deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Pioneer] Coveted Party  (Read 259 times)

Lux_a_Ducks

• What balance?
  • Decks
[Pioneer] Coveted Party
« on: September 12, 2020, 10:59:24 pm »
Deck: Coveted Party (Tajuru Paragon, Coveted Prize, Rekindling Phoenix)

Hello everyone!

I was hoping to get some suggestions and ideas on how to improve my decklist further. To simply clarify how it works, the main combo of the deck is to use Tajuru Paragon + Coveted Prize to cheat out either a Rekindling Phoenix or Nissa of Shadowed Boughs.
 If you're wondering, the Jace is only in the deck to get back a Coveted Prize or any other spell.

Warden of Silence

• Weeb, comic nerd, theater geek, also hella cute
  • Decks
Re: [Pioneer] Coveted Party
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 05:16:02 am »
I think the Party mechanic is really interesting in fun. I'm excited to be seeing decks for them.

Since the only creatures you have that can be in your party are Tajuru Paragon, and because you'll need all four out to have a full party, any removal will be able to shut your strategy down. Removal is everywhere, with Fatal Push being extremely popular, and sideboard options like Legion's End can come in and hurt the deck greatly. If you want to utilize Coveted Prize, I think you'll have to add in a wider selection of creatures, with the paragon being a good flex spot. I'm going to be going off that you'll want the main strategy.

You have a number of ramp cards, like Cultivate, Roiling Regrowth, and Broken Bond which I don't think particularly help your main goal. They work with Nissa and Scute Swarm, but it doesn't necessarily help your main goal. Casting Cultivate on turn three probably isn't what you'll want to be doing. A fine strategy on its own (and could be quite good if focused on), but I think removing the ramp package and replacing it with more Party centric cards would be best.

That leaves what to put in. Ideally, there should be some early turn plays, and cards that are solid on their own. Brazen Borrower is an excellent card. Acting as a bounce spell and as an aggressive creature that is a Rogue would be a nice addition. Archpriest of Iona can end up hitting for quite a bit of damage if it sticks around, and is a solid turn one play. Linvala, Shield of Sea Gate is a solid card that can protect your board if needed, but can also lock an opposing creature out from anything should you have a full party. Kargan Intimidator has some aggressive stats and can push damage through quite easily. Relic Robber, should it get in, can bring in some long term damage should the game last.

Admittedly, I don't know what cards will best for Party yet, and I haven't considered color restrictions. But I think that might be a good place to start.
Symmetrical effects are fair.

Lux_a_Ducks

• What balance?
  • Decks