deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Deckstats Community EDH Brew-a-thon  (Read 2386 times)

jalabi

• Decks
Re: Deckstats Community EDH Brew-a-thon
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 01:22:32 am »
Estrid, the Masked.
1. Enchantress based
2. Opalescence, Parallax Tide and Parallax Wave are a must
3. Enchanted Evening and Helix Pinnacle

Don't want a STAX build and nothing crazy like MOAT as I'm currently trying to optimize her enough for my playgroup. These guys are not CEDH; however, run optimized builds.

Hope you guys can help!

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 01:26:58 am »
Here it is:

https://deckstats.net/decks/82803/1587591-deck-request-uro

You asked me to abuse one of his abilities. I chose the part where he sacrifices himself after entering the battlefield. If you make infinite mana it means that you can keep re-casting Uro, draw your entire deck, and then win with Thassa's Oracle.

Infinite mana combos:

Food Chain + Misthollow Griffin/Eternal Scourge

Deadeye Navigator + Peregrine Drake

Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal.

Tell me what you think.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2020, 12:33:07 pm »
You asked me to abuse one of his abilities. I chose the part where he sacrifices himself after entering the battlefield. If you make infinite mana it means that you can keep re-casting Uro, draw your entire deck, and then win with Thassa's Oracle.

Infinite mana combos:

Food Chain + Misthollow Griffin/Eternal Scourge

Deadeye Navigator + Peregrine Drake

Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal.

Tell me what you think.
This is genius, I love it. You just can't build a bad deck, can you? I focused on milling myself and escaping a lot of times for value but you're just shortcutting straight to the win part. I'm at a loss for words, I didn't see the potential in self-saccing commanders and now I want to go and see if your approach can be applied to other decks, too.

EDIT:
I finished my Kumena Voltron build. It's not a very powerful deck (as opposed to Morganator's) but it's probably a rather unqiue strategy to go for the first ability instead of the second or third.
https://deckstats.net/decks/93006/1586985-kumena-tyrant-of-orazca-voltro
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 06:56:18 pm by MustaKotka »
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 04:51:01 pm »
Here's me putting more effort than necessary into something again.

This probably isn't going to show up super well right now, but I'll post a clearer versions tonight. I made a table to show which decks are being built and by who. This let's you know which decks are still available to be made.

Legend
Black box: Your deck. You can't make it again.
Green box: Deck is made.
Yellow box: Deck has been called dibs
Red box: Someone else is already building this deck.

With that out of the way I think I'll do robort's Thryx tonight. I'm sure there is something I can come up with.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2020, 04:56:57 pm »
I think I'll take a shot at WizardSpartan's Alesha deck.
This space for rent.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2020, 05:11:21 pm »
I've not been particularly grabbed by anything yet (either simply not my style or decks I've built in the past already), so if people want to throw in some more suggestions too, that'd be sweet. Any old commanders you might have ran, even if you don't have the deck anymore. Or, even better, more people getting involved would always be welcome.

Otherwise I'll try and build a "get every different type of counter conceivable onto Skullbriar" deck because I like dumb decks more than good decks. Nobody wants to see that mess.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2020, 05:32:52 pm »
I've not been particularly grabbed by anything yet (either simply not my style or decks I've built in the past already), so if people want to throw in some more suggestions too, that'd be sweet. Any old commanders you might have ran, even if you don't have the deck anymore. Or, even better, more people getting involved would always be welcome.

Otherwise I'll try and build a "get every different type of counter conceivable onto Skullbriar" deck because I like dumb decks more than good decks. Nobody wants to see that mess.
I know you like wacky stuff so here goes (Morg, please don't add these to the table unless someone specifically picks them):
  • Skeleton Ship: I built it into a Pirates of the Caribbean theme deck but one could make a -1/-1 control deck out of it. Or a The Ballad of Captain Robert by Abney Park theme deck.
  • Taniwha: I have mine do bounce and some big behemoths but one could make it into a full-on bounce deck or lots of seacritters. Or just land hate. Or stax. Or Phasing Tribal. My favourite pet that I never got to work even remotely.
  • Mangara of Corondor: This is actually at the moment a Tiny Leaders list but nonetheless a fun Exile Tribal deck. Lots of Flicker, and any self-bounce and untaps you can find. If you do decide to do this I promise I'll expand mine into a full EDH list.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2020, 06:07:00 pm »
Yes MustaKotka! That's a little more me.

I'll take Skeleton Ship. I've been wanting to build Skeleton Ship for a long time anyway so this seems like a perfect time. -1/-1 counters, Dimir Control, weird old cards with sweet, creepy art that have really suffered from power creep. It's everything I love about Magic.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2020, 06:33:40 pm »
I didn't realize we were calling dibs. I've been working on Morganator's Vaevictus Asmadi deck. I've wanted to take a stab at Primal Surge for a while and I'm enjoying it so far.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2020, 09:44:55 pm »

I've had a bit of a recent Aristocrats/graveyard/sacrifice shenanigans binge recently. I purchased my Alesha deck and proceeded to get tired of how hard it was to assemble an engine without Buried Alive, so I have all these good Aristocrats cards and no deck. Meren is looking good, but I turned my eyes to mono black. Yahenni has been a fantastic member of all of my Aristocrats decks thus far, and I figured I owed both him and CleanBelwas a chance.
Unfortunately, Untap is down, so I'm at a loss for how this compares to more popular generals like Alesha and Meren.

Okay, the stuff I liked/did:
I started off with a lot of voltron components (I kept a couple, but not near as many as I started), but looking back to CleanBelwas's description, he mention nothing about Voltron, just good, clean aristocrats.
So, looking at Yahenni, 2 very good abilities. One loves your opponents' creatures dying, and one loves Yahenni's bros dying.

Some of my first inclusions were the 2 siblings Dictate of Erebos & Grave Pact and Merciless Executioner and its ilk. I am happy to say that I think Mire in Misery has found a fantastic home as enchantment removal in monoblack.

I moved on to Yahenni, noting that he was a vampire and there are a solid few cards like Blade of the Bloodchief & Patron of the Vein that love both vampires and creatures dying, so in they went.

Because Yahenni lacks the draw/recursion engine that the other mono black aristocrat generals Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker & Yawgmoth, Thran Physician both have built in, I opted for creatures like Nether Traitor, Reassembling Skeleton, etc. over Sengir Autocrat, etc. as cards like Reassembling Skeleton + Yahenni create a sac --> recur --> sac --> recur --> repeat engine that lasts for as long as one has mana for it. Sengir Autocrat and its bros provide more up front bodies but require yet another card to recur them.

Note: I did include Abhorrent Overlord because its mono black and my only goal when Untap is back up is to imprint an Abhorrent Overlord on Mimic Vat and maniacally laugh as I fill the skies with harpies.

Me maniacally laughing as my evil plan begins...
*Kaff kaff* Back to the task at hand, Wizard. Stop monologing.
I included Coffers & Urborg because, well, I'm building a non budget mono black deck, so why not?
Slap in some Blood Artist effects, ramp, card draw, all that good stuff, and we have a good mono black Aristocrats deck?
Enjoy.
https://deckstats.net/decks/120669/1589310-cleanbelwas-s-yahenni

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2020, 10:29:44 pm »
Deck looks good dude.

You were right about my build, it did used to be more voltron focused (because that was easier to build cheaply) but over time I've bought and traded in to better mono black and aristocrat synergistic stuff.

A lot of includes here are things I'm looking to include over time too. I'd say your leaning slightly more towards mono black good stuff than hard in to aristocrats but I like it all the same. It's really interesting to see other peoples take on my favourite deck. The things we've done the same and the things we've done differently. Also really interesting to see how much of it is likely down to meta.

For example, I run very little in the way of protection. Yahenni does a good job of protecting itself, but my playgroup are scared of it so they'll darksteel mutation it and stuff like that, so I run a few additional sac outlets to get Yahenni out of trouble.

Really interesting to see your take on it. Looks like you've done a great job with it dude.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2020, 10:53:41 am »
Ok, I've made a Skeleton Ship deck. Here it is:

https://deckstats.net/decks/132604/1589813-skeleton-ship

The details:

This deck is primarily a combo deck. It uses classic Dimir tempo strats to buy itself some time to assemble one of its many combos.

The combos basically all look the same, but the components are interchangeable, which should help with consistency.

The Combos:

Skeleton Ship / Nest of Scarabs / Intruder Alarm
This combo allows us to keep our opponents boards clear of creatures. Tap the ship, put a -1/-1 counter on a creature, create a scarab from the nest, untap the ship thanks to intruder alarm, repeat.

Skeleton Ship / Sac Outlet / Untapper / Undying Creature
Undying creatures seem like a fun combo piece in this deck. How this combo looks to win will depend entirely on which of the cards you draw for each category. Some of the combos require specific components. For example, if your untapper is Freed from the Real or Pemmin's Aura, the sac outlet needs to be Phyrexian Altar. However, if we have Intruder Alarm (which is a real big player in this deck) we can do all sorts of shenanigans.
Mill people with Altar of Dementia, make an arbitrarily large Fallen Angel (which is such a good card in a really boring way. Add in a whispersilk cloak for good measure). With Mikaeus out, we can use our utility creatures like Baleful Strix or Mulldrifter to draw our entire deck, or Ravenous Chupacabra to wipe our opponents boards. We have infinite death triggers for Blood Artist. We can mill or drain folk with Geralf's undying brigade. We've got Mike so we may as well have Trike too.

The combo basically works like this. Have an undying creature. Sac it to the outlet. It comes back with a +1/+1 counter on it. Remove it by putting a -1/-1 counter on it with Skeleton Ship. Then either untap Skeleton Ship with the mana from the altar you used to sac and the aura, or repeat the process to untap the ship with intruder alarm.

Other notable includes
Conqueror's Galleon // Conqueror's Foothold - It's another ship, which is always good. Plus it's flipped land is just good utility. It's also one of the few ways Dimir has of getting enchantments back from the graveyard, and we want our intruder alarm to stick around.

Baleful Strix - I'll put my favourite little psychedelic owl in every goddam dimir deck I ever build and no one can stop me.

Greed - It's not important in this deck. It's just really good and I like singing it's praises. If you play a lot of black decks, pick up a copy. You won't regret it.

Nest of Scarabs - Obviously really good in this deck. I built the golgari -1/-1 counter deck back in Amonkhet when I got back into Magic after a few years off and it made me fall in love with Magic all over again. I always like it when cards from that era are actually good in decks. Amonkhet was not a great block (apart from Hazoret and Scarab God), but it will always be one of my favourites.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 10:57:10 am by CleanBelwas »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2020, 01:12:44 pm »
I will have fun with Doran, the Siege Tower
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2020, 01:22:21 pm »
Wow you guys are fast. CleanBelwas, I didn't actually think there were any infinite combos that use the Spooky Ship. Well done for breaking the card, this might actually be a deck that I copy from you because I love Intruder Alarm. It's a gift that keeps giving. Boney Ship best.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2020, 01:33:35 pm »
Wow you guys are fast. CleanBelwas, I didn't actually think there were any infinite combos that use the Spooky Ship. Well done for breaking the card, this might actually be a deck that I copy from you because I love Intruder Alarm. It's a gift that keeps giving. Boney Ship best.

Haha thanks dude, glad you like it. Not gonna lie, I'm tempted to build this deck in paper too. I already own pretty much all of the key components and it seems fun while not being too over the top powerful.