deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Which Tribes Don't Have a Commander?  (Read 1884 times)

jlutzxinc

• Decks
Which Tribes Don't Have a Commander?
« on: January 14, 2021, 02:05:36 am »
I just had an extremely silly idea: Morophon, the Boundless tribes-without-Legendaries Tribal.  I started to look up all of the Creature types (to see which ones didn't have Commanders) but quickly got overwhelmed because Magic has 252 of them in black border alone, some of which are Land-or-Token-specific and therefore CAN'T have Commanders per se.

Someone might think this topic is similar to Morganator's "next tribe to get a Commander" thread but I thought the scope of this was sufficiently different as that was more of a wishlist with most participants naming tribes that already had Legendaries they didn't like.  Unlike my other next-Deck topic this time I have a shell and just need the Creature types to put in to complete it.

Xantius was happy with Jeska, Thrice Reborn as a Phoenix Commander but I'm not entirely convinced by that argument; other tribes I'm aware of include Egg (unless you want to count Atla Palani, Nest Tender who's a Human Shaman and not an Egg) and Myr.  What other tribes don't have Legendaries of their own Creature type?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:25:56 am by jlutzxinc »

Threlnari

• Decks
Re: Which Tribes Don't Have a Commander?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 03:51:21 am »
Giving horrors more tools and an actual tribal identity (maybe around mill or something similar) could be really damn cool tbh, and I don't think they have an actual legendary creature to lead them aside from morophon.

jlutzxinc

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 04:05:21 am »
Giving horrors more tools and an actual tribal identity (maybe around mill or something similar) could be really damn cool tbh, and I don't think they have an actual legendary creature to lead them aside from morophon.
There are 14 Legendary Horrors, but notable Horror-as-primary-type Legendaries include Tsabo Tavoc and K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth.  I agree that a cohesive Tribal identity would be great but that's not what I'm trying to do here.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 04:06:55 am by jlutzxinc »

Threlnari

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 10:15:43 am »
i forgot K’rrk, Son of Yawgmoth was a horror (and that Tsabo Tavoc even existed). whoops, sorry!

SIRrobthenob

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 08:34:47 am »
I think Spirits need an Esper those are their 3 main colors but they don't have a commander for them yet.  There is also no commanders that focus on soldier synergies.  Same with druids but I think there needs to be a druid set first to give more synergistic cards within the druid tribe. 

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 12:43:53 pm »
I think Spirits need an Esper those are their 3 main colors but they don't have a commander for them yet.  There is also no commanders that focus on soldier synergies.  Same with druids but I think there needs to be a druid set first to give more synergistic cards within the druid tribe.

Don't you think Darien, King of Kjeldor is a typical soldier commander? It sure can make lots of soldiers if your opponents aren't careful.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 01:58:34 pm »
Same with druids but I think there needs to be a druid set first to give more synergistic cards within the druid tribe.

Did you forget Seton, Krosan Protector exists?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 02:19:39 pm by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 04:30:47 pm »
other tribes I'm aware of include Egg (unless you want to count Atla Palani, Nest Tender who's a Human Shaman and not an Egg) and Myr.  What other tribes don't have Legendaries of their own Creature type?

I'm imagining the dumbest possibilities for an egg type commander, and this is making me so excited to design one.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 04:49:03 pm »
Same with druids but I think there needs to be a druid set first to give more synergistic cards within the druid tribe.

Did you forget Seton, Krosan Protector exists?

I might have found a way to create memes of my own rather than just inserting blank versions. This might be the happiest day of my life.

TrueNeutralPaladin

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 03:51:59 pm »
Kaalia is limited to Mardu, and her thing is more "cheat the big-bads of each of her colors into play" than angel tribal. I'd welcome a proper angel commander, something like this:

The Voice of the Host (2)(W)(W)

Legendary Creature - Angel - 4/4

Flying, vigilance

(T), Pay 4 life: Counter target spell that would damage, destroy, or exile one or more permanents.

(W)(U)(B)(R)(G): You may put an Angel creature card from your hand onto the battlefield.

Key points:

- Costs 4 or less mana.

- WUBRG color identity from an ability, not from casting cost, enabling use of any desired combination of colors/angels.

- Thematic and powerful ability - protection against boardwipes (and against single-target removal, if an individual piece is worth leaving your board open to wraths).

- Low-key Angel tribal synergy - a small cost reduction for more expensive Angels if WUBRG is assembled, and protection against counterspells.

I'd probably die of happiness if that were actually printed. ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:54:44 pm by TrueNeutralPaladin »

Marshstepper78

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 02:03:29 pm »
Seton, Krosan Protector doesn't feel like a druid tribal commander. He doesn't give druids some kind of tribal identity; he just turns them into mana dorks, which some druids already are. Might as well play elves at that point. I also think WotC would have to have an expansion that makes druids an important tribe in that world's design in order to really flesh them out (perhaps an expansion based on Celtic mythology with gods based on those in the Celtic pantheon).

I read something about a Celtic druid ritual involving the wearing of a white cloak and the sacrifice of white bulls so WotC could add druids to White to make the colour pie's redheaded stepchild a more balanced colour. Foretell would fit a Celtic-inspired world as well; they brought back Morph in a precon so eventually bringing back Foretell is not unimaginable.

What we really need though is a Brushwagg commander.

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 08:08:47 pm »
Nephilim needs a tribal commander
A single victory is all I need.

jlutzxinc

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 09:25:11 pm »
Wow, this blew up about a week after I thought it died.  Is that typical here?

The Nephilim should be Legendary IMO, and I know O-Kagachi, Vengeful Kami is terrible but a WUBRG Spirit Commander exists.

Also, I missed the whopping two Brushwaggs MTG has.  I'll add them to my build.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 07:20:20 am »
I wouls like to see a true archer commander. If Greatbow doyen would be simic or bant it would already be great. Blue is important to give your opponent's creatures flying. I did have a casuel 60 card deck that was a lot of fun to play.

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 04:27:33 pm »
I don't believe Mercenaries, Horses, Kavu, Kor, Plants (Phylath, World Sculptor being only sort of a plant commander), or Shades have commanders.