deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Dual Help Request: Choosing my Next Commander and Navigating xir Options  (Read 2420 times)

TrueNeutralPaladin

• Decks
Re: Double Help Request: Choosing My Next Commander and Navigating Its Options
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2021, 11:06:47 pm »
*Legal disclaimer: Yasharn is not responsible for damage incurred to your opponents' fetchlands by their own salty tears of rage and impotence.
Ironically, fetchlands are one of the only sacrifice effects Yasharn doesn't stop.
Yasharn doesn't stop players from sacrificing lands... but does stop them from paying the life to activate that ability in the first place. ;)

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2021, 12:30:42 am »
*Legal disclaimer: Yasharn is not responsible for damage incurred to your opponents' fetchlands by their own salty tears of rage and impotence.
Ironically, fetchlands are one of the only sacrifice effects Yasharn doesn't stop.
Yasharn doesn't stop players from sacrificing lands... but does stop them from paying the life to activate that ability in the first place. ;)
You got me. Completely forgot fetchlands cost health for a minute.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2021, 01:40:03 pm »
Also stops Mana Confluence and Spire of Industry. BUT IT DOESN'T STOP CITY OF BRASS (or Tarnished Citadel for that matter) so there's still hope left. Most tutors work, too. And untapping, that's important.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

TrueNeutralPaladin

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2021, 04:15:55 pm »
Also stops Mana Confluence and Spire of Industry. BUT IT DOESN'T STOP CITY OF BRASS (or Tarnished Citadel for that matter) so there's still hope left. Most tutors work, too. And untapping, that's important.

Yes! :)

Yasharn is a relatively light stax piece and chiefly shuts down a swath of combos and value plays (and some high dollar cards like fetches and Force of Will and whatnot) while allowing opponents to continue playing the game.

You could build a gruesome stax deck around Yasharn, and you might go that route if trying to make a CEDH build, but I'm working on a deck that simply aims to keep opponents from running away with the game while I set up a classic Selesnya board with some big-mana win-cons. I don't run much more than what I mentioned above in terms of stax-y effects, so I don't think there's much room for other players to claim it's "unfun" (especially if their decks rely on a new-school absurd-value commander or early combo - Yasharn is certainly no worse than either).  I tend to think of Yasharn as more of a Timmy commander than a stax commander.

I really like the balance Yasharn strikes - it's one of my favorite card designs of the past decade of Magic. And it has great art! :)

krichaiushii

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2021, 08:36:33 pm »
Xyris, the Writhing Storm looks fun, not just with Wheels, but Teferi's Puzzle Box

Then all the token nonsense Green provides alongside the Red Impact Tremors things. 

It's enough to make me want to build a deck around this idea.

jlutzxinc

• Decks
I'm just going to necro my own thread to thank everyone for their contributions.  I got Tariel and Xyris to work and they should be public soon, plus I worked out an alternate role for Archelos for now.  Yasharn is very cool but not my style.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 02:51:12 pm by jlutzxinc »