deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Strixhaven - How is it so far?  (Read 892 times)

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
Strixhaven - How is it so far?
« on: March 26, 2021, 02:09:05 am »
After day one of spoiler season, Strixhaven has a different vibe than other sets. The cards look interesting (rip learn not being useful in EDH) and there certainly are some neat legends. SO far, I feel like the Colleges have a totally different feel than the guilds, and that's a good thing. With the new Orzhov (or should I say Silverquill?) Elder dragon, WB group hug/politics becomes a thing. Simic Tokens are real now. Bprps gets an incredibly decent commander. Plus the mystical archives. This is a great set, good job Wizards.
(I'll upddate this later if something goes horriby wrong, plus where is Jin-Gitaxis?)
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: Strixhaven - How is it so far?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 02:28:03 am »
Simic Tokens are real now.
Koma, Cosmos Serpent: Am I a joke to you?

With the new Orzhov (or should I say Silverquill?) Elder dragon, WB group hug/politics becomes a thing.
Yep, I think the Elder dragon is really cool, but I'm an even bigger fan of the p1p1 counter themed dean. I've been looking for a p1p1 counter commander that just doesn't automatically build boring stompy goodstuff etc., and I think lacking green and blue + having a very interesting back face is promising. My deckbuilder brain is buzzing. Tokens (especially 1/1s) could be cool. Hmm.

The Boros one is super, super cool. I honestly don't care about the back face, but Plargg is super wild. He's only 2 mana, has a really good filtering ability for early/whenever you don't have mana for his 2nd ability, provides a unique form of card advantage, and is open-ended enough to breed diversity in builds while still providing a meaningful restriction.

If these legendary creatures weren't so damn good, I might be angrier at Wizards for the unending cycles of legendary creatures that seem to come with every set, but they're just too cool for me to be mad.

jlutzxinc

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 12:39:23 pm »
Only about three dozen cards and already this set looks insane.

Who controls the Spoilers link here?  A lot of stuff is missing despite being on Scryfall.

EDIT: As a Superfriends main, I'll be using all four of the Planeswalker cards (and support) thus revealed in various Decks once the Spoilers link is fixed.  Standard is terrible for Superfriends as usual, but that might be changing now.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 05:02:34 pm by jlutzxinc »

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 04:38:44 pm »
My personal Highlights until now (according to what is online on scryfall) are Kasmina, Enigma Sage and Valentin, Dean of the Vein // Lisette, Dean of the Root. Kasmina should be a bomb for any superfriends deck she is fitting in and Valentin seems to be a very efficient Gravehate that can be put into the command zone.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 05:12:09 pm »
It definitely is an interesting set though I tend to look at sets from an aspect of what fits my current decks or gives me the desire to build and so far nothing fits that criteria.
This space for rent.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 05:33:33 pm »
I gotta say, I'm excited by Osgir, the Reconstructor.

Dump a Trading Post and a Sculpting Steel in my yard and I can end up with four Trading Posts. Four! I can do the whole cycle in one turn!

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 05:49:01 pm »
I gotta say, I'm excited by Osgir, the Reconstructor.

Dump a Trading Post and a Sculpting Steel in my yard and I can end up with four Trading Posts. Four! I can do the whole cycle in one turn!

jlutzxinc

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 10:12:51 pm »
If Kasmina, Enigma Sage stacks with Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God, it will be hilarious to run them in Historic and possibly crash MTG Arena with all of the duplicating Loyalty abilities.  Even better if you have Bolas but your opponent runs Kasmina.

EDIT: It doesn't per se but getting extra powers is still super good.  The Learn keyword on the other hand is just awesome.  Cycling and Wish combined (with caveats)?  Yes please.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 10:19:38 pm by jlutzxinc »

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 10:43:13 pm »
Learn does have the discard and draw effect, so it's not completely dead for Commander. Certainly less flexible though, unless your group is ok with getting rid of the no sideboard thing to make full use of the new mechanic.