.

Swan song is a good shout. If I already owned one it'd be straight in. Wasn't sure about the price justification but you don't get more birdy than that majestic beast of a swan so maybe it's worth it.

Soulcatcher's Aerie is already in. I put it in the birds section as it is for bird synergies so it's easy to miss.

Glint Hawk Idol isn't quite birdy enough. I've already taken out the likes or Arcanist's Owl because I'm not really running enough artifacts to warrant it so a bird that is only a bird if I pay for it seems less birdy than a bird that is always a bird.

Mu Yanling is sweet too, but honestly I'm just not into planeswalkers. I'm probably going to take out Emeria Angel, Windreader Sphinx and Sephara' Sky's Blade too to be honest. I've already taken out Kefnet the Mindful for not being birdy enough, and I love that guy. I'm after bird cards, not good cards.

Broadening the definition of the deck might be a route I go down if I need a little more give on the theme. I'm holding out for someone who played in the 90s to come through with all this sweet secret bird tech, but it might not come to pass.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 06:26:54 pm »
Since your deck is art driven ... perhaps if you gave us a list of the cards you want to cut for not being birdy enough.  Then we know if you're looking for creatures, lands, ramp, etc.

What about Soraya the Falconer?  Not a bird.  But pumps all birds.  And there's a bird perched on her arm.
Happy Brewing!
:)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 06:42:06 pm »
Since your deck is art driven ... perhaps if you gave us a list of the cards you want to cut for not being birdy enough.  Then we know if you're looking for creatures, lands, ramp, etc.

Hey man, sure thing. Good idea.

Primed on the chopping board are:

Skullclamp
Windreader Sphinx
Sephara, Sky's Blade
Emeria Angel
Azorius Locket
Darksteel Ingot
Prismatic Lens
Talisman of Progress
Ur-Golem's Eye
Blessed Light
Cast Out
River's Rebuke
Transmogrifying Wand (though I'm currently justifying this by virtue of Kangee being a wizard)
Non-Basic Lands

I'm probably just going to have to accept that if I want an artifact ramp package, I'll have to leave out the birds.

I'm hopeful that somewhere in the annals of Magic history there are more bird related draw options, return to hand stuff and some exile effects.

Soraya the Falconer is good. It is at least bird related. The bird perched on her arm is pretty sweet. I'll add her to the maybe pile. Some of the actual birds are garbage so she may yet make the cut. Thanks man

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 06:58:26 pm »
Storm Crow. Do it for the meme.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 06:59:05 pm »

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 01:20:28 am »
I found a few nonbasics you could use ...

I found two that make WB mana.  Thalakos Lowlands and Mystic Gate.  But only the Zendikar Expedition version of Mystic Gate.

And two that make mana of any color.  Survivors' Encampment and Tarnished Citadel.

Unfortunately I did not see any fetches that have birds aside from a couple off-color fetches.  Which won't be any better than a basic without having duals with land types.
Happy Brewing!

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 10:35:20 am »
Haha shit dude that's awesome.

Thanks for your efforts, much appreciated.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 02:22:41 pm »
I figured swan song because it is on Tcg a little less then $5.00 market price but I found one so far and Seaside Haven has a bird on it while it is used in a bird deck and it is also a land.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 02:55:32 pm »
I've found you a few mana rocks too.

You have Azorius Keyrune, which has a bird totem on it.

Seashell Cameo depicts a winged woman.  But the flavor text calls out that the artist coulldn't decide between sculpting a woman or a bird.  So they are definitely BIRD wings.

Paradise Mantle is depicted as being made of feathers.  Bird feathers.  It may be a little odd for a bird to need to wear feathers.  But it is an equipment that will turn any creature into a Birds of Paradise.

Pilgrim's Eye is technically a thopter, which is an artificial bird.  This one is depicted a looking like a bird.  And it'll fetch a basic.  So it's probably close enough since you're scant on bird-themed mana ramp.

Gold Myr from Mirrodin or Planechase expansions has birds flying overhead.  He will only make white mana and alas the blue counterpart has no birds.

Scaretiller, as a scarecrow, has a bunch of crows on it.  It will only ramp you by allowing you to play a land from your hand, so you will need adequate card draw spells to utilize Scaretiller.

Happy Brewing!

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 03:02:55 pm »
I've found you a few mana rocks too.

You have Azorius Keyrune, which has a bird totem on it.

Seashell Cameo depicts a winged woman.  But the flavor text calls out that the artist coulldn't decide between sculpting a woman or a bird.  So they are definitely BIRD wings.

Paradise Mantle is depicted as being made of feathers.  Bird feathers.  It may be a little odd for a bird to need to wear feathers.  But it is an equipment that will turn any creature into a Birds of Paradise.

Pilgrim's Eye is technically a thopter, which is an artificial bird.  This one is depicted a looking like a bird.  And it'll fetch a basic.  So it's probably close enough since you're scant on bird-themed mana ramp.

Gold Myr from Mirrodin or Planechase expansions has birds flying overhead.  He will only make white mana and alas the blue counterpart has no birds.

Scaretiller, as a scarecrow, has a bunch of crows on it.  It will only ramp you by allowing you to play a land from your hand, so you will need adequate card draw spells to utilize Scaretiller.

Holy shit dude, that's amazing.

Thanks so much. These are great, flavourful options.

Much appreciated.

MisterDalek

• Waiting for gary in standard
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 12:30:25 am »
I don't know if you have the basic's set aside for the deck already, but I'm pretty sure these are the only two lands with birds clearly in their art. Just to make the deck 100% birb.

https://scryfall.com/card/inv/350/forest?utm_source=mci

https://scryfall.com/card/roe/234/island?utm_source=mci
I play black decks.

That's about it.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 08:12:18 am »
Wouldn't Kefnet the Mindful and God-Eternal Kefnet be birdy enough?

Same with Wild Aesthir, Duskrider Peregrine, Coveted Peacock, Messenger Jays, Welkin Tern, Welkin Guide, Anvilwrought Raptor, Judge's Familiar, Celestial Gatekeeper, Sphinx's Revelation, a Plains from Mirage, Crookclaw Elder, Crookclaw Transmuter, Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker, Cloudreach Cavalry, Raven Familiar, Aven Brigadier.

Sorry for wall of text. I tried including every possibly playable bird I could find that you didn't have, especially those with draw effects to help with land drops.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 09:09:36 am by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.