deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: New with a dumb question  (Read 806 times)

dfrontiera

• Decks
New with a dumb question
« on: January 02, 2015, 07:01:30 pm »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and Magic the Gathering.
I've been playing for only a little while and have been really enjoying building decks, and finding combo's etc. But I have a few questions I'm hoping some of you can help me with since I can't seem to find a direct answer in my searches online.

First question deals with Yawgmoth's Bargain, Can the pay 1 life and draw a card effect be played at anytime (IE Opponents turn) or is it only on your draw phase?

Second question, I've read some conflicting things about the "Legendary Rule". It seems that at one point it was only one type of Legendary card was allowed on the battlefield (IE If you had a Tolarian Academy out you couldn't put an Academy Ruins out without destroying both lands). Now I'm seeing that you could technically have both on the battlefield under your control. Is this a correct interpretation of the rules??

Thanks all!
-D

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
Re: New with a dumb question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 08:12:52 am »
Yawgmoth's Bargin: any time you have priority.

Legendary rule: You are misunderstanding. It used to be that 1 Legendary could be on the battlefield, or in play, and a second one entering would destroy them both, without regard to who controlled either. Now, each player is allowed to have 1 of any legendary, or planeswalker of any type, in play; if they play a second one, they have to decide which one is 'sacrificed' and removed from play.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

dfrontiera

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 05:38:40 am »
DrunkCynic,

Thanks for the response. So for the Legendary rule only one type of legendary is allowed on the battlefield correct? So you couldn't have a Legendary Artifact and a legendary land. It's one or the other? Just making sure I've got a full grasp on this. Thanks again!!

-D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:02:49 am by dfrontiera »

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 09:18:34 am »
Eh, no again. By one of a legendary, the rules mean one instance of that card, with no other copies, existing on the battlefield under your control. You could only have one Thassa, God of the Sea in play. A second one enter the battlefield under your control, or acquired from your opponent,  would enact the state based effect, requiring you to sacrifice one of them. In the example you originally posted, Tolarian Academy and Academy Ruins, you could have both in play at the same time. Under the previous rules, playing a second of either would have destroyed both copies, leaving the other in play. Now, you can still have both in play at the same time, but playing a second of either makes you choose between the two matching cards and sacrifice one of them. It is possible to have multiple legendary creatures, land, artifacts, and enchantments in play at the same time, as long as there doesn't exist two or more of a thing, unless you had a Mirror Gallery affect occuring.

By type, I was referring to the Planeswalkers of matching Subtype; you can have only one planeswalker of any subtype in play under your control at a time. There are five Planeswalkers that have the Ajani subtype: Ajani Goldmane, Ajani Steadfast, Ajani Vengeant, Ajani, Caller of the Pride, and Ajani, Mentor of Heros. While you could have several of them in your deck, you can only have one instance of a planeswalker with the Ajani Subtype in play under your control at a time.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

dfrontiera

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 08:39:25 pm »
Ahh I understand now. Thanks a ton for the explanation I do really appreciate it!

-D