deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Companion deck-building challenge  (Read 5123 times)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Re: Companion deck-building challenge
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2020, 11:15:33 am »
Do you know what my favourite thing about Deckstats is? Morganator 2.0.

A huge thank you for putting so much effort into this!
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2020, 02:02:06 pm »
I have now awarded the karma to the winners. Great job everyone for building so many interesting decks, and a very big thank you to Morganator 2.0 for so thoroughly reviewing all of them!

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2020, 02:54:35 pm »
Great job everyone and congratulations to the winners. Thank you Morgantor to a job well done.

My deck was built around the companion and it's restrictions not the partner mechanics. I knew the second I chose Vial Smasher as my commander it instantly should have another partner. Choosing 2 partner commanders defeats the purpose of having to stick within restrictions.
I could have used Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist for card draw and blue. I could have used  Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper and more creature heavy life gain and green. I could have used Ravos, Soultender for recursion, more creatures and white. I could have used Reyhan, Last of the Abzan to with creatures, counters and again have access to green.

There is 13 ways to draw cards or a card in this deck as well. Granted I could have cut down the land base to 37-38 and added more card draw. Stolen Strategy agreed would have been a good inclusion. Discarding any cards to draw cards just leaves gas unused in the graveyard with 0 recursion.

I know Heartless Hidetsugu can also kill me as well. The game ending in a draw is what makes it interesting. It can easily be offset with cards like Bile Urchin, Death Cultist, and et-cetra.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2020, 05:33:41 pm »
Congrats to all the winners and all those that participated!

And a big thanks to Morganator for such a thorough and well done job judging this!
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2020, 05:56:03 pm »
I'm not used to getting this much praise. Careful now, or I might develop a complex.

If someone would at some point like to host their own contest let one of us know. That way we can promote it a bit.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2020, 06:27:32 pm »
If someone would at some point like to host their own contest let one of us know. That way we can promote it a bit.

...we can do that?

Alright, boys, who's up for building the best Praetor deck?

That, or decks using the Weatherlight crew.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 06:29:49 pm by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2020, 07:13:47 pm »
You have no idea the barrel of monkeys you just opened, Morg. No idea.

We probably need a basis for how many competitions we can run at once, though.
Also, if a non mod started a contest, would a mod judge it?

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2020, 07:24:27 pm »

One at a time is usually best. And non-mods can definitely judge. Just keep in mind that judging these things can be time consuming, and it is hard to stick to a deadline sometimes. I tested and went through 20 decks in 6 days. It was a little rough. If you set up a contest, make sure you're up for it.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2020, 07:36:02 pm »
You have no idea the barrel of monkeys you just opened, Morg. No idea.

I would think one at a time would be best so running things by and coordinating with a moderator would be necessary.  I can't imagine not burning out judging extra contests so whoever 'sponsored' the contest would probably be on the hook to run and judge.  Knowing how much work Morganator put into this challenge lets me know that I won't be running one, I had enough problems just getting my submission in.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2020, 08:10:00 pm »
Thank you Morganator for organising this challenge and judging and testing all these decks.

I know my deck is not very original, but it already was there, i didn't even have to change much to get it working with Umori, the collector.

I go looking for more topdeck manipulation, the ones you mentioned are some i did not think/know about. Thank for the tips!

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:12:08 pm by paulusdeboself »

iqs

• Decks
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2020, 11:36:10 pm »
Oh god, you tested the deck more than me Morganator. Glad you liked it this much. Orzhov is my favorite guild so it was awesome to build.

Thank you very much for this contest and all the work you put into it. Looking forward to the next one  ;).

And please feature the contest on the main page again! Wouldn't have known about this otherwise. <3

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2020, 01:30:21 pm »
I agree one contest at a time. I also liked the time when we had everyone voting on the decks. This was the time I roped, I mean I asked morgantor to help out. Basically everyone voted even those who didn't participate in the deck building aspect. You sent a private message to Morgantor with the ranking of the decks you thought were best to worst. Give minor details on the decks as to why this deck was the best and why this deck was the worst. Personally I think the secret voting of sending the private message worked out very well. It gave everyone a chance to judge the decks
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me