deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Good ways to protect one's graveyard?  (Read 448 times)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Good ways to protect one's graveyard?
« on: March 27, 2020, 07:33:46 pm »
I seem to have entered a new deck building phase: abuse the grave. I have no idea what the meta here is except that I hate with Rest in Peace, Tormod's Crypt and Relic of Progenitus (+ sometimes Bojuka Bog if it counts for anything). How do I play against them; how do I protect my own grave from the aforementioned exile effects?
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

KB2MCCLOUD

• Decks
Re: Good ways to protect one's graveyard?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 07:52:36 pm »
Ground Seal! Not the best if you plan on targeting anything in your own graveyard but at least it will be protected  :P

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 07:58:14 pm »
Ground Seal! Not the best if you plan on targeting anything in your own graveyard but at least it will be protected  :P
Looks like a good card but it won't do anything against the three exile pieces I mentioned. :(
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 08:11:10 pm »
Disallow/Stifle type effects that counter the ability. Or an instant speed shuffle effect like Perpetual Timepiece or Elixir of Immortality in response to the exile ability.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 08:34:12 pm »
There isn't a lot of ways to protect your graveyard from getting exiled. I'm pretty sure that is an intentional design seeing how strong graveyard strategies tend to be.

Syr Konrad, the Grim can somewhat deter people from exiling large amounts of creatures, but don't count on it. Teferi's Protection can protect you from Tormod's Crypt, but not Relic of Progenitus or Rest in Peace. There are also old-fashioned counterspells that can stop most of these effects.

After that you can try recovery. Mesmeric Orb will quickly refill your graveyard, and there are other self-mill effects that you can use. Unfortunately these will not help against Rest in Peace.

KB2MCCLOUD

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 08:53:01 pm »
Looks like a good card but it won't do anything against the three exile pieces I mentioned. :(

Shoot! I forgot that world effects don't actually target each individual card.

Disallow/Stifle type effects that counter the ability. Or an instant speed shuffle effect like Perpetual Timepiece or Elixir of Immortality in response to the exile ability.

I think WWolfe hit the nail on the head. Protection would need to be reactive rather than proactive.

Marshstepper78

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 11:01:31 pm »
I agree that it is next to impossible to protect your graveyard effectively. Ground Seal is a cool card, but it does nothing against a Bojuka Bog-effect. It also hoses any attempt to target your own spells in there.

You could always give yourself hexproof with cards like Leyline of Sanctity or Orbs of Warding, but I'm not totally convinced they are worth a slot in the 99 unless graveyard hate is a huge problem in your meta. However, I'm not entirely sure that having hexproof protects you from all forms of graveyard exiling effects.

Vedalken Orrery/Leyline of Anticipation/Alchemist's Refuge/Winding Canyons could help you cast important cards from your graveyard in response to an exiling attempt.

I second the motion that your best bet is to be able to re-fill your graveyard quick enough. I'm lucky that my meta doesn't have a whole lot of graveyard hate so when I play graveyard decks, I don't feel too vulnerable.