deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Secret Lair: The Walking Dead  (Read 6127 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Secret Lair: The Walking Dead
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 06:29:55 pm »

I don't see no gold or silver border, so this card is playable.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 06:34:12 pm »
I mean, that's pretty unique, right? None of the Secret Lairs so far have had new cards as far as I know, and a new, promotional (I can't think of a better word, but there probably is) card that's actually legal in Eternal formats is very odd.

Look at the shape of the holo thingy, too. It's a triangle, not an oval like it usually is.

Wack.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 06:48:30 pm »
Michonne really doesn't add anything to the deck but if I snag a copy somehow I may throw her in my Sidisi deck occasionally for shits and giggles.

ETA-
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:31:41 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 07:36:44 pm »

That one is more frightening than michonne. Add some flicker effects (shouldn't be a that big deal in madru) and enjoy a empty board afterwards.

All in all, it feels strange to see new cards introduced by a set like this. I mean there was stuff like my little pony cards (https://scryfall.com/sets/ptg), but they where pure fun cards.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Spinsane

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 07:55:18 pm »
I wish they were to release two versions, not just Foil /Non-Foil, but rather a set with AMC’s TV series inspired art as previewed, and another with art from or inspired by the comics instead

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 09:11:42 pm »
So, fun fact, there are already talks about these cards getting banned in commander.

As far as I can tell, the reason for it is that people shouldn't have to buy premium singles that will only be released one-time in order to make a deck.

The Rules Committee initially said there would be no pre-emptive bannings, but now they are rethinking that stance. The discussion is happening right now over Discord.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EDH/comments/j1fbxs/should_the_rc_ban_the_walking_dead_cards/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 10:10:05 pm »
So, fun fact, there are already talks about these cards getting banned in commander.

As far as I can tell, the reason for it is that people shouldn't have to buy premium singles that will only be released one-time in order to make a deck.

The Rules Committee initially said there would be no pre-emptive bannings, but now they are rethinking that stance. The discussion is happening right now over Discord.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EDH/comments/j1fbxs/should_the_rc_ban_the_walking_dead_cards/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
I definitely find these cards very odd. Someone mentioned the My Little Pony cards, but all those were silver bordered and would require you to get confirmation with your playgroup to play. These cards, though, despite being "themed" and joke-type cards like most silver-bordered cards, are completely legal in Eternal formats, which definitely leaves me scratching my head.

I'm mostly happy, though, that they aren't commanders I am interested in. I would feel really torn if they were a commander I'd want to play but they end up being really expensive/banned altogether.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 11:07:29 pm »

As someone who owns all the cards ... and is contemplating buying this just to keep that streak going ... I 100% support preemptively banning these.

At one point in time (long ago) WotC even promised that they would not print "tournament legal" cards in a "promotional only" type distribution.  They've stomped all over that promise.  Yet hold dear to the Reserve List.   ::)
Happy Brewing!
:)

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 12:35:48 am »
This also just seems like a stupid promotion. The current set is Return to Return to Zendikar, not Innistrad. Why zombie themed cards? Why make crossover cards that aren't just cosmetic, like the Godzilla promos, but are actual representations of characters from another IP? This feels like something a Japanese dime-a-dozen TCG would do, not MtG. Is WotC running out of easy cash grab ideas? 
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 01:04:33 am »
Is WotC running out of easy cash grab ideas?

Yes?
Happy Brewing!

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 01:44:50 am »
Yes?
They're not running out of ideas. They're getting new ideas. And not for the better. How do we stop them from overthinking this and just keep doing whatever they were doing between 1995 and 2015?
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 02:14:42 am »
Yes?
They're not running out of ideas. They're getting new ideas. And not for the better. How do we stop them from overthinking this and just keep doing whatever they were doing between 1995 and 2015?

We would have to collectively stop buying this nonsense. 

It's really difficult.

I kinda like it.

Don't think I can stop.

I might have a problem.
Happy Brewing!

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 02:25:42 am »
Yes?

It's really difficult.

I kinda like it.

Don't think I can stop.

I might have a problem.
ApothecaryGeist: "I don't like what they're doing, but I have to have every card.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2020, 02:46:47 am »

It's really difficult.

I kinda like it.

Don't think I can stop.

I might have a problem.

Rule one of dealing; don't get high off your own supply. You should know this.

How do we stop them from overthinking this and just keep doing whatever they were doing between 1995 and 2015?

For starters, don't buy this. I will have no problem if people just want to proxy these cards. There is also a survey going around to have these cards pre-emptively banned in commander, with 93% in favor of the ban. There was a discussion on the RC Discord, but I'm not sure where their stance is.