deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: deckstats.net small suggestions  (Read 3062 times)

stebobibo

• Decks
deckstats.net small suggestions
« on: February 06, 2020, 03:34:31 am »
This is my first post. Is this the proper thread  for giving feedback? I'll first start out by thanking you for creating such a great website! It's the best one I've found, I use it all the time. I'm giving constructive criticism so you can hopefully make the site even better! ;D

I miss the "move to sideboard" button in the deck builder, which has recently been removed. The way you made it now, you have to click the checkbox, click move, then click sideboard. 3 clicks on different spaces on the screen. It's quite a chore now. And the alternative of dragging isn't always a good answer either. For one it moves you to sideboard (so u have to now scroll back up again edit mainboard), also, it can be a long scroll down if ur deck has lots of 1 ofs, u have lots of subsections, etc. Therefore, I recommend bringing back the buttons "move to sideboard" and "move to mainboard"(from sideboard). Also, on a similar note, I recommend adding an additional button for moving to maybeboard. This has been a function I've always wanted, as it always took forever to individually drag cards to the maybeboard (especially if coming from main since it's the farthest).

Something I really don't like about the new checkbox system is that after you move selected cards, it doesn't de-select them. Think about it, why would you want to ever move a card twice in a row? Only if you change your mind. Therefore, the default should be that it automatically de-selects them after you move them. Because now, with the current system, it is very time consuming to move cards to different places, and very easy to make mistakes (because of forgetting that the last cards moved are still selected)

Another thing I would like to see is a minus button. You have the plus button, but why not the minus? It makes it very tedious when removing some but not all of a card from your deck, because you have to first click the edit card button, delete the number, enter a new number (or click arrows), and then click update. So instead of 1 click to remove 1 card, I'm clicking 3.

Another thing, one of my biggest recommendations, is the ability to save while staying on the deck editor screen. I want to save my deck during editing often so I don't accidentally lose my changes. But I don't want to have to leave the page and come back constantly, it's time consuming, annoying, and unnecessary. Simply add a "save" button next to the "analyze", and "analyze and save" button.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 07:03:43 pm by Nils »

Nils

• Decks
Re: deckstats.net suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 10:38:07 am »
Thank you very much for your feedback stebobibo! As it happens, most of these are things I am working on right now :)

Move button: The move button will come back in a slightly different form soon. When you click on the button it will open a dialog with a list of all the sections in your deck. You click on one of those and the card gets moved. I know that's not quite as quick as the old "move to sideboard" but this way you can also use it to move your card anywhere else, like the maybeboard.

Deselecting cards: Do you think this will still be necessary once the move button is back? I can see arguments for handling this either way.

Minus button: I probably won't add this since I am trying to keep the number of different icons and buttons in that table to a minimum. It's already quite complicated. However, did you know that you can just click on the amount and enter a new number there? You don't need to use the edit card button.

Save button: This is something I am not working on right now but I'll look into it in the future.

stebobibo

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 05:47:41 pm »
Thanks a lot Nils for reading and taking the time to reply to my post! Great to hear about the things you are working on.

I would still strongly argue in favour of deselecting cards after moving, even with having a move button. Because you'll still want to use the checkboxes for moving multiple items to the same spot, and my reasons stated in the last post still apply just as much. What I would do is deselect them after clicking move, but not deselect them after clicking edit (so if one wants to edit, then move, they can)

I did not know about clicking the amount, thanks so much for informing me, that will save a lot of time! That does indeed reduce the need for a minus button.

stebobibo

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 03:18:12 am »
I found what might be a bug.
When you go to settings and "columns to show when viewing a deck", the system won't let you deselect the last item. You can deselect it and visually you will see no checkmark, but when you refresh the page the checkmark of the last deselected item has returned, and that is reflected in the deck viewing screen (that column is there).

It would be nice to be able to deselect all columns apart for name (including if you have in collection, which currently there is no option for this column). That way, you can easily copy  to your clipboard all card names of specific types (like enchantment, creature, etc), or rarity, colour, etc. I was wanting to do this to be able to make my own organized decklist for a commander deck (I wanted it all on one page, which is impossible with the print decklist tool).

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 01:34:41 pm »
Thanks a lot Nils for reading and taking the time to reply to my post! Great to hear about the things you are working on.

I would still strongly argue in favour of deselecting cards after moving, even with having a move button. Because you'll still want to use the checkboxes for moving multiple items to the same spot, and my reasons stated in the last post still apply just as much. What I would do is deselect them after clicking move, but not deselect them after clicking edit (so if one wants to edit, then move, they can)
Yes, I do agree with you that usually you wouldn't want to keep cards selected after moving. The one argument I could see for keeping them selected is in case you accidentally move them to the wrong place and they get mixed up with another set of cards, but one would hope that that only happens very rarely. I will think about this some more.

I did not know about clicking the amount, thanks so much for informing me, that will save a lot of time! That does indeed reduce the need for a minus button.
Great - I'll try to make this feature more easy to discover in the future.

I found what might be a bug.
When you go to settings and "columns to show when viewing a deck", the system won't let you deselect the last item. You can deselect it and visually you will see no checkmark, but when you refresh the page the checkmark of the last deselected item has returned, and that is reflected in the deck viewing screen (that column is there).

It would be nice to be able to deselect all columns apart for name (including if you have in collection, which currently there is no option for this column). That way, you can easily copy  to your clipboard all card names of specific types (like enchantment, creature, etc), or rarity, colour, etc. I was wanting to do this to be able to make my own organized decklist for a commander deck (I wanted it all on one page, which is impossible with the print decklist tool).
Thanks for reporting this bug, I'll look into it. I suspect that there is a check somewhere that requires at least one value to be set.

That said, I think there is a much easier solution for you, at least if you're on Firefox - press Ctrl, click in the table cell of the first name and then drag down. That should let you select all the values from that column, regardless of any other columns that might be visible.  You can also drag across two columns if you want both the amount and the name for example.

I am not sure if Chrome supports this though, so if you're using that you may need to find a different solution. Maybe you could copy from the Overview tab instead?

stebobibo

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 06:26:03 pm »
Thanks, Nils, for taking the time to respond! I did not know about that trick with ctrl for selecting one column. Thanks a lot for sharing that with me!  :) I have a few more suggestions to share.

In the deck builder page, an ability to select all the cards in one section (main, side, custom section, or maybeboard), with one click. You could put a checkmark button (maybe saying beside it, something like, "select whole section") at the top of the section that does this.

In the details page, I like how you can view the price of cards in your main deck. Extending this function to sideboard would be just as useful. You have the total price listed but no option for individual cards. By the way, what source is this total price from (tcg player, card kingdom etc)? It would also be useful for users to know where the total price is from. You could simply put text beside it, or on a mouse hover over.

Also to do with prices, being able to see a list of your maybeboard with prices would be handy as well. I often keep cards in my maybeboard that I'm thinking of buying for the deck to test out, but don't have room in the main. So it would be handy to know the price, as I could easily sort out too expensive cards. One solution for this would be to have a price column (or the option to enable/disable a column) in the "Your Deck" section of the deck editing screen. Another solution would to have this information on the details screen, but you currently don't have maybeboard on this screen, so this would be more work to implement. Anyways, I prefer it on the deck editing page because it allows you to easily remove the cards that are too expensive. Also having this price column in the editing page removes the need for sideboard prices in the details page (which I was asking for in previous paragraph), so you kill two birds with one stone (side and maybe prices).

In the card editor screen, there is actually nowhere where it says the decks name. It would be easy to fit this in. The place I would put it (because it would use already empty real estate, is where it says "Your Deck (main:60/sideboard:15)". Instead of the words "your deck", could be the deck name. Or it could be right beside that as there is lots of room. Having the deck name shown helps cut out user confusion, especially when they made a copy of a deck (it's good to be reassured what deck ur working on).

Another feature that would be nice to have is the ability to make subsections within the maybeboard (just like you can in the mainboard). My maybeboard often gets large, and since there is no way to organize it, going back through it to see what cards should go into the main can be difficult and time consuming. So being able to make subsections would be really handy, and fix this problem.

On the compare decks page, it would be handy to have a directory of all your decks posted on that page. So you can easily select one of your other decks to compare with. Because right now it is a bit of a chore to have to open another tab, find and open that deck, copy its url, then paste it.

With the starting hand tool, adding even more buttons (at least 1, but 2 would be great) that either shade the card another colour or remove the card entirely (i prefer shading). This way you can simulate, and easily keep track of, multiple zones in a game of magic, and therefore make it easier to test how a deck plays out. Because currently you're only really able to keep track of cards played. And things get confusing when trying to simulate "look at the top x cards of your deck" effects, mill effects, creatures dying, discarding cards, etc, because we currently only have two "zones" to work with (hand and one other)

Thanks, Nils, for providing this wonderful website to the community! Hoping this feedback helps!

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 09:19:57 pm »
Thank you for all your feedback! Two of these (selecting entire sections and showing the name instead of the Your Deck heading) are actually things that are going to get added to the deckbuilder as soon as I finish testing my most recent batch of changes. Your other suggestions sound useful as well, so I will keep them all in mind for future updated.

dabeast01

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 09:04:09 pm »
Couple of questions/feature requests.

1. I believe I read either in this thread or a different one about being able to set collector number of the card to select the correct version (mostly basic lands). Could this be added to the import/export collection list?
        - I have this weird obsession of know exactly what cards I own so right now I just have them all in a google sheets and wrote a little script to format to match your import format.
2. Is there any way to do a custom sort of collection (type->cmc->alpha)? Or get these as avail fields on the export then I could script something up?

Thanks for your work.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 09:07:07 pm by dabeast01 »

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 09:21:35 pm »
1. When you export your collection as CSV there should be a column called collector_number. Is that not showing up for you?

2. Do you mean sort your cards when when exporting as CSV? Otherwise you should already be able to sort the table by clicking on the column names. Adding the fields to the output would be a bit complicated unfortunately.

dabeast01

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 11:14:47 pm »
1. collector_number is blank for all my cards even though they are correct name and set. This is not a field I can set on imports though so maybe that could be added?

2. Maybe I'm missing it but how do I sort by multiple columns?  I'd want to sort by type first then cmc then alpha

Thanks

EDIT:  After looking if I input the collector_number in manage collection it shows up on my export. I would think if we have card name and set there is a tie in the database that the export should pull collector_number if not manually set?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 11:18:14 pm by dabeast01 »

stebobibo

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 02:11:06 am »
Thank you for all your feedback! Two of these (selecting entire sections and showing the name instead of the Your Deck heading) are actually things that are going to get added to the deckbuilder as soon as I finish testing my most recent batch of changes. Your other suggestions sound useful as well, so I will keep them all in mind for future updated.
Thanks for reading and considering my suggestions! Glad to hear you are working on those two already! A few more quick suggestions I thought of:

On the deck editing page, an ability to collapse all subsections of the main deck (with one click).

Collection Magager. You know how you have that filter button for the card database? That feature would be just as (if not more) useful on the right side of the screen (the "your collection" zone) as well. Right now it's really hard to "audit" one's own collection to see if it's accurate and correct it, because you can't sort it by set. I know you have the "set" pages, but often cards don't show up there that you have (I think this has to do with the set pages only recognizing a specific collector number for each card, whereas often cards get added to ur collection with no collection number or a different one)

On that same collection magager screen, on the "your collection" part, would be nice to have a columns option (perhaps with same options as the card database side), as well as the options of enabling/disabling the columns you already have on that side. For me, the only columns I use on that side are the name and set, so I would disable lng,cond,foil, and pin. That would leave lots of room for having columns of mana, type, and price. Also, a "rarity" column would be very handy as I (and I presume many others) sort my paper collection partially by rarity.

On the "details" page of the deck, buttons for collapsing/expanding the different subsections (like "main","sideboard", "creature", "red", depending on what view you have selected). Just would make it easier to navigate that page, especially in very large decks with lots of sections.

poke6809

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 12:55:06 pm »
I noticed you removed the downwards arrow that flips cards into the sideboard. Just wanted to provide feedback that for EDH decks this function was vital, since drag&drop takes forever when dealing with 100 cards lists. Would love to see it back in. :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 04:18:01 pm by poke6809 »
Companion mechanic finally brought XYZ's and Synchros to MtG, just what we needed. (they changed it because after literally killing every format they realized their design was horrible)

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 07:03:50 pm »
Please have a look at the latest deckbuilder updates, which I hope will cover most of the deckbuilder requests posted here!

https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,52858.0.html

stebobibo

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 10:57:20 pm »
Hey Nils, loving the new update! Just had one just suggestion for you today.

In deck screen, on the "details" tab, going to "display" and "group cards by", I wish that here there was an option for "no sections", meaning all your cards are displayed with no headings. This way, you can then sort by, for example, price, to quickly find the costliest cards in your deck. This isn't a big change, but it'll make a huge difference!

stebobibo

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2020, 11:39:04 pm »
Suggestions for the "sets" pages.
When you are on any given set page, you just have the option for adding cards. I would also add the ability to subtract cards. It's just as useful and necessary as the ability to add. People often trade cards/ give away and sometimes accidentally add too many cards to their collection. 

I would actually have 3 buttons: Add, Subtract, and Delete. I really dislike how it is now where you can only add 1 card, whereafter the add button changes to delete. People often want to add more than 1 card. Sure you can enter with keyboard, but it's often much faster, easier, more convenient with just having to use your mouse. You could also add a fourth button if you wished, that removes all copies of a card from the collection. So it will just save clicks over using the subtract button if there's more than 1 copy of a card.