deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Upcoming projects  (Read 569 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Upcoming projects
« on: March 02, 2020, 10:23:36 pm »
I have a couple pet projects that I want to do involving commander, but I can't do it alone. I have a lot of people in my playgroup that are willing to help, but I would like to get data and opinions from other playgroups. If there is anything here that you would like to help with, or something you would like to see, let me know. If enough people want to help, I'll make new topics for them.

Commander banlist tryouts

I'm done with talking about what cards should go on the banlist. I want to determine what can safely come off. If Protean Hulk was allowed off, then I'm sure there are other things. But just because these cards would be fine in my playgroup, does not mean it's good for everyone.

I want a wide variety of metas to test the cards on the banlist, and see which cards are safe to come off. Soren 841, I was hoping that you and I would test these among cEDH groups, and push these cards to their limit. We'll be judging the cards based on power. Anyone else that wants to help can test these cards in their own meta, to see if these cards are fine at the casual level. This is going to be more opinion based than stats based, just report how you feel about these cards. And if anyone has experience with some of these cards already I'd love to hear it.

Deck Powerlevel

A few months ago we wouldn't shut up about deck powerlevels. I'm bringing this discussion back, with less Dragon Ball references this time around.

Judaspriester and dexflux worked on a Commander Powertable found here:
https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,49777.0.html

This is more than just a starting point. We can turn this into a powerlevel calculator. One of the issues that this power table had was that it put equal weight on all criteria. Having a good land base was just as good as having a good combo; which of course isn't true. Fortunately, I have the solution: a multiple linear regression. It can figure out what the weights for each criteria is, and then when we insert the qualities of a given deck, the calculator will churn out a rating from 1 to 10.

In order to get this off the ground, I need decks with a definitive power level. What decklist is a 10? What decklist is a 1? Once we get enough decks together with defined power levels, I can do the multiple linear regression, and we'll finally be able to determine powerlevels.

I am not looking forward to the stats work this involves.

Stats 101

I feel like this one will generate the least amount of interest, but I'll suggest it anyway. Is anyone interested in learning statistics and probabilities that are relevant to MTG?

I could start a topic that would show things like base probability, hypergeometric probability, and data gathering. It wouldn't be a full university-style stats course, I would just be going over the stuff that is relevant to us. If ever you've wanted to do some of the stats stuff I often do, let me know.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: Upcoming projects
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 11:20:51 pm »

I've always been fairly certain that the Moxen and Library of Alexandria are only on the banlist due to price point rather than power level.  I personally would like to see those come off the list.  I'm curious if anyone's playgroup will test these out.

Deck Powerlevel

I am not looking forward to the stats work this involves.

And if this takes a lot of complicated math, how is the average shmoe at home going to assess their deck's power level with it?

Lastly ... do you know what my favorite part of Casual Commader is?  I don't have to give a crap about stats.  :)  I say that jokingly as a parody of your catchphrase, Morganator.  But I really am not concerned about the stats of my Commander deck.  The only stat I am concerned with is "Do I have fun playing this deck".  Occasionally I'll look at whether I have critical mass of artifacts to turn on metalcraft - or some such thing.  But I'm not generally looking at specific numbers.  I do that in my job all day.  I don't need it in my hobby.
Happy Brewing!
:)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 11:48:39 pm »
On the subject of unbannings, I've had a fair amount of experience playing a few banned cards.

I've played Sundering Titan. It's not overly powerful, but it is annoying. I can see why they ban it on the basis of fun rather than power level.

Panoptic Mirror features in one of my decks, and it's been fine. I get that it's easy to pair it with an extra turn card and that's tedious, but in my experience it's no worse than many other 2 card combos. It requires a fair bit of set up, it's pretty slow to have an effect, not unfairly costed, not particularly difficult to interact with.

My meta is super casual.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 12:27:49 am »
Did Morgy just complain about stats? I must've really hurt him when I kicked his ass.

Sorry, I'm not quoting shit as it's hard to do on my phone.

The first idea of unbannings is cool. Especially if we can get the entire community, or a non negligible amount of it to participate.

The second idea is also cool, but ApothecaryGeist has a point. Good luck getting people to participate. I'm more than happy to, but I feel like most people could care less. If I'm not mistaken even cEDH players like Soren841 dont go too hard into stats. They adjust the deck as they need to. For lack of a better word, they feel their deck.

The third idea is also a good one I can get behind, but it has the same problem as the second idea. Not enough people care. But if you're willing to put the time and effort in, I think it would be immensely helpful to a lot of people. People that want a statistically most optimized deck and people trying to make a decent deck for the first time.

I dont think deckstats has enough people to really make it a significant sample size, so you should consider posting this on reddit.

How's it feel to do the voluntelling, this time Morganator?

Soren how does it feel being volubtold?

Edit: Hey it's my 700th post guys!!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 12:34:05 am by Red_Wyrm »
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 03:25:00 pm »
I can talk to my playgroup. Pretty sure they'd be willing to help test out what could possibly come off the ban list.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 11:25:06 pm »
Alright, it's been 24 hours.

Stats 101 is out. Too much time, not enough interest.

The powerlevel calculator is a bit of a disappointment. I still really want a better way to calculate the strength of commander decks than what's being done so far.

That leaves the banlist. Awesome, I'd love to set something up for this. Once I figure out a good system for this. I'm thinking something like "This month we try out the moxen, next month will be reset the game effects".