deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Wyleth deck critique please  (Read 819 times)

jaqnhagr

• Decks
Wyleth deck critique please
« on: January 25, 2021, 07:24:24 pm »
main

New to MTG here. I started with a Wyleth commander precon and switched out some cards. Any advice? Do I have enough lands? Any cards to remove and/or add?

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
Re: Wyleth deck critique please
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 08:00:02 pm »
The precon deck rarely have competent mana bases or ramp. Remove some basics for some Boros colored lands. And remember, your deck is a Volton-focused deck that aims to win fast, so make sure that you can play most of your cards within the first 4-6 turns.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 08:01:49 pm »
Try adding Godo, Bandit Walord, and Helm of the Host. They go infinite together for combat phases, although this also works for the Aurelia that you have in the deck.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

terminalgeek

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 08:18:35 pm »
Just a quick assessment but I would include some more card draw. Wyleth will probably draw you plenty but good to have a back-up. I'd recommend:

Akiri, Fearless Voyager (additional card draw and protection)
Tome of Legends (good for if you plan on attacking a lot with your commander)
Reliquary Tower (since you're going to be drawing a lot)
Some more ramp... Talisman of Conviction, Mind Stone, Arcane Signet

I also suggest Assault Suit as a personal pet card, not optimal but I like security against forced sacrifice effects.

Waireth

• Izzet doesn't rhythm with any other English word.
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 08:35:44 pm »
I'd advise you to just build my deck. Specially some cheap inclusions but very synergysing like Empyrial Plate. Also I'd rather have a big focus on equipments if you can afford them than mix with auras, since they don't synergise with many other good enablers. You use some super good and expensive cards but then you leave some extremely underpowered things like the Ring equipments, Mask of Avacyn, Kor Cartographer, the haunted cloak, temur battlerage (which only provides double strike), danitha, who doesn't do much if you don't want to equip her as every equipment should go on wyleth. Also I'd put out every tapped double land if I could have an untapped one for some more, and also take out the irrelevant colorless utility lands like encroaching wastes or myriad, which we'll not probably use, as we want to win fast. Finally, i'd add every "equipper" guy I can find to avoid paying all the mana equipping costs, better than the 1 mana we save with Danitha. Good luck!

My list: https://deckstats.net/decks/119091/1802740-wyleth-soul-of-steel-ultimate-/en

fire5167

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 08:48:13 pm »
Hi. Here are some suggestions, but you don't have to take all of it; they're just suggestions.
Cosmic_Insight is right. You are lacking some ramp and removal and have some excess equipments, so we can go from there.

What to take out imo

What to put in

Good luck!

jaqnhagr

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 08:57:03 pm »
Cosmic_Insight I agree that the precon needed some work, I picked up several lands- Buried Ruin, Rugged Prairie, Needleverge Pathway, Sacred Foundry, Spectator Seating, and  Sunbaked Canyon.
I do like Godo, Bandit Warlord though, and it isn't too pricey either.

terminalgeek- I have played with a partial build of this deck a few times and I have had to discard cards to due hand size, so I'll definitely be looking at reliquary tower

Waireth, I'll take a look at your build and compare it to what I have, but I don't really want to start over. I feel like I could use a few more plains and mountains, and kor cartographer is on my list to pull.

Thanks for the additional insight, I'm still working on understanding the synergy between the cards.

fire5167- awesome list, thank you for looking. I will review those as well!

Thanks everyone!

Waireth

• Izzet doesn't rhythm with any other English word.
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 09:05:41 pm »
very good ideas all of them, I'd also add godo, I just don't bc my group don't like infinite combos for some reason (although voltrony decks are acceptable  :o)

JayAngryProphet

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 12:52:23 am »
I just added helm of the host to my build and will be following some of the advice here as well. Godo and aurelia are coming in. If you already cut Sunforger, then a few of the cuts recommended are good like relentless assault and master warcraft since they are really only there for sunforger unequip targets.

TrueNeutralPaladin

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 06:25:15 am »
[[Bloodforged Battle-Axe]] is well-suited to Wyleth (and Akiri).

Kaldheim would've been a good place to reprint it, but of course WotC didn't, so it's $20-30. But since you're running the swords, that probably isn't a problem.