deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Commander Varient  (Read 1563 times)

SsserenityUltra

• Decks
Commander Varient
« on: April 10, 2021, 11:44:03 pm »
Has anyone ever built an edh deck without rares or mythics? I've thought of building a few, but I just can't pick the right commander. Dina, Soul Steeper sounds fun, but her abilities don't synchronize. Does anyone else have ideas for fun edh decks that don't have rares or mythics?

Landale

• Decks
Re: Commander Varient
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 01:52:22 am »
Pauper Commander is a thing, not as popular as normal as far as I know though. Though that's even more restrictive than what you're asking, as the only thing allowed to be Uncommon is the Commander, everything else must be Common.
Her abilities actually work together really well. There are a significant number of cards that cause opponents to lose life and you to gain life when things die. Admittedly, most of those cards are Uncommon or higher, so aside from Falkenrath Noble and Deathgreeter you'd not be able to play them in proper Pauper rules.

I put together a rough Pauper Commander Dina deck to give you an idea on how you could work her.
https://deckstats.net/decks/168446/2019204-pauper-dina
Basically the idea here is to gain small amounts of life repeatedly and rapidly. There's also a few relatively large creatures for her to eat if you need the power, but most of them are "gain life when this/other things die" effects.
Fangren Marauder is probably one of the few big creatures you won't ever want to feed to her as it turns Treasures into little bombs while the two Dauthi creatures and a Goldvein Pick will keep you in good supply.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 09:56:31 am by Landale »

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 09:11:35 am »
I've built a couple of Pauper commander decks in the past, just as an interesting deck building restriction more than anything.

The one that I found to be most effective and that I had the most fun with was Slimefoot, the Stowaway.

Saprolings have a long history in MTG so finding cards that create and synergise with Saprolings is easy enough. Dominaria, the set that Slimefoot is from, had plenty of decent choices at common and uncommon alone.

The deck was a lot of fun and, while it definitely could be improved with some rares/mythics, it handled itself fairly well all things considered.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 08:50:24 pm »
Has anyone ever built an edh deck without rares or mythics? I've thought of building a few, but I just can't pick the right commander. Dina, Soul Steeper sounds fun, but her abilities don't synchronize. Does anyone else have ideas for fun edh decks that don't have rares or mythics?

I'm building one right now. With some friends I play with on Spelltable we now have a challenge to build a deck with an uncommon commander and no rares or mythics in the deck.

I am now collecting my cards, I am going to build Hamza, Guardian of Arashin, with some counter cards and some high CMC cards like pathrazer of ulamog, archetype of endurance and such. And there are quite a.lot of carddraw options in uncommon as well: Garruk's uprising, armorcraft judge and inspiring call are some of them.

My friends are going to build Hallar, the firefletcher, abomination of Llanowar and a partner deck with Ghost of Ramirez dePietro & Tormod the desecrator. Another deck one i was thinking of was Araumi of the dead tide. If you look at the budget versions of the deck on EDHREC there are already a lot of (un)commons on the list.

When I have deck in concept I will post it here.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:52:24 pm by paulusdeboself »

JOONY0R

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 05:40:09 am »
I've been trying to convince my play group to do something like this. When I finally do convince them I have a  Mowu, Loyal Companion deck in the works.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 10:25:21 pm »

I'm building one right now. With some friends I play with on Spelltable we now have a challenge to build a deck with an uncommon commander and no rares or mythics in the deck.

I am now collecting my cards, I am going to build Hamza, Guardian of Arashin, with some counter cards and some high CMC cards like pathrazer of ulamog, archetype of endurance and such. And there are quite a.lot of carddraw options in uncommon as well: Garruk's uprising, armorcraft judge and inspiring call are some of them.

My friends are going to build Hallar, the firefletcher, abomination of Llanowar and a partner deck with Ghost of Ramirez dePietro & Tormod the desecrator. Another deck one i was thinking of was Araumi of the dead tide. If you look at the budget versions of the deck on EDHREC there are already a lot of (un)commons on the list.

When I have deck in concept I will post it here.

It's finished, tomorrow I'll put it to the test.

https://deckstats.net/decks/104951/2032989-uncommonder-hamza

One of my friends I play with also posts his decks on Deckstats sometimes, when (/if) that deck is online, I'll post a link in this thread too. I have played against it with a regular (not that powerfull) deck, but I lost. It's blueBlack and quite good. Only building with (un)commons is a good way to keep it budget.

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 05:10:03 am »
Noticed you had a lot of ways to put out counters in that, but not a lot of ways to benefit from it. Also had a few cards that were off theme, at least as far as I could tell, so I tried changing things up a bit to add on more benefits. In a couple cases, fight cards specifically, I kept that but swapped them out for ones that also deal in +1/+1 counters. If it turns out the deck needs work after your testing, you could consider some things like this.
https://deckstats.net/decks/168446/2041020-copy-of-uncommonder-hamza

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 08:04:20 am »
Noticed you had a lot of ways to put out counters in that, but not a lot of ways to benefit from it. Also had a few cards that were off theme, at least as far as I could tell, so I tried changing things up a bit to add on more benefits. In a couple cases, fight cards specifically, I kept that but swapped them out for ones that also deal in +1/+1 counters. If it turns out the deck needs work after your testing, you could consider some things like this.

Thanks a lot, there are quite a few cards I already own. Especially the outlast ones could be a great addition. And also the Alhara & Slurrk, they could be fun too. I hadn't thought of them, they are in my Commander Legends Cube for now.

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 07:42:06 pm »
I teach Magic to my students after school and, in order to teach them commander when many of them didn't own their own cards, we built a bunch of super budget commander decks, most of which had few if any rares.  Some of my favorites were Adeliz, the Cinder Wind, Shanna, Sisay's Legacy, and Slimefoot, the Stowaway.

fluffyp

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 09:44:04 pm »
Off the top of my head, I have budget decks built around these four uncommon commanders:

Zada, Hedron Grinder
Syr Konrad, the Grim
Araumi of the Dead Tide
Abomination of Llanowar

They're some of favourite decks and very, very fun to play.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 10:02:22 am »
Thanks a lot, there are quite a few cards I already own. Especially the outlast ones could be a great addition. And also the Alhara & Slurrk, they could be fun too. I hadn't thought of them, they are in my Commander Legends Cube for now.

I have played the deck as it was (couldn't make the suggested alterations in time). But the deck did what it was supposed to do. After a slow start I could cast a few of the big beaters in the form of my eldrazi for cheap. Unfortunately I did lose to Hallar, the firefletcher. I should have removed keeper of skybreak that was untapping my opponents priest of titania or the priest itself, but I was too confident I could kill him with my eldrazi's next turn. I was wrong! Hallar kills fast when you can cast a few (big) kicked spells. The Aurami deck didn't perform as well as the other times I played against it, It did suffer from the exile from one of my Eldrazi's and the continous damage of Hallar.

Next I'm going to build Abomination of Llanowar, that could be done on a budget as well I think. The other suggestions made by fluffyp look like fun to, I want a Zada deck for years, maybe I should try that deck first. Choices in what to build are hard, I cannot build it all.....