deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Kaldheim Spoilers  (Read 12108 times)

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: Kaldheim Spoilers
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2020, 03:47:36 am »

They're saying that adding Phyrexian will make creatures functionally different and comparing it to when WotC errata'd the way dealing damage to planeswalkers worked, effectively making players guess whether any given burn spell printed before the change can hit a planeswalker or not.

Precisely what I was saying.
Happy Brewing!
:)

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2020, 03:50:04 am »

I forgot how annoying that is until you mentioned it. Thanks, I hate it.

In a similar vein, trying to explain that the original lords like Elvish Champion, Lord of Atlantis, etc. have the creature type they buff but actually still don't buff themselves is kinda annoying.

Lords were a little weird back in the day.  I also remember Goblin Rock Sled.  It had creature type Rock Sled.  So it did not get any of the goblin tribal bonuses.
Happy Brewing!
:)

jlutzxinc

• Decks
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2020, 04:57:05 am »
The original Lords now specify "other" and Goblin Rock Sled is now Goblin-type.  The burn spells had to specify that they work on both Creatures and players.  Back then it was probably much more difficult to work out.

On topic: at least one of the Mystery Booster "test cards" has type Phyrexian, and that is the same set that confirmed the replacement of Hound with Dog so precedent exists for that new Vorinclex to possibly be real; even more so considering the heavy counter support in this Standard.  I'm not sure who's seen it but there's an obviously fake new Elesh Norn going around so that's complicating things.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2020, 06:38:08 pm »
Kinda broken
Nils is the God I worship

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2020, 06:44:24 pm »
The original Lords now specify "other" and Goblin Rock Sled is now Goblin-type.  The burn spells had to specify that they work on both Creatures and players.  Back then it was probably much more difficult to work out.
You missed the point. I play with a 4th edition Lord of Atlantis in my Kumena deck and having to explain that he is, in fact, a Merfolk that can be tapped for Kumena's abilities, benefits from other lord effects, etc. but, as a result, his actual oracle text is "Other Merfolk get +1/+1 and have islandwalk," not "All Merfolk get +1/+1 and have islandwalk," is annoying. Especially when I play against people I don't really know and they pull out their phone to check Scryfall and make sure I'm not messing with them.

Our point is: when they make functional errata, it's annoying for players with older versions of cards with the outdated text to have to relearn what the card actually says, let alone use it in a game against other players who may think that what is printed on the card is what the card does.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2020, 08:00:34 pm »

Toski is spicy. Seems extremely good in EDH, just don't know what to do with him. Battle seems like a good card for token decks, and while Arni isn't necessarily exciting, we get to see the new mechanic.

Edit: Just saw that Soren attached the Squirrel in their post. My bad, didn't see it. I'll leave mine up, though, as it's easier to see and shows the alternate border.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 08:07:29 pm by WizardSpartan »

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2020, 08:52:06 pm »
Hmm.. Toski could be very interesting for a mono-G fun deck. Indestructible and card draw in the command zone.. very interesting for playing voltron. 4 mana for 1/1 feels kinda weak, but ramp shouldnt be a problem and for the power, there are tons of artifacts and auras to pump him up.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2020, 10:11:18 pm »
I'm expecting Toski to be mono-green Edric.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2020, 06:16:39 pm »

Marshstepper78

• Decks
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2020, 10:36:27 pm »
I'm a bit disappointed with Toski, Bearer of Secrets. A Coastal Piracy or a Bident of Thassa on a stick, even an indestructible one, doesn't excite me. When I heard that Kaldheim had a legendary squirrel, I was really hoping the creature would be in Gruul colours.

I agree: he'll either head a mono-green variation of Edric or serve as redundancy in an Edric deck (probably a sub-optimal Edric on top of it). I don't even play Coastal Piracy or Bident of Thassa in my Edric deck anymore. I feel the deck is fast enough and has enough counterspells to protect my commander so I ended up cutting those cards.

Edric's draw trigger is a political tool as well so a Toski variant will lose some depth at the kitchen table.

I don't see how Toski is going to be great in cEDH, but again, I don't play competitive so I'm perhaps not seeing something. Someone that plays cEDH could shed some light.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2021, 01:31:38 am »
So I was kinda close with Foretell. You do cast it at a later time.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2021, 01:36:57 am »
Those 2 cards just show how much powercreep has happened. Righteous Valkyrie is only 3 mana for a 2/4 with flying and 2 very relevant abilities. Battle Mammoth is a 6/5 trample that can be cast on turn 4 without any ramp, and it has its own extremely relevant ability.

I remember just a couple years ago, Carnage Tyrant was one of the best creatures in Standard. What a world of difference.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2021, 06:48:53 pm »

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2021, 07:47:33 pm »
Why are there so many mechanics in this set?
  • Foretell
  • MDFCs
  • Sagas
  • Gods
  • Boast
  • Runes
And that's excluding the tribes (I believe there are 5?).

This seems kinda crazy, ngl. 3 of the mechanics are even new, not returning mechanics.

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2021, 07:56:33 pm »
Why are there so many mechanics in this set?
  • Foretell
  • MDFCs
  • Sagas
  • Gods
  • Boast
  • Runes
And that's excluding the tribes (I believe there are 5?).

This seems kinda crazy, ngl. 3 of the mechanics are even new, not returning mechanics.

Each mechanic seems to do a good job of capturing the essence of Viking culture and mythology so the set should be simply oozing flavor but I'll admit that it does seem like a lot to try and reconcile from a game design pov.  I have to wonder how much design space each can be afforded?