deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Stack Question  (Read 1062 times)

Sgtlightbrite

• Decks
Stack Question
« on: October 11, 2014, 06:57:37 pm »
This occurred in a recent casual magic game and I was curious of the correct ruling....

Player 1 taps two forest to cast a creature spell

In response; Player 2 taps his Tidal Warrior to use it's activated ability and turn one of the lands into an island.

The actions go on the stack. What type of mana is produced?

1 blue & 1 green?

or

2 green?

Yuwaki

• Decks
Re: Stack Question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 07:07:57 pm »
Player 1 will get 2 green mana, because Lands don´t use the stack.
The time player 2 taps his tidal warrior is the green mana already in player 1´s mana pool.

AeroSigma

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 04:13:22 pm »
Mikuyume is right, mana abilities don't use the stack. (this goes for any ability the only generates mana, e.g. llanowar elfs, not just lands)

You might also want to note that a player can (and usually does in tournament play) tap the land during the casting of the spell, so you would only be able to respond after the spell is on the stack, not before.

Sgtlightbrite

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 02:28:29 pm »
Mikuyume is right, mana abilities don't use the stack. (this goes for any ability the only generates mana, e.g. llanowar elfs, not just lands)

How does this work in regards to other activated abilities. For example:I tap my Lightning Crafter to deal three damage to a creature. In response, my Lightning Crafter gets targeted by Lightning Bolt. Do both effects go on the stack and both die? or does the crafter die first and prevent the other damage effect?

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 04:27:54 pm »
You tap Lightning Crafter, placing its ability on the stack. In response, your opponent casts Lightning Bolt, placing it on the stack above the ability from Lightning Crafter. Last in first out: Lightning Bolt resolves, dealing three damage to Lightning Crafter, which dies due to state based effects. Next is the ability from Lightning Crafter, which resolves and deals three damage to the creature you targeted.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
https://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx