deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: looking for suggestions for my Nethroi, Apex of Death  (Read 411 times)

Shade277

• Decks
looking for suggestions for my Nethroi, Apex of Death
« on: June 18, 2020, 11:04:55 pm »
I have been playing this deck online with a small group of friends and it has been doing pretty well but that is probably because our meta is a little weaker than average so I would like some suggestions for when I buy this deck. I am mainly looking for suggestions to replace craterhoof behemoth as he is very expensive. Any suggestions would be very apricated through

https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php?action=post;board=27.0

/6 Artifact
1 Arcane Signet
1 Indatha Crystal
1 Lifecrafter's Bestiary
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Sol Ring
1 The Great Henge

//34 Creature
1 Acidic Slime
1 Archangel Avacyn // Avacyn, the Purifier
1 Auspicious Starrix
1 Beast Whisperer
1 Boneyard Lurker
1 Chittering Harvester
1 Craterhoof Behemoth
1 Cubwarden
1 Dirge Bat
1 Eternal Witness
1 Fauna Shaman
1 Fleecemane Lion
1 Glowstone Recluse
1 Golgari Grave-Troll
1 Hornet Queen
1 Loxodon Hierarch
1 Luminous Broodmoth
1 Migratory Greathorn
1 Mindleecher
1 Nethroi, Apex of Death
1 Polukranos, Unchained
1 Protean Hulk
1 Rampaging Baloths
1 Ravenous Chupacabra
1 Razaketh, the Foulblooded
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Skull Prophet
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
1 Underrealm Lich
1 Viridian Emissary
1 World Shaper

//4 Enchantment
1 Deadbridge Chant
1 Deathreap Ritual
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Vampiric Rites

//5 Instant
1 Deadly Rollick
1 Golgari Charm
1 Mythos of Nethroi
1 Putrefy
1 Swords to Plowshares

//37 Land
1 Bonders' Enclave
1 Bountiful Promenade
1 Command Tower
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Exotic Orchard
5 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Golgari Rot Farm
1 Grasslands
1 Grim Backwoods
1 Indatha Triome
1 Isolated Chapel
1 Orzhov Basilica
1 Overgrown Tomb
4 Plains
1 Sandsteppe Citadel
1 Selesnya Sanctuary
1 Sunpetal Grove
5 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
1 Temple of Malady
1 Temple of Plenty
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Vault of the Archangel
1 Westvale Abbey // Ormendahl, Profane Prince
1 Woodland Cemetery

//1 Planeswalker
1 Garruk, Primal Hunter

//13 Sorcery
1 Austere Command
1 Cleansing Nova
1 Decree of Pain
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Duneblast
1 Farseek
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Life's Finale
1 Overwhelming Stampede
1 Plague Wind
1 Rampant Growth
1 Rishkar's Expertise
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 11:08:19 pm by Shade277 »

Maxix

• Decks
Re: looking for suggestions for my Nethroi, Apex of Death
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 11:25:49 pm »
Regarding the Craterhoof replcement, both End-Raze Forerunners and Decimator of the Provinces make honorable placeholders!

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 11:31:15 pm »
Hey Shade277, cool deck.

If you're after a budget hoof, End-Raze Forerunners does a pretty good hoof impression and is usually under a pound/dollar/euro.

Not as good as hoof, but not as expensive either and can still get a lot of damage through with a full board.

The addition of vigilance is nice too. Helps protect against blow outs and fogs and stuff so you're not vulnerable on the crack back on case it doesn't quite get the job done.

Whatever you decide, I hope the deck works out and carries on being fun for you.

Edit: Maxix knows what's up!

Morale

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 01:10:29 am »
I am also playing a nethroi deck.

Fertilid - im not sure if you have any mana issues. but fertilid is a great addition, and ill come back as a 2/2 every time you mutate nethroi.
Fiend artisan + lurrus of the dream-den + alseid of Life's bounty - this combo here will give you unlimited creature tutors. grab your fiend artisan,  bring out lurrusof the dream-den, next bring out alseid of life's bounty. use alseid of life's bounty as your sacrifice target and just bring him back for 1 mana every turn. OR! if you dont need to tutor out a creature, keep him around (or bring him back) as protection for one of your mutate stacks!

Fiend artisan could supplement or even replace Razaketh, the Foulblooded. Razaketh searches for "a card" which is great, but he hurts you and costs a lot. instead..

Sidisi, Undead Vizier + Boneyard Lurker - These two cards are great together. tutor out sidisi. target sidisi as the "exploit" creature and get your card. then mutate boneyard lurker to get sidisi back to your hand (or mutate nethroi to get sidisi back. every time Sidisi enters the battlefield you can exploit him for a card)

Gemrazer - 4 cost for a 4/4 with reach and trample. plus whenever you mutate him you can kill off an artifact or enchantment! you need this card in there.

Vulpikeet - a 3 cost mutate that gives you +1/+1 counters on mutate, and flying. i love starting a mutate stack with this guy.

Kaheera, the orphanguard - 3 mana for a 3/2 with vigilance, plus he gives all of your baddies (most of your cards are going to be affected by him) vigilance and +1/+1.

Sawtusk demolisher - 6 mana (or mutate for 4 mana) for a 6/6 with trample and removal. id rather give an opponent a 3/3 token than deal with a lot of enchantments (or kill their land if youre a jerk)

Necropanther  - bring back your dead! i normally use him to bring back lurrus of the dream-den if he gets killed off early.

shadowspear - give a big dude lifelink and tample and +1/+1, also will let you take out pesky indestructible creatures

The ozolith - keep all those counters and use them again! i love this card. pair it with a hydra's growth.

Silent arbiter - this card can make a game just.. not fun. but it can win the game for you if played at the right time. its very easy with mutate to get your commander to be essentially unblockable. if you just mutate nethroi ontop of something with menace.. he will turn into a problem real fast.

My favorite is putting Polukranos, unchained + Cavern Whisperer + nethroi, apex of death together. this will make your nethroi an 11/11 and unblockable (if you have silent arbiter out). even without silent arbiter, it makes nethroi essentially immune to deathtouch for a few turns at least.

Mirror shield would also give you more hexproof for your mutates as well, and make it immune to deathtouch.

Maxix

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 01:12:40 am »
Re,

Got a little more time to search a bit deeper so here are other suggestions:

If I understand yourdeck correctly, it seems that you want to keep the deck "fair", that is popping Nethroi and trying to mutate it a bunch of times.

I think Gemrazer is one of the cheapest green cards to mutate and brings good utility, so it could replace the Reclamation sage or another more expensive mutate creature.

Fertilid ramps you a bit and is free to reanimate with Nethroi (0 power).

Finally, Living death is a bit more "IRL expensive" but can win you some games alone !

Here are my 2 cents, hope you have fun with the deck !

Edit: Morale got me for Fertilid and Gemrazer, well played

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:15:01 am by Maxix »