deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Nethroi, Mutate Madness  (Read 526 times)

Morale

• Decks
Nethroi, Mutate Madness
« on: June 06, 2020, 11:06:35 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/154223/1662447-nethroi-mutate-madness

The idea is pretty simple. make big guys and trigger mutate abilities.

things i need to make it better.

More, better, mutate cards - i only have around 12 mutates in here. the other cards i have access to with mutate just dont fit well in the deck. im hurting the most on white cards.

Hexproof - i have a mirror shield in here to get hexproof. i need more creatures with hexproof as an ability so i can mutate ontop of that.

lands - my land base could be better. im not sure how.. but it can always be better.

let me know what you think. any advise is always appriciated!

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: Nethroi, Mutate Madness
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 11:37:51 pm »

More, better, mutate cards - i only have around 12 mutates in here. the other cards i have access to with mutate just dont fit well in the deck. im hurting the most on white cards.

No.  You're not hurting for white mutate cards.  There are only 4.  You have them all except Cubwarden.  It only makes 1/1 lifelink Cat tokens.  There's also the black/white Necropanther.  You have that too.  And then there's your commander.  No other white mutate cards available.
Happy Brewing!
:)

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 12:00:43 am »

Hexproof - i have a mirror shield in here to get hexproof. i need more creatures with hexproof as an ability so i can mutate ontop of that.

Sigarda, Host of Herons and Shalai, Voice of Plenty are good creatures with hexproof.

lands - my land base could be better. im not sure how.. but it can always be better.  "Land base", or rather "mana base", isn't just about your lands.  It is your lands and your ramp spells.  You generally want around 8 ramp spells.  Sometimes more.  More is never bad.  Things like - Sol Ring, Arcane Signet, Golgari Signet, Orzhov Signet, Selesnya Signet, all the Talismen (I don't know their names off the top of my head), Fellwar Stone, Kodama's Reach, Cultivate, Rampant Growth, Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Avacyn's Pilgrim.  Some of these mana dorks could also become mutate targets later in the game.

Once you've got enough ramp that also color fixes (like Rampant Growth, Birds of Paradise, signets, talismen), then you don't need lands the enter the battlefield tapped.  Use Command Tower, Exotic Orchard, painlands, checklands, anything that doesn't enter tapped.  Just a boat-load of basics is fine if that's all you've got.  Tainted lands are also good for colors with black.  If you have to (or want to) use tap lands, make sure the ability is beneficial to your deck.  I don't mind the temples, as I thing 'scry 1' can be powerful, especially if you don't have a lot of card draw in your deck.  But 'gain 1 life' is almost meaningless in Commander.

Upon looking at your deck.  You definitely need more ramp.  In addition to that, I would remove Altar of the Pantheon and Nyx LotusNyx Lotus costs 4 mana and cares about your devotion to a single color.  When you mutate, you only have the devotion of the card on top.  Assume your devotion isn't going to be very high at any given point.  Swap this out for some of the cheaper ramp.  Once that is out, I saw only one other card that cares about devotion.  Again, go with some more efficient ramp.

Hope this all helps.
Happy Brewing!

Morale

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 01:26:51 am »
made some changes. let me know what you think.
i might go in and change some lands around to get rid of tap lands.
Im hesitant on removing many of them, because the flexibility of the two type lands is nice when you have a hard time getting out all of your commander colors. ill play around with it.

Ive taken what i can. ill have to do another search of my library, but this seems to be the best i can do for ramp right now. any singles i buy will take at least a month to get to me due to being deployed. but ill get there!

Removed
- Elspeth Conquers Death
- Altar of the Pantheon
- Nyx Lotus
- Renata, Called To the Hunt
- Void Beckoner
- Karametra's Blessing
- Minion's Return

Added
- Silent Arbiter              I tend to put menace on my big creatures. this would essentially make my biggest guy unblockable
- Mindleecher                its a flyer which is nice, and also gives me cards to play from exile
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier    tutor
- Gaze of Granite           i needed something to board wipe
- Deadly Tempest          board wipe
- Arcane Signet             ramp
- Bonder's Ornament     more mana
- Sol Ring                     some more ramp

Morale

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 05:24:19 am »
Another question.

Can lurrus of the dream-den play finale of devastation? its CMC is 2, but im not sure if lurrus of the dream-den's effect forces me to only play two to play the card from the graveyard

If i can pay the X cost for finale of devastation.. that would be quite the combo

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 05:34:08 am »
Lurrus of the Dream-Den says that you may play a PERMANENT spell ... Finale of Devastation is not a permanent spell (everything except instant and sorcery).

But to fully answer the question, if you were to cast a permanent like Stonecoil Serpent from your graveyard using Lurrus, you wuold calculate the converted mana cost using the value you intend to use for X, so you could cast Stonecoil Serpent for 2, 1, or 0.  But nothing bigger.
Happy Brewing!

Morale

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 05:46:48 am »
Lurrus of the Dream-Den says that you may play a PERMANENT spell ... Finale of Devastation is not a permanent spell (everything except instant and sorcery).

But to fully answer the question, if you were to cast a permanent like Stonecoil Serpent from your graveyard using Lurrus, you wuold calculate the converted mana cost using the value you intend to use for X, so you could cast Stonecoil Serpent for 2, 1, or 0.  But nothing bigger.

ah, i missed the "permanent' part

Morale

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 02:53:24 am »