deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: How to know your done with your EDH deck  (Read 975 times)

Orangu

• Decks
How to know your done with your EDH deck
« on: October 28, 2020, 01:08:21 am »
I just finished two commander decks, or so I think! How do you know when your finished with a commander deck?

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
Re: How to know your done with your EDH deck
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 01:59:11 am »
That it has a hundred cards and I don't want to throw the whole thing against the wall usually tells me I'm done the first draft.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 06:58:19 am »
In my opinion, no deck is ever really "done" unless it needs to reach a final, solid state (e.g. a final decklist submitted for a competition). Decks can be "Completed" or "Finished" in the way that it can have the hundred cards and work well, but at least for me, all of my decks are in a constant state of evolution and improvement.

So to answer your question @Orangu, I think your deck is "done" when you are happy with its state and feel like it doesn't need any further improvements.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 07:39:39 am »
In my opinion, no deck is ever really "done" unless it needs to reach a final, solid state (e.g. a final decklist submitted for a competition). Decks can be "Completed" or "Finished" in the way that it can have the hundred cards and work well, but at least for me, all of my decks are in a constant state of evolution and improvement.

So to answer your question @Orangu, I think your deck is "done" when you are happy with its state and feel like it doesn't need any further improvements.

I think this is true, just by the fact that you'll get more fitting cards for each deck with every new set. So if you are a combo deck and say 'now my list is finished and perfect' there might be a new tutor-card in the next set that proofs you wrong.  ;)
From a theoretical point of view, that is. A deck is finished when it is as you want it to be. Depending on each player individually.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 07:53:32 am by Akira Foxmind »
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

Nox2k

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 08:46:38 am »

Have to agree.

When I look at all of my EDH-Decks they're just "finished" in regards to their current state. Pretty much all of them have been changed several times over the course of the last years. And there are several reasons for that:

• constant release of new cards - sometimes more fitting, sometimes a lil' more interesting, sometimes more challenging as far as piloting the deck goes (if you're interested in the latter)
  • picking up reprints of cards, that were outta reach when you initially came up with your decklist, as well as changes in your budget for the better
  • changes within your Playgroup/s (Metagame)
  • changes of YOUR perspective and/or preferences as a player

The last point might carry the most weight. The way I used to look at different aspects of deckbuilding like (REAL) Card Advantage, Ramp, building mana bases for various archetypes/color-identities etc., as well as archetypes themselves differs so much from my point of view nowadays.

My best advice would be to wrap up the deckbuilding process, when the decklist excites you, feels well-rounded for the moment and seems to do what you want it to  ;)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 01:39:19 pm »
Unpopular opinion: Your deck is never done. Even excluding new sets bringing new cards that might be good in your deck, your meta is always evolving, you yourself as a player might be changing.

I doubt no matter how much you have improved the deck, gotten feedback and followed up on it, your deck will never truly be finished, unless you are fine with it not being the absolute "best" version of itself.

Obviously, once your deck is consistently playing well in games (25+% winrate, rarely gets mana screwed/flooded, etc.), then upgrading it becomes more of a want than a need, so you could call it finished then if that's good enough for you.

Schau

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 01:51:24 pm »

• changes of YOUR perspective and/or preferences as a player

I agree completely with this, I used to really enjoy just playing big stuff and smashing face, but now I am more of a control player with more interest in the actual synergy of the deck and not just ramping to play a gigantosaurus on turn 3. Because of this all of my decks changed, and who knows, maybe in a few months I will like smashing people with large creatures again and my decks will all change again.

WWolfe

• Patron
    • Banging and (spell) slanging!
    • Decks
    « Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 01:54:02 pm »
    I agree with WizardSpartan and a few others that have said a deck is never finished. For instance, I've had my Skullbriar, the Walking Grave deck since it came out in the original Commander product  (2011). The deck has undergone a ton of changes based on the metas I've played in, new cards coming that either were straight upgrades over cards in the deck or a new mechanic coming out that gives new options for the playstyle of the deck (keyword counters in this case), and changing my own play style among other reasons.

Same with my Animar, Soul of Elements deck. These are decks I've had for nearly a decade and while they're "finished" in the sense that they're coherent decks that can play and win at a satisfactory rate, I don't consider either one of them "finished".

This space for rent.