deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: tayam 15€ - Comments  (Read 450 times)

Comment Bot

tayam 15€ - Comments
« on: July 19, 2020, 02:22:06 pm »
tayam 15€

This topic has been created automatically to discuss this deck.
Dieses Thema wurde automatisch erstellt, um dieses Deck zu diskutieren.

Megamite

• Decks
Re: tayam 15€ - Comments
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 02:22:06 pm »
Heyo. We played on untap yesterday, thanks again for sharing the list with me.

Found Obsessive Skinner while trying to strengthen the +1 counter theme in my build. Seems pretty strong, as it can get back 2/3 counters immediately. It can also generate a counter on everyone else's turn, kinda like Wall of Roots.

HeyMagic

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 07:01:55 pm »
Yeah, that seems nice. I will board it in!

I removed all the aristocrat's subtheme for more +1+1 synergies as well!

Megamite

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 07:41:24 pm »
That makes sense. Early on I was feeling those effects, but realized that the deck didn't have many sacrifice outlets. It's unfortunate that all the "draw when x dies" stuff proved inconsistent, considering I own a lot of those effects already.

I kept the sac outlets though, as they're still valuable for reusing your creatures with Tayam. Carrion Feeder and Bloodflow Connoisseur gaining counters is appreciated, while Izoni ties in nicely with all the creatures and mill.

What are your thoughts on cutting out some of the self-mill cards to strengthen the counters theme? It seems to me like shifting to a deck like Ravos + Reyhan and using Tayam for recursion/card advantage would be strong. I already cut Nyx Weaver from my list in pursuit of this concept.

Megamite

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 07:43:47 pm »
From testing it felt kinda rough to get the requisite amount of counters. Once the ball gets rolling however Tayam is very strong.

Feels like the main problem is some of the value things like Plaguecrafter don't generate counters on their own.

HeyMagic

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 10:56:20 pm »
I'm unsure which self-mill card you are referring to? I guess you are right about the conditional card advantage. The problem is basically, how can we draw cards with a permanent of CMC 3 or less. Do you have something better in mind then the leaves-the-battlefield trigger?

Some value things are definitely up to discussion. But is there better removal with counters?

For the start, you could play stuff like Phantom Nantuko, Grismold, the Dreadsower, Curse of Predation, The First Iroan Games.

HeyMagic

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 11:00:13 pm »
There is a new version of the deck available :-)

Megamite

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 11:12:17 am »
I was referring to self-mill in general, there wasn't a specific card I was thinking was worth cutting. My thought was that each self mill card eats into slots that could be strengthening the +1 counter theme, and slow down getting Tayam rolling as a consequence.

Generating card advantage with permanents that are 3 CMC or less isn't too hard. There are plenty of cards like Wall of Blossoms, Elvish Visionary, etc. Tayam's ability is also a source of card advantage/ramp, as it either puts cards onto the battlefield without spending any of your resources in hand, or puts more than 1 land per turn into play.

I don't think there's better removal than stuff you can return with Tayam's ability, no. If you can consistently pay for Tayam's ability, then you can even use those effects at instant speed. This very much feels like a synergy deck, where you want to squeeze as much value as possible out of each deck slot.

I'm not very high on effects like Phantom Nantuko or Oathsworn Knight personally. My concern is that since you'll want to eat their counters with Tayam eventually, you're wasting an activation to put them into play, instead of just returning something else. Grismold would be interesting if you could control tokens dying more efficiently, but I think it's better off in Slimefoot decks, or being a commander. Curse of Predation and The First Iroan Games both seem phenomenal however. Curse combos nicely with Tayam giving everything else Vigilance, while I'm pretty high on Sagas in decks that can recycle them.

Apologies for late reply. Deckstats notifications unfortunately don't mention when someone else comments on a thread, unless there's a way to mark threads for notifications that I missed.

Megamite

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 11:23:23 am »
Stumbled across Cryptic Trilobite while perusing my precon bulk for good additions. It seems like it can get pretty nasty in this deck, once the "extra +1 counter" synergies are online. It also helps that it adds a bunch of mana for Tayam.