deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Admiral Beckett Brass EDH Primer  (Read 2403 times)

Zack Frost

• Decks
Admiral Beckett Brass EDH Primer
« on: March 23, 2020, 03:56:01 am »

Some Things To Keep in Mind
1. This post is NOT SET IN STONE. MTG is an ever-changing game. In all likelihood, there will always be an under construction sign somewhere in this post.
2. I am setting a starting budget of FIFTY DOLLAR for this deck. This means as of the moment this post goes up my personal deck is AT MOST FIFTY DOLLARS.
3.This is a PRIMER, a GUIDE TO A DECK if you will. If you feel there is something I am missing, feel free to comment. If you have something you would rather add, go right ahead, tell me how it goes. I would honestly love to hear your stories.

Admiral Beckett Brass?
Admiral Beckett Brass is a Legendary Human Pirate. She is a 3/3 for a colorless and UBR. This by itself who be pretty lackluster. Fear not, my friends, it doesn’t stop there. She has two pieces of text that will give anyone whiplash when skimming through cards. The first is a “lord” effect that gives all pirates +1/+1, this is nice but you don’t see why until you read her second piece of text. The second one boils down to this: hit ONE player with THREE pirates and at the end of your turn you STEAL their shit.

Now before anyone goes running off to get themselves a copy of her keep in mind these three things:
1. It has to be THREE PIRATES for her ability to activate.
2. It has to be COMBAT DAMAGE DEALT TO A SINGLE ENEMY PLAYER.
3.She has to be ALIVE by the END-PHASE of YOUR TURN for her ability to activate.

As a commander, you have three strategies to work with:
1. Tribal
2. Thievery
3. Treasure
I like to call them the THREE T's.

Pirates Tribal
As the Admiral is a Pirate tribal Commander, she needs a crew of like-minded sea dogs to help her. The Pirate creature-type itself is interesting for many reasons. One of them being that the majority of the 91 cards with it are found in the Ixalan block. Of the 25 not found within that block, only a handful are actually practical. Hell, one them is even banned from the format completely. Luckily enough for us, there are enough pirates with sneaky ways to pass by enemy player's defenses. There are also plenty that assist with the other two strategies. To top it off not only are there spells that are extra better when played with pirates but certain pirates themselves have a lot of synergy. Forerunner of the Coalition into a Lightning-Rig Crew is a nasty combo that starts damaging every other player without even attacking. And a Dire Fleet Neckbreaker with a Dire Fleet Captain makes attacking terrifying for any defender.

Thievery
Some examples of pirates with stealing abilities besides Admiral would be Captivating Crew and Hostage Taker. Flickering these is easy enough, but let us say you can’t. Let’s say the only way you can steal is via the admiral. Pirates have plenty of ways to be unblockable. Departed Deckhand, Storm Fleet Sprinter, and a various amount of other flying or menace pirates gives you plenty of ways.

TREASURE!!!
Blessed be the ones who give lore in-game meaning. Treasure is a token that can be tapped and sacked for one of any color mana. And what self-respecting pirate turns down a chance to plunder some beautiful treasure. With cards like Pitiless Plunderer and Revel in Riches, death was never more lucrative. And cards like Makeshift Munitions and Ruthless Knave give you more options for your money. The cherry on top of this shiny sundae is the Deadeye Plunderers.

All things said and done, she is not all that versatile. But when played with here fellow pirates, all should learn to fear her fleet.

Deck List

Deck: Admiral Beckett Brass

Card Explanations:
CREATURES:
  • Angrath's Marauders
    DOUBLES DAMAGE OF ANY SOURCE I CONTROL. THIS INCLUDES INSTANTS, SORCERIES, AND PLANESWALKERS.
  • Captain Lannery Storm
    She creates a treasure token upon attacking and gains power for each treasure sacrificed this turn. This can be manipulated into either a deadly attack or a surprisingly powerful blocker. My personal record with her is 10 damage in one swing, what is yours?
  • Captivating Crew

[Under Construction]
Please come back soon
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 05:04:39 pm by Zack Frost »

Slyvester12

• Decks
Re: Admiral Beckett Brass EDH Primer
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 05:50:45 am »
I appreciate you deciding to make a primer. I hope we keep getting more on this site. That being said, it would help if you linked the deck. Also, I find it's easier to write the first draft in full in a separate word processor like Microsoft Word before posting it. That way, you don't have to raise a dead thread for people to see it.

Good luck with your primer.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Zack Frost

• Decks
Re: Admiral Beckett Brass EDH Primer
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 06:21:46 am »
Oh poop, I will keep the Office Word advice for my next one thanks