deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What decks have you made to get people into EDH?  (Read 317 times)

Slyvester12

• Decks
What decks have you made to get people into EDH?
« on: March 30, 2021, 02:46:26 am »
I've seen a few threads on here about building decks for partners and friends to get them into the game; I'm curious what people use as an intro deck. Obviously precons are useful, but I find people are often more invested if you help them build a custom deck.

For reference, I built my fiance this Mayael deck:
https://deckstats.net/decks/132279/1546694-mayael-big-boi-tribal
which she liked so much we upgraded into this Kinan deck:
https://deckstats.net/decks/132279/1866615-kinnan-big-bois
to be more in line power-wise with my other decks. She wanted big bois and a straightforward game plan, and it seems to have worked.

What deck have you built someone to get them interested, and how well did it turn out?
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: What decks have you made to get people into EDH?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 10:22:31 am »
I've tried to build a few decks for my wife to get her interested.

She enjoys MTG well enough, but doesn't like EDH at all. She doesn't like "the extra rules and complications, the longer games, the pointless colour restrictions or the higher life totals".

She, like most beginners, enjoys smashy tribal decks. She had a lot of fun playing a naya dinos deck and a simic merfolk deck I built for her. These were both 60 card constructed kitchen table decks. Nothing fancy, but fun and generally equally matched. We used to play them off against each other like a duel deck, swapping decks every so often.

The closest thing I got to an EDH deck that she liked was Kangee, Aerie Keeper. She loves bird watching so I built her a bird tribal deck where as many cards as possible had birds in the art. Added in some Rebecca Guay basics to make it pretty. It was almost a success. She loved the idea and appreciated the effort, but it couldn't win her over on EDH in general.

I've got an Ezuri, Renegade leader deck for introducing general new players to MTG or EDH. It's classic elfball. Relatively simple to pilot, but full of nuance for when they start to get the hang of things.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: What decks have you made to get people into EDH?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 04:38:32 pm »
I've got an Ezuri, Renegade leader deck for introducing general new players to MTG or EDH. It's classic elfball. Relatively simple to pilot, but full of nuance for when they start to get the hang of things.

I haven't built a deck specifically for beginners, but I will usually give my Ezuri deck to players less experienced with EDH. Roughly, here's the few tips I give them when they pilot the deck for the first time.
  • Play a boatload of elves.
  • Get a lot of mana.
  • ??
  • Profit (pump your creatures as much as you can, close your eyes, and swing everything).