deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Universes Beyond  (Read 1628 times)

Slyvester12

• Decks
Re: Universes Beyond
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 08:59:25 pm »
"Reskinned" as in what happened with the Godzilla cards. They are all based on a magic card that already exists (with one exception). Getting the actual godzilla cards reprinted is unlikely, but all the cards they are based off of can be reprinted.

This is not the same as the universes beyond product, hence why that last part ("[...] will continue to balance between the two as we move forward.") Is included. They are two separate types of products.

Once again skip over the important parts. There will also be the occasional standalone product like The Walking Dead, but the intention is to typically make Universes Beyond as available as any other Magic product.[/u][/i]
This quote almost certainly implies a regular print run, not the ability to reprint at will. This sounds like they expect Universes Beyond to be available in some kind of booster or precon instead of as a limited secret lair drop. Negotiating indefinite rights to an outside IP would be exponentially more difficult than the rights to print a one time product for several months.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 09:06:20 pm »
This is kind of an aside, but it's interesting to see that WotC finally has some right to use Lord of the Rings property. Back when TSR first made Dungeons & Dragons they had to change the names of some of the creatures so as not to conflict with Tolkien Enterprises. Hobbits became halflings, ent became treant, balrog became balor, and so forth.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2021, 11:00:36 pm »
"Reskinned" as in what happened with the Godzilla cards. They are all based on a magic card that already exists (with one exception). Getting the actual godzilla cards reprinted is unlikely, but all the cards they are based off of can be reprinted.

This is not the same as the universes beyond product, hence why that last part ("[...] will continue to balance between the two as we move forward.") Is included. They are two separate types of products.

Once again skip over the important parts. There will also be the occasional standalone product like The Walking Dead, but the intention is to typically make Universes Beyond as available as any other Magic product.[/u][/i]
This quote almost certainly implies a regular print run, not the ability to reprint at will. This sounds like they expect Universes Beyond to be available in some kind of booster or precon instead of as a limited secret lair drop. Negotiating indefinite rights to an outside IP would be exponentially more difficult than the rights to print a one time product for several months.

This one is quite simple it is called royalties. Which Morgantor just pointed out that Wotc made an actuall offer and Tolkien didn't like the offer/idea. By giving out royalties Wotc can print/reprint a card as many times as they want.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2021, 11:56:15 pm »
This one is quite simple it is called royalties. Which Morgantor just pointed out that Wotc made an actuall offer and Tolkien didn't like the offer/idea.

I implied no such thing. Before Wizards of the Coast acquired Dungeons and Dragons it was owned by TSR, and TSR were the ones who needed to avoid copyright infringement.

Bonethor

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 12:00:17 am »
Okay...I've read the article and I apologize in advance for the upcoming rant.  Not only do I NOT want more mechanically unique cards in Legacy, but I'm especially scared of the proposed Warhammer 40K Commander Decks.  As if pressing the Rules Commitee into allowing the Walking Dead cards wasn't bad enough, now they're forcing their adult-oriented licensed merchandise on everyone.  If they don't change their minds and make it some other kind of product my playgroup will be taken over by violently competitive types and I will have no choice but to hard-ban those precons in their entirety (if you think I'm overreacting it almost happened once already).  It would be manageable if they only brought in family franchises (I would have allowed the Godzilla crossover even if it was more pushed, and the upcoming D&D set and proposed LOTR crossover sound great); going straight into product that only appeals to warmongers is an "accident" waiting to happen, and I'm very tired of people who only want to wreck @$$ and don't think a GAME should be FUN turning up everywhere I go.  I only ever considered Commander because it's a casual format and the game I quit for it didn't have one, and I've found A LOT of like-minded people to play with.

I'd imagine we've had plenty of cards that appeal to the said "warmongers". People tend to find a playstyle they enjoy and I'm sure there are pubstompers and whatnot out there, but I can't really find the correlation between people who play that way and Warhammer 40K. At least the tabletop players have always seemed like chill people and both tabletop and magic tend to require a certain attention span so that people who are into wrecking stuff usually find their fix easier.

Then again I'm very much a Johnny/Spike player and our playgroup is relatively competitive while still trying to keep things fair and that's fun to us. I'm hopeful that everyone can find a bunch of people to play with that are on the same page! Also it seems kind of unfair to judge the fans of a franchise beforehand; I'd like to think we're a welcoming community with space for different kind of people and playstyles.

BattleBear

• Decks
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 04:10:02 pm »
I am very excited for the 40k Commander decks. I think, overall, it will be fun. However, I really do not want to see people mixing different universes together in one deck. Yes, pit a Lord of the Rings Commander deck against my 40k Commander deck to see who comes out on top but please do not put Gandalf and Guilliman in the same deck.