deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: How much are you willing to spend on a MTG card?  (Read 2404 times)

Slyvester12

• Decks
Re: How much are you willing to spend on a MTG card?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2020, 04:55:09 am »
Move to Japan. Visit card shops. Buy cards with a large difference between listed price and online retailer price.

That's about it. They're not even bad condition. All are light play to near mint except for a couple of the Libraries. The shop I go to has a pack fresh Library of Alexandria for $800, last I saw.

Also, the reason is because Standard and Modern are the go-to here, so commander staples and reserved list go cheap because there's way less demand.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 05:08:08 am by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

ejtee

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2020, 05:19:01 am »
The most expensive card I own is one of the Steam vents expeditions. Most of the expensive cards I own are just lucky pulls.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 05:23:56 am by ejtee »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 01:20:52 pm »
Between 30 and 50 dollars for single cards. Usually it is 10 dollars or less for a card I'll pay. I just can't seem to justify to myself of paying over 50 dollars for a card no matter how good of a card it is
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 01:30:52 pm »
Every. Single. Card? Like, one copy of each card ever? Are we talking like a copy of each printing of each card too?

One copy of each card.  I have one Shivan Dragon.  One Gaea's Cradle.  One Imperial Seal.  One Mox Ruby.  One Black Lotus.  One Timetwister.  One etc.  All in a large box (3 actually) sorted alphabetically.  I build my Commander decks from this collection.  I build my cubes from this collection.  All my duplicates are sitting in trade binders - sorted chronologically. I also have several casual decks made up of my duplicate cards.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 01:47:26 pm »
Every. Single. Card? Like, one copy of each card ever? Are we talking like a copy of each printing of each card too?
One copy of each card.
ApothecaryGeist probably means that for whatever cards they own they have a single copy of it. Am I right? You don't have 20 000 cards in your boxes sitting and waiting?
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 01:51:11 pm »
ApothecaryGeist probably means that for whatever cards they own they have a single copy of it. Am I right? You don't have 20 000 cards in your boxes sitting and waiting?

Nope.  Every card.  20,014 is the current count.  (Ikoria and the corresponding Commander decks cannot be purchased here until May 15.)
Happy Brewing!

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2020, 02:03:02 pm »
Apothecary is my profession.  Geist is ... a shadowy figure.  I either am that, or I want to be.  I'll let you decide ???

So I had my suspicions when you posted this, but finding out that you have one of every card confirms it.

"Apothecary" is just code for "drug-dealer", which is why you want to be known as a shadowy figure.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 02:04:28 pm »

Nope.  Every card.  20,014 is the current count.  (Ikoria and the corresponding Commander decks cannot be purchased here until May 15.)
You took the "collectible" part in the "collectible card game" pretty seriously. You've officially earned respect++ but also I'm going to question your sanity.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2020, 02:49:37 pm »
Apothecary is my profession.  Geist is ... a shadowy figure.  I either am that, or I want to be.  I'll let you decide ???

So I had my suspicions when you posted this, but finding out that you have one of every card confirms it.

"Apothecary" is just code for "drug-dealer", which is why you want to be known as a shadowy figure.

Hahaha.  That is hilarious.  That precise profession would probably be more lucrative than my field.  If I did that, I would likely own a playset of every card.   ;D

You took the "collectible" part in the "collectible card game" pretty seriously. You've officially earned respect++ but also I'm going to question your sanity.

... and rightly so.  I am insanely obsessed with my hobby.  Meticulous task accomplishment is an occupational hazard.
Happy Brewing!

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2020, 05:56:56 pm »
Move to Japan. Visit card shops. Buy cards with a large difference between listed price and online retailer price.

That's about it. They're not even bad condition. All are light play to near mint except for a couple of the Libraries. The shop I go to has a pack fresh Library of Alexandria for $800, last I saw.

Also, the reason is because Standard and Modern are the go-to here, so commander staples and reserved list go cheap because there's way less demand.

Even if it's mainly modern and standard, couldn't they sell those commander cards online for regular price? It doesn't make sense to me why they'd sell to japan residents for half the price instead of the rest of the world for full price.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2020, 06:43:49 pm »
I could explain in detail, but you would need to learn quite a bit about modern Japanese culture. Basically, they're all technologically illiterate and refuse to sell online. Even Hareruya, one of the biggest stores, has online purchase but requires in-store pickup.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Caveman Clay

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2020, 12:11:55 am »
100.00 for a card on the reserved.  and I've spent 50 + on a few.  I try and trade for most.  how much do I spend, that's other question. I've been buying the commander decks and a box each sets. three secret lairs.  then there is a case of mystery box this last round. @90 a piece that filled my trade binder.   
Est. MTG player 2018.
Goblins collecting 505

Bardathe111

• The echo of your silence is music to my ears.
  • Decks
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2020, 04:47:29 am »
Most expensive card I bought was a Exploration for 30$, but eventually I want to get a blue Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, and those run for about $150.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:53:26 am by Bardathe111 »

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2020, 07:22:21 pm »
I can justify the $25 for Nicol Bolas, the Ravager // Nicol Bolas, the Arisen but even broken cards like Doubling Season should NOT be that expensive. Sure, your planeswalkers gain twice as much loyalty and putting it in a deck that utilizes +1/+1 counters would break the game, but I would rather try to get lucky, not buy just the one card for $70.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

BoBWiz

• Decks
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2020, 12:20:04 pm »
Hi everybody,

I guess the most expensive card I got (stable in value) is a foil basic island from unstable. ~ 60€
There are a lot of cards in my collection around 15 - 25€ (Karakas, Ulamog, Kalitas, phyrexian obligator, Sheoldred, Zacama, and so on ...)

Usually I pay up to 10€ for a single card (exept for fetchlands - they are more expensive). Cause I don't play cEDH I often need a playset. More than 10€ each card is too expensive for me.
These days I collect the fetch n shocks I need.

regards