deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Ezuri, Renegade Leader | A Collaborative Primer  (Read 3914 times)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Ezuri, Renegade Leader | A Collaborative Primer
« on: June 08, 2020, 05:16:51 pm »

Hello, wonderful forum people and welcome to our Ezuri, Renegade Leader Primer. We are WizardSpartan and Slyvester12, and we. love. Ezuri. Our primer is unique in that we have composed 2 different decklists, each with its own unique flair.

Wizard’s Ezuri is a more combat focused deck, intent on looking to generate large amounts of non-infinite mana, get a large field, and pump the team to win.

Sly’s primer is purely a combo deck. Using cards like Umbral Mantle, his deck generates infinite mana and one shots his opponents in one go. There are certain advantages to each, and we detail everything you aspiring Ezuri players might want to know in our own decklists.

While our two decklists are in this one post, we do keep mostly independent. The only thing we try to share is notable exclusions. If one of us plays a card the other doesn’t, we try to explain why that card doesn’t fit within our specific list.

We hope you liked our unique perspectives on this awesome commander! If you have any questions about Ezuri, any at all, please ask. At least 1 of us should be on to answer your question relatively quickly. If you found our lists useful, make sure to give a like and check back in to see our updates for new sets, etc. Thanks!

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Ezuri, Renegade Leader | A Collaborative Primer
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 01:17:30 am »
I have been impatiently waiting for this. I glad to finally see the result. This should become the one-stop spot for all things Ezuri, Renegade Leader related. You've both worked hard, and it has paid off. Well done.

As always, I do have a few questions I'd like to ask. Be sure to include the answers to these questions in the primer somehow.

Questions for both of you

Is it ever worth it to level up Joraga Treespeaker to level 5, or is it better to just spend that mana elsewhere?

You've both included things to protect from blue decks (Veil of Summer, Defense Grid). Would you say that you have a average amount of blue decks in your meta? If not, would you suggest that readers also use Gaea's Herald and City of Solitude for protection?

Questions for WizardSpartan

What is the advantage to using Eternal Witness over Regrowth, and is that still worth the extra mana?

With the low amount of artifacts in the deck, it seems like it would be good to use Collector Ouphe. Winter Orb also wouldn't hurt the deck too much. You even mention that it helps the deck in the "Strengths and Weaknesses" section. There's quite a bit of light stax you could use (just look at Slyvester's list). What are your reasons for excluding them?

On average, how fast does this deck finish games in your meta? What turn do you win on?

Notable exclusions to explain

Heritage Druid: Seems like it would be a good fit.
Nyxbloom Ancient: Making large amounts of non-infinite mana sounds like something Nyxbloom ancient is good for, yet it's not in the deck. Why?
Nyx Lotus: While admittedly not as good as Karametra's Acolyte, it still fills the same roll. Why exclude this one?
Oakhame Adversary: Good early-to-late game card draw, with the bonus of being an elf.
Path of Ancestry: Seems like a good fit in a tribal deck. Is the entering tapped clause too much for this deck?
Vitalize: More late game mana! What's your reason for not using it?

Questions for Slyvester12

The bit here is actually some formatting suggestions. First,

WizardSpartan’s primer on aggro Ezuri can be found below.

It's actually found above yours. Second, the dashes (-) in front of each card in the "WizardSpartan's Includes/Excludes" sections are messing with Deckstat's ability to automatically hyperlink cards. You may want to consider removing them. Third, the links in the conclusion section are now outdated.

Now for the actual questions.

Would you be able to go over some of the more common combos in the deck? I know that this is a layered combo deck, so there are a lot of routes to get infinite mana, but I think it's important to go over a few of the common ways to win. Especially Cloudstone combos, because those aren't always obvious.

Notable exclusions to explain

Carpet of Flowers: The exclusion of this card still confuses me, despite your reasoning in the primer. It seems like its better than most of your 1 mana ramp, including Utopia Sprawl, which is also an enchantment that doesn't draw you cards. Wouldn't it be worth swapping out Utopia Sprawl for Carpet of Flowers?
Cavern of Souls: Protecting your elves seems good. Is not being a forest a strong drawback?
Heritage Druid: Same as WizardSpartan. Seems like she would be a good fit.
Karametra's Acolyte: Yet another card that can go infinite with Umbral Mantle & co. Why did you choose to keep it out?
Oakhame Adversary: A new green staple in more competitive games. It's low-cost repeatable card draw (very rarely blocked). And as a bonus it's an elf.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 02:30:02 am »
You've both included things to protect from blue decks (Veil of Summer, Defense Grid). Would you say that you have a average amount of blue decks in your meta? If not, would you suggest that readers also use Gaea's Herald and City of Solitude for protection?
I choose not to discuss my meta specifically outside of why I choose to include certain cards (like Veil of Summer) because that doesn't help the reader. Instead, I mention cards I don't include as options if a potential Ezuri player feels they might be warranted in their playgroup. I actually do discuss Gaea's Herald, but I don't think City of Solitude should even warrant a mention.

On average, how fast does this deck finish games in your meta? What turn do you win on?
I have a section discussing what a typical game looks like, which should tell the reader what turn my deck starting to look to win on.

I went ahead and answered all your other questions in my primer so people won't have to dig through comments for answers to similar questions.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 06:58:11 am »
Alright, I believe I have fixed the formatting, and I added the cards you mentioned to Notable Exclusions, as well as two sections before the conclusion titled Common Combo Routes and Budget Lists. If you (or anyone else) have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 07:04:26 am by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 02:46:03 am »
Just to let people know, I will be adding a section to the changelog of my primer every time a new set is released (starting with Zendikar Rising) discussing what cards caught my eye at first glance and which cards I ultimately decided to add. As always, if you have a question or want my opinion on a card I didn't mention in the changelog, feel free to ask!

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 08:07:23 pm »
I added a "Newest Set" section to my list to discuss possible inclusions from the newest release. I probably won't keep a running changelog in favor of just adding anything particularly good to the main list or Notable Exclusions, though I could change that plan if requested.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.