deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Commander Play Jumped 3x in 2 Years  (Read 537 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Commander Play Jumped 3x in 2 Years
« on: September 16, 2020, 11:16:37 pm »
https://wpn.wizards.com/en/article/commander-play-jumped-3x-2-years

The Commander Audience Tripled Between 2018 and 2020
The main reason you should add Commander to your event schedule is simple: it's one of Magic's most popular and fastest growing formats.

At the start of 2018, we saw around 9,000 unique players sitting down for Commander play in WPN members stores each week. By February 2020, that number had tripled—about 28,000 unique players a week. And it doesn't show any signs of slowing down.

Stores that Host Commander See 14% More Tickets Overall
This space for rent.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: Commander Play Jumped 3x in 2 Years
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 11:37:41 pm »
What did they expect from MTG's uncontested best format? /s

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 07:40:14 pm »
I am approaching completing my first year as a magic player. I started with standard/draft as a jumping-in spot, but quickly discovered commander. Commander is now the only thing I really care about playing. I will still do pre-releases, but I haven't built a 60-card deck in quite some time.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 10:26:45 pm »
Outside of the occasional Pauper deck, I don't mess with any format besides Commander anymore. Of course, that really started around the time they did away with Extended as a format. I'll still do pre-releases and even draft once in a while, but Commander is pretty much it for me anymore. 
This space for rent.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 10:42:03 pm »
Outside of the occasional Pauper deck, I don't mess with any format besides Commander anymore. Of course, that really started around the time they did away with Extended as a format. I'll still do pre-releases and even draft once in a while, but Commander is pretty much it for me anymore.

I'm pretty much the same. Almost exclusively commander with the odd draft thrown in for funsies.

Started branching out into Canlander too and loving it. Still 100 card singleton which I love for the variance but lets me scratch that aggro, combat trick, life points matter itch that commander can't.

Commander is still the favourite though. Love the flavour. Love the jank. Love just taking a pile of my favourite old cards, throwing in some lands and calling it a deck. Superb.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 11:31:04 pm »
I started casually playing around 2011 just did 1 draft to see what that was about. Around 2014 I started drafting regularly. Then my local LGS did this 1 day pre-con commander league. Wanting to try something different I gave it a shot and was hooked. Yet there wasn't a commander group yet at my LGS so I kept drafting with a small splash of standard. Then 2 fellows started playing commander on Thursdays until it developed into a commander night. Then I joined into that group and have been a fan since. I do on occasion do a pre-release but only 1 compared to the 3-4 I used to do. The reason behind the attendance climbing for commander is what other format can you play mutliplayer besides casual play. Commander format there is no meta to follow, no high strung tournaments, no paying high dollar for cards so you can compete and so on. Anybody can play it and new players/old players get pre cons so you can join in a game with pennies on the dollar. You control your own destiny, if you like X for a commander then you can play X. Make X do whatever you want it to do. To me it such a relaxed layed back format with great socialization compared to the other formats. Commander gives you 0 pressure and with an unlimited pool of cards you can do whatever.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me