deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: How do you feel about foreign language cards?  (Read 1451 times)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
How do you feel about foreign language cards?
« on: August 30, 2020, 09:05:17 am »
I mean, there's not much more to say outside of the subject.

If someone had seemingly random cards in their deck that were in a different language to the rest of their deck, would it bother you? And why/why not?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: How do you feel about foreign language cards?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 09:08:53 am »
As long as they can tell you exactly what the card does accurately then I'm fine with it. But if they have to look it up on Scryfall to be able to tell you then there's a problem.
This space for rent.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 09:49:50 am »
As long as they can tell you exactly what the card does accurately then I'm fine with it. But if they have to look it up on Scryfall to be able to tell you then there's a problem.

I think most of the time players will have the more expensive cards (like Cabal Coffers) in other languages and those should be known by most of the players anyway. At least that is what I experience with the guys I use to play.

To answer the question, I'm okay with opponent's playing cards of languages I don't understand. It's just a game after all. As long as we talk about non-tournament magic, that is.
Tbh I need to scryfall my own cards sometimes. ::)

The question for everyone who doesn't want to play against cards of foreign languages is: what would you prefer? (bad) proxies or cards you don't understand? And what do you do when you realise in the middle of a game that there is a card you don't like? Do you stop the game and give up??
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 09:57:33 am by Akira Foxmind »
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

T2o

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 12:41:38 pm »
I (as a French speaking person in a French speaking country) own the vast majority of my cards in English as I consume mostly English speaking mtg contents. I never met somebody who was bothered by that, but I make sure to be able to translate correctly the card rules on French if needed.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 02:57:43 pm »
In actual constructed formats, the person playing the cards technically doesn't need to know exactly what it does. If you don't believe that the card does what the player says it does, you call a judge and they give the oracle text (I'm pretty sure this is true, tell me if I'm wrong, I don't play non-Commander much at all).

In Commander, as long as somebody either knows exactly what the card does or its an iconic card that everybody knows, I'm perfectly fine with it. In fact, I probably have the most non-English cards in my decks out of everyone in my playgroup.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 03:27:38 pm »
Since I, until very recently, lived in Japan, I have a lot of Japanese cards. Most of my expensive cards are English, but I have a few (Mana Drain, Yawgmoth's Will, etc...) in Japanese. People haven't said anything, but I can usually recite the card text from memory.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 04:00:22 pm »
I've had a smattering of foreign language cards in my decks for decades and its rare that anyone has even noticed but when someone has, the response has usually been 'that's cool' and the games goes on.  There probably wasn't too much issue then because there weren't a lot of variant art versions, etc. plus the text boxes had less in them back then so it was easier to be sure exactly what a card did.  There's not a lot to argue about what Tundra does.

However, I'm swapping out a bunch of War of the Spark cards in my Atraxa Superfiends [not a typo] deck for Japanese language versions as my FLGS has had a good deal on those packs and I'm using the cards as a way to help learn the language.  I'm sure I'll hear about this one on some level but one of the guys I usually play with is a level 2 judge and knows most of the current stuff by heart so hopefully it won't raise the salt levels much more than Atraxa usually does. 

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 07:36:50 pm »
As foreign cards are permitted in sanctioned tournament play, it's hard for a casual table to object.  When you don't have access to a judge.  The onus is on that card's owner to know what it does and to be able to provide translated rules text.

Personally, I do not like playing with foreign cards.  I forget the nuances when I can't read the card.  These are often important.  Does it target?  When does it trigger?  What are the restrictions?  What are the creature types?  I once new a guy who played a Japanese Cryptic Command.  He always chose the modes "counter target spell" and "draw a card".  He never chose the other two modes because he couldn't remember what they were.

Happy Brewing!
:)

PHHETT

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 07:48:20 pm »
I use cards in my decks with all languages I can read: German, French, English. I am not a perfect french speaker by any means, but I know the basics and can translate at least all cards I own.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 08:49:56 am »
Thanks for all the responses guys. Super interesting to hear other peoples opinions on it, especially those of you who speak multiple languages.

This coming from your classic ignorant Brit who can only speak English (not through lack of trying, I'm just naturally very bad at learning other languages it turns out).

I'm in the same boat as most of you it seems. I have no problem with it at all, but would definitely prefer it if the person using them to have a good grasp of the card if they're going to include a version that is in a language they don't speak just to avoid any confusion. That said, as Akira Foxmind pointed out, sometimes I have to check my English cards too so someone checking the wording still wouldn't overly bother me.

I was mostly asking because I've started picking up singles in other languages just for something different. So far it's just been cards I'm incredibly familiar with like Xathrid Necromancer, picked up a bunch of Italian Command Towers etc. However, I found that you can get some real good deals here in the UK on singles in other languages. For example, I managed to pick up a Chinese Necropotence for a fiver. It's usually £20+ here so I snapped it up at that price. My play group is super chill with everything, including cards in other languages, but I was just curious as to whether or not it was something other people had strong opinions on either way.

Thanks again for all your responses.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 08:57:40 am »
This coming from your classic ignorant Brit who can only speak English (not through lack of trying, I'm just naturally very bad at learning other languages it turns out).

Then again, your well prepared for most of the world with english. I as a german citizen somestimes wish I would've grown up with english instead of german because it's so versatile as world language. So I don't necessary see the need for you to learn other languages.  ;)
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 09:17:19 am »

Then again, your well prepared for most of the world with english. I as a german citizen somestimes wish I would've grown up with english instead of german because it's so versatile as world language. So I don't necessary see the need for you to learn other languages.  ;)

You're absolutely right, English is generally the most useful language to know on a Global scale.

Unfortunately that does perpetuate the ignorance of many of my countrymen. That lager lout, Brit's abroad, "I'll speak English but slowly so they understand" stereotype rings very true. I mean, that attitude is never something I'd adopt, but I've seen it many times. And, as someone who has no natural affinity for learning multiple languages, I've always found it incredibly impressive of those who can. I get that most of it occurs at a young age when it's easier to learn these things, but it still impresses the hell out of me.

Also, interesting side not about English on a global scale. "Aviation English" is widely considered to be the "language of the skies". It's not officially law, but it's widely accepted that Pilots and people who work air traffic control should speak at least basic English to help avoid miscommunication. Just a little tidbit that I found really interesting. Apologies if you passed out from the boredom that came from reading this.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 02:16:02 pm »
This makes me feel a little less bad, as an ignorant American. I had to take 2 years of a foreign language in school (I took German), and despite having one of the best teachers I have ever had in my years of school, I just didn't absorb the language well. Ah well.

PHHETT

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 02:53:24 pm »

Learning another language is ALWAYS worthwhile to widen ones horizon - in my humble opinion anyway. And if you start early its not that hard, either.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 03:09:28 pm »
This makes me feel a little less bad, as an ignorant American. I had to take 2 years of a foreign language in school (I took German), and despite having one of the best teachers I have ever had in my years of school, I just didn't absorb the language well. Ah well.

Same here and it was German I took as well. I just couldn't pick it up.
This space for rent.