deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Zaxara, the Exemplary / Hydra Tribal - Comments  (Read 1047 times)

Comment Bot

Zaxara, the Exemplary / Hydra Tribal - Comments
« on: May 27, 2020, 05:36:07 pm »
Zaxara, the Exemplary / Hydra Tribal

This topic has been created automatically to discuss this deck.
Dieses Thema wurde automatisch erstellt, um dieses Deck zu diskutieren.

flixflx

• Decks
Re: Zaxara, the Exemplary / Hydra Tribal - Comments
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 05:36:07 pm »

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 12:00:14 am »
Hmm.. first thing that catched my eye was Reclamation Sage. I don't really like removal like that. It's slow and with your deck you can't abuse it. Stuff like Return to Nature, Nature's Claim or even Seal of Primordium would do a better job, without crashing the budget. ;)

The next thing I would change is the land base. My common mantra here: "If it always enters tapped, it needs to have a significant effect". The point behind this is, that every land that enters tapped means, that you pay 1 mana for the etb effect and the land itself, since you can't use it that turn. we can argue about scry lands or bounce lands with the given budget, but the life lands like Dismal Backwater? I think if you really need them for color fixing, you should add some more other cards for ramp/fixing. that makes the deck smoother to play.

hmm.. at a closer look, it would be good to shapen the deck idea a little. For example Propaganda. It's a nice card without any question, but in your deck, a single control piece feels a little lost. Better add Soul-Guide Lantern in stead. Having some grave hate is always useful, and even if you don't need it that way, you can still sacrifice it for a card draw.
Dredge the Mire could be replaced with Phyrexian Reclamation. You "just" get the cars back onto your hand, but its reusable, works with your x creatures and you don't run into the risk that your opponents get a bigger advantage than you.

Btw, for the x spells, you've forgotten something valuable: Nylea's Intervention. Add it and Reliquary tower to your deck. Then play the intervention for a x as high as possible, get the tower besides other lands and play it afterwards. this way you've got secured land drops for the next turns, a higher chance to draw non-land cards and, if you got your commander out, another x token as bonus.

If you've got a little money to spend, Courser of Kruphix could be interesting to secure your land drops. with the x spells you want much mana on the table, and you want this as fast as possible. Hmm..  thinking about this.. add some more cheap mana ramp like Rampant Growth or Nature's Lore.

Aaaaannd I've just got another idea: what about Simic Ascendancy as win con? with your x spells and your commander, it shouldn't be that hard to get the 20 counters.

/edit: mir ist zum schluss erst der deutsche kommentar aufgefallen. sofern dir das lieber ist können wir auch gerne auf deutsch weiter diskutieren, ich bins englisch im magic context jedoch eher gewohnt. ;)
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

flixflx

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 12:29:10 pm »
Many thanks for your advices. Yes, I need to work on the manabase. I just copied it from the Otrimi precon deck as it is my first self-brew EHD/Commander Deck. Should I add some more creatures that tap for mana?

I had Nylea's Intervention in it but I dropped it. But with the Reliquary tower it makes more scene. Phyrexian Reclamation is a nice replacement for Dredge the Mire. I was looking for one like this.

Simic Ascendancy: It was one of my first choices but, as I don't play any competitive mtg (ATM), I don't want to loose my friends to this^^. Same with Triumph of the Hordes.

What do you think about the balance between Creatures and Spell? I started with the idea of an Xspell deck but ended up with the hydra tribal.

Let's stick with English as more people can participate at the discussion. :D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 02:14:41 pm by flixflx »

d4sy92120

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 06:15:58 pm »
Nice hydra Tribal! You can add Doubling Season!

flixflx

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 08:31:56 pm »
Thank! Doubling Season is out of budget ATM. Let's see what double masters brings.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 09:08:35 pm »
@d4sy92120 Doubling season would work fine, yes, but it's out of budget compared to the rest of the deck.

Hmm.. about your mana base: I think the most important thing is that you're able to play your commander at turn 4, better already at turn 3. So it would be good to have some more cheap mana ramp/fixing.
- Ash Barrens: Compared to Evolving Wilds, I think Ash is better after turn 1. for both you pay 1 mana, but you can play Ash just as another colorless land later on, if you've got enough colored mana.
- Rampant Growth: you just get 1 land out of it, but the jump from 2 to 3 mana is a little more important than 3 to 4. besides that, it allows you to fetch your missing color.
- Fellwar Stone: Same as Exotic Orchard but as artifact. You're a little dependant on your opponents, but in a multiplayer game, this shouldn't be a that big disadvantage.
- Nature's Lore: until now, you're just able to draw basic forests with it, but if you upgrade your mana base in the future, it also works with cards like Overgrown Tomb. For the more afordable battle lands like  Canopy Vista, you've got the wrong color combination, in order to tutor with Nature's Lore for them.
- Llanowar Elves and Elvish Mystic: Those two only tap for G, but they can be played at turn 1, and help you getting some more mana for X spells.

Since you'll need some space, some cards I would cut:
Cold-Eyed Selkie: he's fine, but to be efficient, he's better in a deck where you can push him.
Shriekmaw: I think he's a bad removal unless you've got a graveyard focused deck, which allows you to abuse him
Illusory Ambusher: Interesting idea, but the problem is that you usually have to keep 5 mana open and wait for your opponents to attack
Kiora's Follower: He "just" allows you to get 2 more mana, unless I've missed something, since you can't unap him. The other 2 endless mana Cards can also be applied to your commander directly for infinite mana
Yavimaya Dryad: Rampant Growth does the same and is cheaper.
Urborg Elf: 2 mana elf, but provides you all colors you'll need

Since your gameplan includes much big creatures, you could also add some other draw spells:
Life's Legacy
Return of the Wildspeaker
Rishkar's Expertise
Soul's Majesty
Hunter's Insight (important here: choose also works on creatures with hexproof/shroud)
Snake Umbra

About Simic Ascendancy: It's a wincon, yes, but nothing that says "I win now". First of all you'll need to get 20 counters which means 22+x available mana if you want to play and fill it at once, and even then, you win at your next upkeep. This means your opponents still got a turn to solve this problem. So thats, at least for me, fine for a kitchen table round.
Besides that, you've got no tutors, so you can't even rely on getting your hands on it. ;)

Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner could also be replaced with Colossal Majesty. You can't use it for untapping creatures, but it's a little harder to remove.

What also catches my eye while looking for cards was Lifeblood Hydra. It may be a little expensive, but could be very interesting, since it's a X creature and also provides alot of card draw and life.

Brawn may also be interesting, if your group lacks grave hate.

flixflx

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 12:42:55 pm »
What do you thinks of the latest changes I made? I'm a bit over the budget.

Revision 7

Added/removed cards:
-1 Cryptic Trilobite
-1 Endless Sands
-1 Shriekmaw
+1 Incubation Druid
+1 Karn's Bastion
+1 Llanowar Elves
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 01:21:51 pm by flixflx »

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 02:34:25 pm »
Hey, I've just checked.

Cutting Putrefy hurts a little, but I'm fine with the other changes. The deck should work better now.

flixflx

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 03:27:33 pm »
I wasn't sure if I should drop Propaganda or Putrefy for Soul-Guide Lantern.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 03:30:19 pm »

Instead of droping something for Soul-Guide Lantern you could drop one Swamp for Bojuka Bog.

If you want another flexible (sadly, quite expensive - manawise) removal I recommend Casualties of War.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 03:45:54 pm by Akira Foxmind »
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 10:11:18 pm »

Instead of droping something for Soul-Guide Lantern you could drop one Swamp for Bojuka Bog.

Why the hell should you play bojuka bog? it's a bad land and a bad grave hate. a mono colored land that enters tapped is very bad, and a grave hate that only works on sorcery speed is often to slow, if someones graveyard troubles you.
the lantern on the other hand exiles a single card on sorcery speed, is able to clear all opponents graveyard on instant speed AND can still be sacrificed for a card draw, in case you're drawing it in a game where grave hate isn't interesting to play.

About Casualties of War, I agree with you. It's nice because its very flexible, but you pay a high price for flexability. Besides that, it only works on sorcery speed. So I prefere something cheaper and faster (even if not that flexible).

About Propaganda: that's a meta question. if your opponents usually tend to tap out or like go wide strategies (attacking with many creatures), propaganda is very useful. but if you're often facing combo and/or voltron decks, the tax usually doesn't make a big difference.

flixflx

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 11:00:58 pm »

Revision 10

Added/removed cards:
+1 Curse of the Swine

Changed amounts:
-1 (Main) +1 (SB) Propaganda

flixflx

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 07:05:55 pm »
Just changed it to this, because the ordered cards aren'r here yet.

Revision 19

Added/removed cards:
+1 Endless Sands
+1 Gaze of Granite
+1 Ur-Golem's Eye

Changed amounts:
-1 (Main) +1 (SB) Krosan Grip
-1 (Main) +1 (SB) Lifeblood Hydra
-1 (Main) +1 (SB) Reliquary Tower
+1 (Main) -1 (SB) Simic Ascendancy
-1 (Main) +1 (SB) Snake Umbra