deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: FREE XXX Companion  (Read 723 times)

The Green Demon

• Dad runs gaming store. So magic is in my blood.
  • Decks
FREE XXX Companion
« on: April 14, 2020, 09:35:12 am »
FREE XXX Companion

Anyone else having fun with companions? Tomorrow I'm going to proxy it and face an Atrexa opponent, and infect opponent. Throwing it in deepwater.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 10:12:33 am by The Green Demon »
Evolve the mind and the body with follow.

Ryad

• Decks
Re: FREE XXX Companion
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 11:31:08 am »
An X cost deck and you don't include Unbound Flourishing ?

XEVRI

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 11:51:51 am »
@ryad He is using Umori, the Collector  as his companion. Therefore no enchantments ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 11:53:34 am by XEVRI »

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 11:59:31 am »
I feel like Unbound Flourishing alone is enough to make the companion not worth it.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Ryad

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 04:14:22 pm »
@Xevri Does it worth reduce 1 the cost of an X creature when you can double that X value with an enchantment? I'm not sure if it worths.

The Green Demon

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 09:24:33 pm »

EDIT: Read commander incorrectly. Deck is a failure. Upvote Slyvester12 for saving me all that ink from printing.

A COMBO OF SYNERGIES

Combos and synergies : "Creature reduce cost" cards to make {X} cost 0 but still come into play normal aka free XXX and act as back ups of the companions ability.
                                    "Creature cards with {X} in cost to exploit commanders ability comboed with companion ability.
                                     Mana ramp to overpower other synergies since not much mana will be spent in comparison to creatures on battlefield amount.
                                    "creature amount" cards to exploit the commanders ability result.
                                     Pro creature card type cards to exploit the fact the deck is only creatures.
                                     Anti everything other then creature type cards to exploit the fact you will get no cons.
                                    "Proliferate" to exploit the countless counters that are naturally on the majority of creatures via their own ability.
                                     Draw power to combat the free cast {X} cards + low cost {X} cards + mana ramp combo.

COMBO START:             First cast companion to reduce commander cost by 1. A total of 7 mana is needed to have both on field and begin this nightmare unless you happen to draw a very good 
                                     hand. If a "creature reduce cost" card is drawn early cast that instead of companion as the companion is protected in exile and can be used incase drawn card is
                                     shutdown. Prioritize commander and 1 reduce creature cost card to begin the synergies. I will be test playing to see how early of a turn this can be activated via draw.
                                     Semi-infinite combo?

SIDE NOTES:              Mana ramp to begin combo will dictate how fast you become the strongest threat via the beginning of combo as it can begin the 1st turn the combo is
                                     initiated due to singular {X} cost cards would be free cast. With these colors mana ramp should be no issue. Mana should be spent on {x} ONLY with no other
                                     playable cards available. Sideboard on here is not complete. There are 20 cards total in the sideboard which are swapped according to answers for opponents decks.
                                     I would consider this a advanced deck as knowledge of many rulings are needed to understand and that the original go-to gameplay would be to dump all mana into {X}
                                     cost creatures.

"Unbound Flourishing" is not applicable in this deck nor could it compare to the synergy chain or math if it was.
                                      Example: 0 Mana spent to cast 1 singular {X} card during beginning of combo (which there is other reduce creature cost cards in the deck to capitalize on this,
                                      but companion ensures) casts the {X} cost card with a cost equal to the " reduce creature cost by" AND a green Hydra with three +1/+1 counters. And this can be done
                                      infinitely stipulated by your draw of {X} cards which out numbers the potential from "Unbound flourishing" (which needs to be drawn) in all aspects: total amount of
                                      creatures, total power and toughness of all creatures combined and synergies.

Threat achieved. Let's see what else we can break with the companions.

This deck is actually not that expensive. All the money is in the mana really which is always subject to edit.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 02:44:12 am by The Green Demon »

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 01:24:39 am »
I think you might be making a mistake. There are only three creatures in this deck that reduce cost: Centaur Omenreader, Nylea, Keen-Eyed, and Gargos, Vicious Watcher (Goreclaw, Terror of Qal-Sisma can't reduce the cost of most x creatures because they don't count as power 4 until they ETB).

Also, none of those creatures can reduce colored costs. So, even if you have all three out, Protean Hydra would still cost G to cast, but would come in as a 7/7 (assuming Centaur Omenreader was tapped). Now, you can also include Umori, the Collector, but that still only brings the total to four cost reducers.

You also only have six cards that can draw you cards, one of which is Heartwood Storyteller, depending on other players to play noncreature spells, and two of the others draw on ETB, making them single use. The only repeatable sources of card draw you have are Vizier of the Menagerie, Nylea, Keen-Eyed, and Yawgmoth, Thran Physician (but he requires you to sacrifice a creature for every card).

You only have four removal cards, and only one hits artifacts and enchantments.

My point is, far from being broken, this companion is crippling your deck. There isn't an infinite combo in this deck, and I'm not sure what you're calling a "semi-infinite combo." Zaxara, the Exemplary does actually go infinite with certain cards. Freed from the Real and Pemmin's Aura both make infinite colored mana with Zaxara. Umbral Mantle and Sword of the Paruns along with a mana doubler like Mana Reflection or Nyxbloom Ancient go infinite. In fact, there are more ways to go actually infinite with Zaxara than there are currently discount cards in your deck.

In addition to Unbound Flourishing, you could run Doubling Season, Parallel Lives, and even Primal Vigor to double up on counters and hydra tokens.

If this is the way you want to run the deck, that's great, go for it. But, I'd still argue that not running Umori gives access to much better options, especially in Sultai colors.

The Green Demon

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 01:55:37 am »
Your correct on the amount of cards. But the companion acts as a commander for 1 life. You dont draw it. You cast it from exile. You only really need one reduce card cost amount which the companion has from the beginning. the reason is your not flooding the x card with mana other then of course the basic mana that they require, your capitalizing off of free 3/3 hydras and creature count. not one big hydra. There are 5 x cards that i could play for free from the beginning turns if the companion isnt checked and i draw them. The addition and subtraction of x cards cost takes place after you declare your casting it. So you declare your casting a x card 1 and is reduced by one so in return you spent 0 mana for a x card with 1/1 counter or whatever the ability is and a hydra with 3 counters. So if you have the companion or any reduce cost card and the commander on the field you could potentially cast all 5 x cards for free and the result would be 5 1/1's and 5 hydras that are 3/3's plus whatever there abilities are. Now if you happen to pull another reducer then that can make the XX cards free with same result. Any more reducers are just a boost to the counters. The amount of cards via draw power and creature amount on field bonus's are intended. Nearly every card in the deck synergizes with each other so it doesnt really matter what you draw. There is no situationals. They are like boosters, things TO spend mana on since your going to have a field with a TON of creatures early for essentially nothing. even all the other x cards that take a basic land plus x, thats one land to create that creature plus a free 3/3 hydra that will all be profiliated. The x is reduced by the companion to 0. Semi infinite, if you draw correctly. Or I guess a better way to explain would be you can cast your entire hand. The 2 mana that the commander produces when tapped gives this even more boost. This deck I would not have even designed without that companion considering it begins the game outside of the deck. Imagine if I pulled the double profiliate and all 5 single x cost cards. Whatever turn it was when I had the companion and commander on the field with that hand in 1 turn a wipe would be needed. With the single x cards alone it be over 20 toughness and power in a single turn not counting what you actually spend mana on boosting them to crazy numbers from abilities not dumping the mana in x which the leftover mana would fill after you casted them all. With the companion and commander on the field you can infinitely cast single X cards for free creating 1/1s with abilities and 3/3 hydras as a bonus from the commander. reduce by 2 = even more infinity. Leaving all your mana to put into other cards boosting them. I'll have to take some videos of the explanation its hard to follow with all the rulings. 

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 02:24:26 am »
Again, I think you're making a mistake.

Zaxara says "Whenever you cast a spell with X in its cost, create a 0/0 green Hydra creature token and put X +1/+1 counters on it."

So, why do you keep saying 3/3 hydras? If you have Zaxara and Umori and you cast Shifting Wall for free, X = 1 and you get a 1/1 Shifting Wall and a 1/1 Hydra creature token. You have a few cards that put more counters on things, but I don't think it's "hard to follow with all the rulings."

For another example, if you have Zaxara, Nylea, and Umori and cast Walking Ballista for free, X = 1 and you get a 1/1 Walking Ballista and a 1/1 Hydra creature token.

Let's say you have Zaxara and Umori out and ALL SEVEN cmc 0 cards in hand. At the end of that turn (if you make mana with Zaxara for the two XX creatures), you have seven 1/1s with different names and seven 1/1 Hydra creatures tokens. 14 power in one turn isn't nothing, but 14 1/1s is not exactly a game-winning set up for a Magic Christmas Land hand.

Finally, you don't cast companions from exile. Exile is a zone, like library, graveyard, or command zone. You cast the companion from outside the game (sideboard). That could sometimes be important for rules interactions (Riftsweeper).

The Green Demon

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 02:28:44 am »
I'm so angry. How the hell did I read put 3 +1/+1 counters on the hydras. That destroys the numbers completely. I stand corrected. But seriously how the hell does one read the card that incorrectly. Burning my cards now. Down vote me I need to be punished. The devil is in the details or correctly reading SMH @Slyvester12 sorry if you took any kind of offense. Upvote Syvester12 for saving me a ton of ink!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 02:51:50 am by The Green Demon »

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 02:54:48 am »
Everyone makes mistakes. Now, you can focus your energies on a better companion like Jegantha, the Wellspring.

The Green Demon

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 03:07:30 am »
yass, What do you think about Obosh and some kind of doublestrike cleave double damage combo? If only snapdax was odd. I bet that would have been fun.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 04:00:51 am by The Green Demon »